Need help with Parallel Boosters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumb fire

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to build a rocket with parallel boosters using high power motors. I searched the forum as best I could and did not find much when it comes to high power. I would especially like to see release mechanisms, and boosters retention device.

Does anyone has made one? I only saw two threads: one from
Heli Hacker (and his hellraiser rocket) and another (with videos) from ukrocketman site. My only fear is not having a strong enough mechanism to hold the power of high-power booster motors.

The boosters would use 38mm motor mounts and the central rocket would use a 54mm motor mount.

I will also use a raven2 to detect boosters burn out, and I would use other channels to drop the boosters.

Any comments, pictures or questions are welcome.
Angara rocket:
Angara-3 try out.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm already having the parts that Ray use to sell. A friend showed me them and gave them to me so I can reproduce them. They just don't look strong enough, and they rely on boosters motors ejection. I would rather use a central device that release the two boosters at the same time within the main rocket .

The Hellraiser drawings https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41657-Parallel-Staging-Motor-choices-and-designs&highlight=parallel+staging shows only a shear pins to retain the boosters connected to the central body. I'm not sure they will sustain high thrust "shock" from a 38mm 6grain. If the shear pin break while in thrust, this booster will go somewhere else without any fins.

I will however, order this book,
Thanks!

If anybody have an idea, please share it!
Steeve

Last edited:
Paging Kevin Trojanowski. If I recall he has done a fair amount of this type of staging.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks for your answers, it is very appreciated. Unfortunetely, we can't use black powder OUTSIDE the airframe. I had already done one, but my club is not comfortable with this idea, for now. I'm working on a mechanism with a central piston and screws attached to that piston. The screws will pass through the airframe in a slot. The boosters have small pieces of metal with a keyhole pointing upwards. This way, when the Raven ignite the black powder, the piston will rise and will release the boosters. At least I hope so ... I have to try this weekend.

20141014_190837.jpg

But I'm still open to any other releasing mechanism!
Doug, your Freeze frame is awesome!

Last edited:
Kevin (Troj on forum) used modified nylon screws. They were drilled , filled with an ematch and Bp, and sealed.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Back