Wildman V2 Sport (BUild Thread) (Directions Preview)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First step is to install the retainer onto the motor mount tube. You will need a 29MM motor casing with a rear closure, this is used to set the proper depth of the retainer for a proper fit.
Tim pointed out an slight lip which was mean to be the alignment point. I promptly ignored this and did as you say here.

Last edited:
Here's my RockSim file for the WM V-2. As I said elsewhere, I flew it (single deploy) on an AT G-76 and it flew like a champ. I can't find my JL AltimeterII, so I can only guess it achieved about 1000'.

ps Make sure you do a SaveAs unless you can read XML code...

Curious how others attached their nosecone? No mention in the build thread.

I thought about doing that, but want the option to put an eggfinder in there if I desire. I'm thinking allthread and a bulkhead. That should still give enough room for a chute.

I thought about doing that, but want the option to put an eggfinder in there if I desire. I'm thinking allthread and a bulkhead. That should still give enough room for a chute.

The 2.1" is a tight fit without any electronics. Are you building the 2.1" or the 2.6"?

It's the 2.6" LDRS special. Decided that just epoxying a Kevlar loop makes the most sense.

I'll stick a sonic locator in it to let me know which tree it lands in. ;)

This size rocket works very well is mini buttons. 1010 buttons look huge on it...mini's are a great fit.
v2-1.jpg

v2-3.jpg

built mine this weekend, just in time! I used the motor mount centering ring for the nosecone. opened it up to a 38mm coupler diameter so I could use my 38mm eggfinder setup in it. I used a loop of 1/4" kevlar for the cord mount.
UkwtT-u1LzaLhKQr5bh7Am7_4MaRYcQPCon8l7V-CgI=w890-h667-no

don't need to stinking centering ring
h6EgcZUnKAt_HPN1loDbe_Z6AIkFg0qPqHVmMMUIz1E=w437-h328-no

fhDdRuTtenRePP1harCRCR69EZoQ_Uih19R2vYO_LC0=w501-h667-no

Just pulled my kit out to build and I've got a few questions for those who've already built one.

The provided motor retention does not seem to fit the Aerotech 29mm HPR cases; seems to work great with 29mm hobbyline motors. The HPR case will slip in, but not the closures, meaning the retention device will not work with one. Could always tape it, but just verifying that the Wildman retainer doesn't work with 29mm HPR cases.

Is there a consensus on nose weight? Seems I saw 3oz a few times.

Anyone use the Acme rail guides? If so, which size worked, the 54mm or 3"?

The AT HPR retainer fits mine just fine, but only from the correct end. It would not go all the way through the retainer.

Just pulled my kit out to build and I've got a few questions for those who've already built one.

The provided motor retention does not seem to fit the Aerotech 29mm HPR cases; seems to work great with 29mm hobbyline motors. The HPR case will slip in, but not the closures, meaning the retention device will not work with one. Could always tape it, but just verifying that the Wildman retainer doesn't work with 29mm HPR cases.

Is there a consensus on nose weight? Seems I saw 3oz a few times.

Anyone use the Acme rail guides? If so, which size worked, the 54mm or 3"?

It all depends on how you install it. I used an AT case and closure to make sure it would fit. Order of operations is key.
Nose weight: I'm referring to CTI motors here: 2 grain needed no nose weight. 3 grain was a little squirrelly without, but still OK, I added a little weight for flying those in the future. Then, flew mine on a 6-grain H399 without zero weight in the nose. From what I saw, it flew straight. Didn't see it except for the trail of smoke. Recovered perfectly fine.

Back