Coming Up With Cool Rocket Names For Scratch Builds.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I find myself thinking of Names to use on Rockets quite frequently.
I then will take what I thought was an original sounding Name, and Type it into Google, and usually find that it is the name of a Company or even worse, be directed to the "Urban Slang Dictionary" where I find the Word that I thought sounded so good actually means something Vulgar.
Rather than give up, I figured I'de start this Thread, where folks can just throw out Names, and they will be free to use for whomever wants them.
A "Name Share" if you will.
The one I thought of this Morning is "Tykon 10 Annihilator"
It will be used on a BT-80 Bird I'm building right now, but it sounds like a cool Name, and it's hard to think of cool Names, so it's free if anyone else wants to use it too.

Tykon 10 Annihilator 001.jpg

Last edited:
Hey TR-great idea! For most of my birds, a warped (hahah-get it?) sense of humour does it for me. The basic attributes also help. Mostly you can figure out the route I used to get there like the Mirage II was a remake of my beloved Aerotech Mirage with almost 100 flights on it until I packed the chute and too much dogbarf in it.
"Momentum" depends on a shift kick in the fins and a long coast period to apogee.
"African-I-zed" is a bumble bee paint job (black and yellow) 38 cluster bird flying on, well, 'I' motors.
"Grey Wolf" is a DD Arctic Wolf left in primer.
"Blackout" is a G-Force with a tail cone painted flat black (altimeter testing bed) and "Quantum Fryzzyxx" is a double play on words with Quantum tubing and my screen name.
"Pimp Child-it's all Mark's fault" is a WildChild blinged out with purple, orange and silver with a little help from StickerShock and has a (very) small fan club.
So you can see I have a problem coming up with 'cool' names too. I like this idea and the launch card is wide open for name suggestions. Thx TR!

I keep a google doc where I log any fleeting thoughts that seem like a good name. When the time comes I can just pick from the list.

Whats in a name?
I dont know. I do know I dont have any rockets named Bambi or Bingo.
Ive changed the name of one or two while filling out the flight card for its first flight.

My newest name for a rocket is "NotALawnDart"... In remembrance of the last one I built just like it... A Loc Aura that I build and launched once, right into the ground. Hoping this new one with the name will be more successful.
Working on a completely bashed AMRAAM 2.1 with some sweet fins... As it was spinning in OR, I realized my custom fins look like a blender. Viola! Name. But I hate that name. So I'll come up with something else by the time I finish building it.

to me, the king of rocket names is the Vatsaas Bros https://www.vatsaas.org/rtv/ I wish I had their flair! Closest I came was naming a rocket designed for F-G power using L1 building techniques "Preparation H".

My newest name for a rocket is "NotALawnDart"... In remembrance of the last one I built just like it... A Loc Aura that I build and launched once, right into the ground. Hoping this new one with the name will be more successful.
Working on a completely bashed AMRAAM 2.1 with some sweet fins... As it was spinning in OR, I realized my custom fins look like a blender. Viola! Name. But I hate that name. So I'll come up with something else by the time I finish building it.

If not blender, how about Ninja Mixer for that new fangled gadget I see on TV all the time with the squirly blades?

Hey, poke your nose into this generator I found. Generally I don't have a problem with finding something creative for a name, but a little assistance never hurts. I scrolled down the list to find alien planets names and alien race names, then after jotting a healthy list of possible candidates, I started mixing them up to my liking. Here a few I used from mix-matching.

Psycho Devil
Dynakiller
Platinum Centaur

Here's the link https://www.seventhsanctum.com/

I have named a rocket "No Continuity" before just to screw with the LCO. ..............On Pad 5 we have No Continuity,,,,,, We have Continuity on Pad 5 and No Continuity going up in 5...4.... wait a minute.....

...Fudd

This is MUCH funnier as the original spoken-word piece, if you can find the audio.

Jello Biafra Lists Great Names for Bands

Posted on January 3, 2014 by Mr. Wilson

On his spoken word album “No More Cocoons”. former Dead Kennedys front man Jello Biafra, includes a track titled “Names for Bands (New Improved), in which he discusses the frequency in which people ask him to come up with band names for him , and comes up with several possibilities. For your enjoyment, I have decided to list all his proposed band names here, as well as notes about what genres each band is supposed to fall into (where this is specified).

First he lists names that he thinks are all too formulaic:
The Lone Cowboys
Leather Wolf
Night Ranger
Spychefunkapus

Later on he also mentions a few more overly generic names:
Bad Attitude
Vengeance
The LA Guns

He also lists generic hardcore punk band names (that he says make the genre look bad):
Youth of Today (He says this was a real band.)
Angry Youth
Bored Youth
Bored Suburban Youth
White Suburban Youth
Youth Army
Wasted Youth
Young Youth (a suggestion from Husker Du’s Bob Mould)
Old Youth (a name for a proposed band made up of Maximumrocknroll writers)
Dead Youth
Generic Youth
Senile Youth
Redundant Youth

Next he start’s listing proposed names for other genres:

Mondale (A Walter Mondale themed Heavy Metal Band)
Magnum Jihad (an Islamic speed/thrash metal band signed to Great Satan Records)
Earth Fart (a new age band)
Pork Barrel (A Lynyrd Skynyrd style southern rock band)
The Dentists
Electric Meat
Pink Meat
Anchovy Smegma
Terrorist for Peace
Black Lung
Zion Popsickle
My Sweet Slaughterhouse
Pets Eat Their Master
Hunk
Tits Ass and Money
Absentee Thought Lords
Criminal Spa
War Cookies
Republican Buttocks
Shut Up and Buy
Frankenchrist
Peeping Tom Collins
Chocolate Fetus
Great Wall of Goat Urine
Tumor Circus
Mosquito Cleavage
Christmasturbation
Uranium Play Pen
King Pork
Madonna Death Cult
Peppermint Leprosy
Angel Puss
The Magic Truncheons
The Lone Derangers
Three Mile Colostomy
The Gingerbread Werewolves
Satan’s Buttermilk
Air Guitar
The Janitors of Anarchy
Lost Orgasm
Root Canal
Be My Urinal
Bark on Cue
The Crotch Puppets
Magnum Dada
God
Conform or Die
Fun With Treason
You’re Fired
Video Sex Pope
Al Sharpton’s Hair
Cancer Cures Everything
South Africa
John Wayne on Acid
Rogue Boner
Radio Free Pig Vomit
The Ku Klux Flintstones
Elvis Rehnquist
Crushed Velvet Vivisection
Dracula Was Gay
Witch Penis
The Manson Surfers
Bank of Sodom
Keystone Storm Troopers
Sausage Gone Wrong
Aryan Embarrassment (A Nazi Skinhead Band)
Franky Goes to The Bathroom
The Doomsday Pop Tarts
Autistic Chainsaw
Bono’s Chard Remains
Sell Your Mom
Pneumonia Wranglers
Helter Syringe
The Imperial Turdsickles
Primer Gray Erection
Failure
Fraud (a high priced Arena rock band)

I want to do a Scratch Build with a Hitchhikers Guide Theme, and give it and Name like "Heart Of Gold" or "Kill-o-Zap Blaster".

I have named a rocket "No Continuity" before just to screw with the LCO. ..............On Pad 5 we have No Continuity,,,,,, We have Continuity on Pad 5 and No Continuity going up in 5...4.... wait a minute.....

...Fudd
ROTFLMAO! Gary- you are just evil! Never change dude!

You can theme a rocket. My latest will be named Boom Stick. It will have an Evil Dead theme. Sticker Shock can really help bring a theme together.
boom.jpg

I like to name rockets something which is not at first obvious. Painted a Minnie Magg gloss black and put an 8 ball on it. What did I name it? Jackie Gleason

phone dump 214.jpg

I want to do a Scratch Build with a Hitchhikers Guide Theme, and give it and Name like "Heart Of Gold" or "Kill-o-Zap Blaster".

Galactic Hyperhearse has a nice ring to it... It's so... black! You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it. Your eyes just slide right off of it. It's just totally frictionless. It'd have to be a mother of a mover.

I've decided that my HGTTG Themed Rocket will be called "Maxi-Slorta Hypernuclear Device", from Life, The Universe And Everything, referenced on Page 78.:)

I like the idea of choosing one word from category A and another from category B and putting them together as some already have done here; i.e. Tequila Mockingbird. Maybe something with astronomy or aerospace for Category B, so Hogsmeade Quasar or Syncopation Nebula or Gnarly Lagrangian.

I tend to like wordplay and puns: "Vertical Horizon" for a tall thin rocket, "Braking Bad" for a rocket with a speedbrake, "Ringing Endorsement" for one with multiple ring fins, "Parallel Process" for one with ribs running the length of the body tube.

I also have some overly-literal ones: "My First Two Stage Rocket," which is exactly what it says on the tin, "Vector Six," which is a six-finned clone of the Vector V, and a "Random Green Rocket" that was tossed together with no plan to work from and spray-painted green.

...Fudd

I'm going to use that! :lol:

Back