Coming Up With Cool Rocket Names For Scratch Builds.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of my names just come to me, like "Slipstream", and "Ion Disruptor", and "Unguided Mayhem". Some are based on a theme. I named my BT-80 based Mosquito the "Blood Sucker". When I built a 4" version, I Googled nicknames for large mosquitoes, and came up with "Jersey Bomber". Some are suggested by forum members, like "Tank Girl" and "Running With Scissors". "USS Pensacola", which isn't finished yet, is named after the ship my father served on in WW2. "Double Pumper", a 2 motor cluster, is named after the Holley carburetor. My first HP cluster is "Binary Effusion". Not sure how I came up with that. One that I've been working on for a couple of years now is "Bluto". 7.5" diameter, 6ft tall or so, and one 54mm with four 29mm mounts. I chose Bluto because he's fat and powerful. I've also named rockets after friends, "Hanna" and "Nicole". I named one just to mess with the LCO: "Stretch Alpha III Goony 3 Fin 4 Fin Two Stage".

Here are some of my names:
Lunar Limo, Cosmic Cruiser, Kaniption, Grinder, Slicer, Hypershock, Shockwave, Space Walker, Syndrome, Zipper

I've tend to pull names from mythology or from constellations (which, of course, overlaps). Not the most creative thing in the world of rocketry, but seems appropriate to me.

These are the names of my rockets - don't ask me where they come from:

Raspulescent
Fioravante
(blame it on the) BlackStar
FENTON!
Trang
Swarmprince
W(er)c
Szegre
the Brucolac
Cousin Oskaar
Elvun V3
Triple Parasitic
Phantic
Khap Suhl
Divertimento #4
Future History
Tepes
Duwahn Vare
ULAR 2(b)
LacSar
Goh Ran

s6

These are the names of my rockets - don't ask me where they come from:

Raspulescent
Fioravante
(blame it on the) BlackStar
FENTON!
Trang
Swarmprince
W(er)c
Szegre
the Brucolac
Cousin Oskaar
Elvun V3
Triple Parasitic
Phantic
Khap Suhl
Divertimento #4
Future History
Tepes
Duwahn Vare
ULAR 2(b)
LacSar
Goh Ran

s6

I like Phantic best. Cool name. Sounds like something I didn't think about, but could have.

I like Phantic best. Cool name. Sounds like something I didn't think about, but could have.

You gave away my secret method!
Whenever I need a name I think, "What would Gary have thought of, but hasn't?" Now EVERYBODY will do it this way!

:D
s6

Crime Scene - decorated with that yellow tape
Creamsicle - cause it is orange and white
3000 Pound Crush - cause that is the pipe I built it out of. Just left the little printed text on the pipe unpainted.

My next one will be a kit.

I denounce myself on this thread.

My names are always theme based
TIMBER WOLF
DIRE WOLF
TIGER WOLF
ARCTIC WOLF
COYOTE
All Interceptor based and I have a wolf,so I'm a bit biased
BERSERKER
DRAN LOC
Alien stuff
THUNDER CHILD
BAINBRIDGE
Steam punk with a story
20 Mill---after the movie
TINGLER--after the movie
JQ-incomplete but named for the series
BOXSTER--self explanatory
STEALTHCEPTOR/WRAITH--You voted for it but it fits perfect

Last edited:
The names just kinda happen.

For my L1 project, my youngest jumped up on my lap looked at the OR file and said what was meant to be "favorite of me", but in his 2 year old pronunciation came out more like "Fav'rit 2 B".

I was trying to decide what to call a 38 MD project in the works, and I picked up a 38-1080 case from Robert (buyrocketmotors.com). He commented that it looked like a mini baseball bat. I had been listening to The Ramones earlier that day, so I think I will call the rocket "The Brat".

[video=youtube_share;3HUGeA2lur4]https://youtu.be/3HUGeA2lur4[/video]

I will beat on "The Brat" with a baseball bat!

I Was going to have a theme, but my L1 rocket beat me. We got some fluorescent orange paint that had an awful finish. Anything it touched got covered in orange dust. As we were thinking of names, my wife suggested "Cheeto Dust" and it stuck. I'd be cautious with bad luck names like "Zipper" and "Shredder". My younger daughter started a theme of Federation starships destroyed in episodes or movies. "Kobayashi Maru" was unstable (honestly, OpenRocket said it was fine!) and "Constellation" lost a fin on her maiden flight. Hopefully, the third time is the charm. I'm not superstitious person, but some names are like dancing on a mountaintop in a thunderstorm holding a steel rod and yelling "The gods do not exist!" :) (RIP Terry Pratchett)

Back in the early 80s, I had a scratch-built contest peewee payloader that I named "SPOOMERT-1". Have no idea what inspired that!

Here are some of mine:

Indestructible V
Sheesh Kabob
Square Banana
0.6 Sigma
Brownian Motion
Ye Olde Amish Rocket
The Polar Viper
Peppermint Twist
Possum Free Zone
Kimono Dragon

And the dead cat series (named for pets that have passed on)
Ramses
Zeus
Sammypooh
Kelsie
Luna
Tonka

Years ago I was working on a Vaughn Brothers Extreme 38 - minimum diameter rocket for an on-going speed contest that season - "Mach madness".
I was going to call it: Mach Schnell

I showed up at a Red Glare launch that month, and a guy who shall go unnamed had finished a rocket - and given it the same name.

I never finished it, set it aside.
Couldn't stand the idea of looking like a copy cat.
Maybe I'll finish it - if I can come up with a name I like.

Last edited:
Here's a few more from my big ole list. Stay away from these Mr Estes, they're already being used.

Mantis Phantom
Protovamp
Magic Dart
Windjammer
Tube-o-licious
Nexus Vortex
Omegazilla
Pulsar Shark
Gyro Dragon

And I really like this title. Just gotta figure out the right design for it...Notorious Boris.

Back