Rocket Powered Monocopter Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKurtz15

Reaction score
Hello
I am new to this website so forgive me if I am posting on the wrong forum.
Anyways, I am planning on building a rocket powered monocopter from scratch. I have already purchased Francis Graham's book about monocopters to help me understand the device and become more well versed it the subject. My question is if anyone knows whether or not RockSim/Open Rocket are compatible to simulate monocopters. I have never built one before, so I believe it would be best to simulate one first. I have already asked Apogee Rockets if monocopter simulation is possible and they tentatively said yes (DIDN'T SEEM CERTAIN). However, if it is possible to simulate monocopters, I am wondering if anyone has a RockSim/Open Rocket file to download, to allow me to understand their design process through the software.

Also, I would love to hear any opinions, recommendations, and stories of anyone who has been affiliated with such devices!
Any Information would be helpful!
Thanks

Francis Graham's Book

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Books_Videos/Books/Monocopters

Last edited:
While you may be able to simulate monocopter flight what won't be simulated is the g forces that are trying to tear apart your ship. In my experience with monocopters the motor is trying to be torn away due to centrifugal force. Also you may experience CATOs because of this same force. I have had a lot of success with small monocopters. But, the larger they get the less reliable they are.

Hello
I am new to this website so forgive me if I am posting on the wrong forum.
Anyways, I am planning on building a rocket powered monocopter from scratch. I have already purchased Francis Graham's book about monocopters to help me understand the device and become more well versed it the subject. My question is if anyone knows whether or not RockSim/Open Rocket are compatible to simulate monocopters. I have never built one before, so I believe it would be best to simulate one first. I have already asked Apogee Rockets if monocopter simulation is possible and they tentatively said yes (DIDN'T SEEM CERTAIN). However, if it is possible to simulate monocopters, I am wondering if anyone has a RockSim/Open Rocket file to download, to allow me to understand their design process through the software.

Also, I would love to hear any opinions, recommendations, and stories of anyone who has been affiliated with such devices!
Any Information would be helpful!
Thanks

Francis Graham's Book

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Books_Videos/Books/Monocopters

You need to get hold of Art Applewhite. He knows loads about monocopters.

Andrew

Ed Miller did a 6 ft Monocopter on a Long burn 54 mm motor with air-starts... If I remember correctly??

JD

Back