OK, how about a space trivia question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Vanguard 1 is still in orbit after 56 years.

I think there's a Mega Mosquito flying on an F12 that's out there somewhere.... at least, we've never seen it again. LOL!

Not sure specifically, but whatever the oldest man made object on Earth is, is also the oldest man-made object in space.

I have heard of a manned V2 launch that was lost to space, or crashed into the Adriatic or the Mediterranean Sea. If true it would be in the mid 40's. I am leaning towards rumor though.

PHP:
I have heard of a manned V2 launch that was lost to space, or crashed into the Adriatic or the Mediterranean Sea. If true it would be in the mid 40's. I am leaning towards rumor though.

A MANNED V2? I doubt it. There weren't any manned flights until the 50s...
unless your making a very bad joke about Captain America and Buckey in Avengers #4....
in which case, that would be in extremely bad taste...

PHP:

A MANNED V2? I doubt it. There weren't any manned flights until the 50s...
unless your making a very bad joke about Captain America and Buckey in Avengers #4....
in which case, that would be in extremely bad taste...

No...you can Google it yourself. Like I said, I put it in the unlikely category. It's one of things that could certainly have been tried, and certainly been fatal.

No...you can Google it yourself. Like I said, I put it in the unlikely category. It's one of things that could certainly have been tried, and certainly been fatal.

I googled it. I got nothing except for the SpaceX V2 manned capsule.

If you found something else, I'd be curious to see it.

The V2 Rocket WAS the first Man Made Object to go into space but it did'nt stay there very long on its way to London or wherever its Target was.

Last edited:
Timothy Leary's brain.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Google "german v-2 manned"

Like I said, just rumor it seems:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-238682.html
https://greyfalcon.us/restored/History of German Rocketry.htm
https://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/screaminjayhawkins575.shtml
https://www.answers.com/Q/Was_the_German_v2_missile_manned_by_people

After having seen some of the early attempts at flight, I could imagine somebody thinking it's doable. The initial story I heard said a POW had been forced in to the "cabin". I heard this probably 20 years ago.

However I hear tell someone is riding steam rocket across a canyon...

a 1909 penny
"a 1909 one-cent coin is attached to Curiosity’s camera calibration target"

edit:
I was thinking the Irish flute that was on the ISS but it was brought back down, so I had to look this up.

Last edited:
Here's one.

How many Russians were launched into space before Yuri Gagarin?

V-2 couldn't achieve anything like orbital velocity, let alone escape velocity...

There that was easy...

Later! OL JR :)

They used dogs... a bunch of dogs...

Later! OL JR :)

Yes, many dogs, and other animals too:
On August 19, 1960 Russia launched Sputnik 5 (also known as Korabl-Sputnik 2) which carried the dogs Belka and Strelka, along with a gray rabbit, 40 mice, 2 rats, and 15 flasks of fruit flies and plants.
On March 9, 1961 the Soviet Union launched the Korabl-Sputnik 4 that carried a dog named Chernushka, some mice, frogs and, for the first time into space, a guinea pig.
All were successfully recovered.

During the Voskhod program, two Russian space dogs, Veterok (Ветерок, Little Wind) and Ugolyok (Уголёк, Blackie), were launched on February 22, 1966, on board Cosmos 110 and spent 22 days in orbit before landing on March 16. This spaceflight of record-breaking duration was not surpassed by humans until Skylab 2 in 1974 and still stands as the longest space flight by dogs.

...still stands as the longest space flight by dogs.

I think that is worth posting twice.

...still stands as the longest space flight by dogs.

I think that is worth posting twice.

NASA needs to send a dog or two to ISS, just because. Of course taking then out to pee could be a problem...

They are going to send up cows.
yes, it's the

herd shot round the world.

[youtube]6zXDo4dL7SU[/youtube]

Back