Valspar Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I was at Lowes the other and was looking at the Valspar spray paint, not too crazy about the nozzle but the can said recoat anytime Enamel. Has anyone tried these paints? I attached the thread below stating Valspar was not a good spray paint and there was issue with drying. The nozzles could be replaced with after market nozzles so that is not an issue if the paint is any good.

https://www.valsparpaint.com/en/fin...r/spray-paint/premium-enamel-spray-paint.html

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...spar-spray-paint-from-Lowes&highlight=VALSPAR

I had a brief foray into the Valspar enamels, with the old-style nozzle that is. I never had a problem with drying times, but I just found it hard to get the finish I was after. I switched to Rustoleum enamels (2X and "stops rust" varieties) and much prefer them. I know that's rather vague, but I just like the Rustoleum paints. I obviously have nothing quantitative to back this up.

They do have some good colors, possibly different. Annoyingly named ;) ... I used Gold Abundance (yellow) and found it not at all opaque and sort of sticky, wet sand only. Also got some odd colored dot splatters at first. So if you want their color, expect to get a perfect primer finish first, otherwise use something else.

I've had no problems with the Valspar rattle can paints other then I do not like the nozzles. They do offer some different colors and I've used them with both Old formula Krylon and various series Rustoleum Rattle cans without incident. Valspar yellows seem much thinner then other's requiring more coats.

There are 4 colors of primer in the Rustoleum 2X line, white, battleship grey, brick red, and black. What's underneath can be important to the final look. I'm painting a FSI clone Black Brant ll right now and after 2 coats of primer it's added a ounce of weight, at least 2 coats more to go. With the 2X you have to be a complete paint bozo to foul up, you just about have to try to make it run. I just wish they had a decent red....and yellow.... :p

Had a bad experience with Valspar on my level 2 rocket due to a change in formulation that was pressed upon them by Big Brother, the EPA. The others will follow suit soon.

Andrew

I DO NOT like their primer. It off gassed for over a month in my garage when I used it on my PML 1/4 scale Patriot. This was this past summer in June and July.... the garage was easily 120+ during the peek of the day.

Jerome

I used their primer and topcoat and it's been about 3 days and the stuff is still sticky. Fortunately, the finish does look nice and it was just over some wood that is being used on a launch rack. But I'll never use again because the drying time is ridiculously long, and I sprayed it in very light coats.

Back