Returning to Forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After over a year and half I've been reading some posts and decided I might as well participate again once in a while.
Although my 3 Large U-Haul boxes and several other smaller boxes of stuff is still in storage at a friends house.
Only place I have to work on them now is a small cabinet makers bench I kept out of my wood shop in my small apartment bedroom.
I've been doing leather craft since the first of the year, but my eyes along with now shacky hands makes it very hard.
That's back problems for ya.
I'm hoping someday to get some of unfinished projects out storage and finish them up. I just hope I can remember what goes with what since I had little time to move. I mostly just packed stuff as fast as I could taking no perticular manor to speak of to pack.
I hope some of my old friends are still here.
I had to have the admin reactivate my account, and my friends and contact lists are now empty.
I can tell rocketry is still a booming hobby and it seams more and more are getting more technical and higher power.
I been at it since 1970, on n off. Still feel like a kid when I get to launch, even though I never got past low power.
Mostly because here in mid-lower Michian, just not enough open space without loosing them. And I've done enough of that in the past.
So Hi everyone!!! I've returned. Usually prowel around here early morning 6am est, if anyone cares.
:wink::eyeroll::surprised::pc:

Welcome back!

It's good to have you on the forum again.

I'm sort of "getting back to it after a hiatus" as well, in that I haven't built much in the last year. But I've finished a Semroc Retro Repro of the Centuri Marauder, and have started on a retro repro Orbital Transport.

Sort of makes me sad that SEMROC is fading into the night... the blow of them closing is part of what pushed me into a rocketry funk.

Anyway, welcome back. You are among friends.

Marc

Hey Guys!!!
Thanks for the warm "welcome back"!!! :surprised:
I bet you haven't changed much Brady...:lol:
I bet T Rex is still stompon on and eatin everything in sight...:bangpan:
Thanks Brent, burn some newtons for me, will ya? :cheers:
Fireworks...What can I say? I have thought of you often, and with luck...
I'll be living a lot closer to you in the next year, IF I have my way of things! :facepalm:
Thank You Kindly Old Dude...PLEASE Leave my Nana's to put on my cereral in the morn, will ya? ;)

Now, what is this about Semroc fading out? :confused:
I looked at their website and they don't have much available. :facepalm:
They were my main resource for my perticular parts in my builds in up/down sizing, and my own freakish builds. :jaw:
Not to mention the one's that Estes, Centuri and others no longer make. :pop:
The one's that I could never afford way back when and would like to build now. :clap:
I know I've been away for awhile, but I can't in realality see Semroc folding? :eyepop:
Unless...they have went the way of profit (like mega businesses) means more than the satisfaction of the American Way. :clap:
There has to be a certain amount of satisfaction in what you do for a living...:handshake:
It can't be ALL about money...or you have become one of the drowns that they are breeding us to be! :dark:

The one's that I could never afford way back when and would like to build now. :clap:
I know I've been away for awhile, but I can't in realality see Semroc folding? :eyepop:
Unless...they have went the way of profit (like mega businesses) means more than the satisfaction of the American Way. :clap:

No, it's a sadder story than that.

A year ago, Carl passed away, then on Christmas, Bruce got sick and nearly died, and after over a month's hospitalization decided he couldn't continue helping Sheryl, and she made the decision to close down.

But, she still has a lot of inventory that she's selling down. Mostly basic kits, and lots of tubes and nose cones still available.

"Mr. Green" has been dead for nearly thirty years. Call me Roy!

From what I hear, she is willing to sell the business to someone who knows rocketry and the rocketry business and will keep up the high standards she and Carl set.

If only I had the money.

There have been rumors off and on that this person or that company was about to buy Semroc, but each time Sheryl says nope, nobody's signed anything.

I bet it goes to the structure of the company. She probably didn't have to worry about paychecks or HR since it was just her and her husband and son. She now would have to hire someone, or even two or three someones, who could take over what Bruce and Carl did (i.e. run the CNC router, the laser cutter, the web server (that would be the first thing I'd farm out, since it has given her grief in the past) and product development (the last time I talked to Carl, he mentioned he now understood Estes' model of cycling product out and replacing it with new or newish product to keep sales at a sustainable level). Since the company was really Carl's passion, without him, it would be more work than she probably wanted to do at this point in her life.

Returned from Club launch today to find Semroc box at front door (order placed 2 days ago). I don't think there will ever be a company that will match their shipping and personal service, will miss them.

Ya musta heard me thinkin' about ya! Welcome back my friend!

Dave, you know you are always on my mind, and the knowledge you possess is wanted more than needed.
I hope someday I will be able to meet up with you and you can show me what I need to know.
Angles have wings, You have trust and fins, share them them brother.
LUM
JEA

Latest posts

Back