Wildman V2 Sport (BUild Thread) (Directions Preview)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRIFFIN

Reaction score
That's right, Tim the Wildman has done it again. Another Kick A$$ kit!!

This is the new Sport V2.DSCN2393.JPG

Features:

Lightweight, thin-wall tubing
29mm motor mount
New poly-magic-fast-and-light nosecone
custom (no tools needed) snap ring motor retainer (built in and doubles as the rear centering ring)
Guaranteed to give your neighbor V2 envy
Builds quick and strong (built this one in one weekend)
Flies on F to I motors
Could be the winner of the MWP drag race

Last edited:
Here are the parts:

Nose cone
4 fins
54mm Body Tube
Boat tail (Slotted)
29mm motor mount tube
Forward centering ring
Aluminum rear centering ring/retainer

DSCN2367.JPG

First step is to install the retainer onto the motor mount tube. You will need a 29MM motor casing with a rear closure, this is used to set the proper depth of the retainer for a proper fit.

DSCN2368.JPG

Sand the end end of the motor tube with 60 grit sand paper (about an inch and a half) and place the motor into the tube with the closure as shown.

DSCN2369.JPG

Slide the motor retainer over the motor and onto the motor mount tube.

---make sure you have the snap ring in place and the retainer is not on upside down- the snap ring should sit about an 1/4' into the tube. if you have more than that, its on upside down.

DSCN2370.JPG

Hey, look at that!! I figured out how to put more than one picture in a post!!!

While holding the retainer in place, draw a line around the motor tube to use as a reference point.

Remove the motor from the assembly and set off to the side.

DSCN2371.JPG

Attach the motor retainer to the motor mount tube with J/B Weld. Make sure to keep the inside free of "ooozing" and also check fit of motor during the cure process. Once it has cured, you can prepare the motor tube for the shock cord installation.

DSCN2376.JPG

Sand the entire motor mount tube then mask off the section that will hold the shock cord. This will also be a good time to make a notch in the forward centering ring. This will be to pass the shock cord through.

DSCN2377.JPG DSCN2380.JPG

Last edited:
Next, epoxy the shock cord onto the motor mount encapsulating it with epoxy.

DSCN2382.JPG

You will need to use the forward centering ring as an alignment tool for the motor mount during fin placement. Using thin tape, make two tabs (wrap thin strips all the way around the ring. These tabs will be used to remove the ring once the motor mount tube and fins are tacked in place.

DSCN2385.JPG

Tuck all the shock cord into the forward end of the motor mount tube and place motor mount tube into the boat tail (pictures shows fins only placed in position to hold up assembly- not epoxied in yet)

Place the forward centering ring into the boat tail and onto the motor mount tube (DO NOT USE ANT GLUE OR EPOXY AT THIS TIME)

DSCN2386.JPG

Prepare the fins for installation. Test fit, sand and clean up any edges.

DSCN2375.JPG

Flip the boat tail assembly over and find something for it to balance on. Install 2 of the fins (180' apart) you can use the epoxy of your choice for this step. This build was done with the proven "foam and fly" technique so, 5 min epoxy was used. This is also the time when you would set the motor mounts final position. As you see in the picture, the motor mount is flush with the bottom of the boat tail. Let the epoxy completely set up before moving on to the next set of fins.

Notice the fin jig. available at your local dollar store.

DSCN2383.JPG

Off to bed. Finish the rest tomorrow.

I bet Tim gets at least 10 calls about this kit before the build thread is complete.

Back at it. Once the first set of fins have set up, tack in place the second set (using the same fin jig idea as before). As long as the jig is holding the fins nice and straight, the fins will automatically line up 90' apart from each other. As you see, the jig can be a small section of aluminum or a nice straight piece of ply wood. The key is to clamp down on the fins and hold them flat.

DSCN2384.JPG

For the next step, you will need to decide how you want to finish off the inside of the fin can. In this build, I used the 2 part foam. You may also use epoxy and make internal fillets. Its up to you and your preference.

Here is the approved 2 part foam. DO NOT USE GREAT STUFF!!!! It may be great for other things, but not rockets.

DSCN2387.JPG

If you have not ever used the foam before, don't worry, its pretty easy. The foam is a 1:1 mix. I used a small mixing cup like the ones used for epoxy. mixed up about 1/2-3/4 full. I quickly poured the mixture into the boat tail and made sure it was even around all the fins.

After a few seconds, the foam starts to work. It will most likely expand up and over the edge of the rocket. DO NOT PANIC!! let it cure and pick/cut off the extra. As you see in the picture, the foam did not ooze over mine....that's because I took the picture just before it did....don't believe for a minute that I am that good with the foam.

DSCN2388.JPG

After the foam has fully cured. Cut off the excess and clean up any foam that may have leaked out through any open seams. I had a TINY amount leak through the boat tail around the base and a few small spots at the fins. Very easy to sand off.

If you have a Dremel tool , you can remove a small amount of the foam from the inside of the boat tail shoulder, this will give you some room to epoxy in the forward centering ring.

Remove the tape tabs from the centering ring and epoxy in the ring.

If you decided not to use the foam, this would be the time to place your internal fillets and then epoxy the forward centering ring down into the boat tail shoulder.

DSCN2389.JPGDSCN2390.JPG

After all the epoxy cures on the booster, you can now epoxy the body tube in place. I used West systems 5 min epoxy here also. once the epoxy cures, prep the fins and boat tail for the external fillets. Sand the area with 60 grit sandpaper.

DSCN2394.JPG

Mask off the fins and boat tail for your fillet. I will be using J/B weld for the fillets on this. You can use Rocket-poxy, West Systems with silica or whatever product you like best.

Carefully spread an even amount of product in between the tape dam, make sure you are free of air bubbles.

DSCN2395.JPGDSCN2396.JPG

Smooth out the fillet with a small round dowel (I used the back of a marker that was about 1/2" round)

DSCN2398.JPG

When you are happy with the look of the fillet, remove the tape and set aside to cure. You can do as many as you are comfortable doing at one time. Just be aware of dripping product and make sure to check on it as it is setting up.

DSCN2397.JPG

For the next step, you will need to decide how you want to finish off the inside of the fin can. In this build, I used the 2 part foam. You may also use epoxy and make internal fillets. Its up to you and your preference.

Here is the approved 2 part foam. DO NOT USE GREAT STUFF!!!! It may be great for other things, but not rockets.

Did you add any water to your foam mix?

No water added to the foam. That will only weaken the foam.

Back