Wildman V2 Sport (BUild Thread) (Directions Preview)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finishing up:

Install the rail buttons. Be aware that the gap in between the nose cone shoulder and the boat tail shoulder is less than 1/2". Measure carefully and place the forward button in between the gap of the two shoulders. The lower one can go at the lower end of the body tube.

If you decide to use a launch lug, glue it on with epoxy and center it as needed.

I also drilled a small (1/8") vent hole just above the forward button.

DSCN2399.JPG

Install the parachute, attach all the shock cords and go fly.

Mine is complete with all recovery gear at 1 pound

The balance point is just about an inch forward of the aft end of the body tube.
It will fly on an F motor test flight next weekend. Pictures and video report to follow.

DSCN2404.JPG

This is fantastic. I was going to ask if I could get a custom kit made from two 54mm nose cones. now I don't have to :)
Glue on rail guides may be a better option for these allowing you to put them at the extreme ends of the straight body tube section.

Last edited:
Very nice.

So when will it be available, and how much? Just looked on the web site and it is not listed yet.

Knock Knock...TIM!!!

They have questions and money in their hands!

Really cool looking rocket, and the proposed price point is fantastic.

Since the body tube is inherently short, instead of drilling holes for rail guides, could a single conformal rail guide be used instead of traditional 1010 type rail guides?

Justin

Really cool looking rocket, and the proposed price point is fantastic.

Since the body tube is inherently short, instead of drilling holes for rail guides, could a single conformal rail guide be used instead of traditional 1010 type rail guides?

Justin

Yes, I thought about rail guides as we'll and thought this would be a perfect application for them. Then I remembered the times when those things have popped off on me. I think they would look better and function perfectly. I'm just to clumsy and would be stuck at a launch with a sad face and a missing rail guide.

.........and I only have one set of those rail guides in stock and I have another rocket planned for them :wink:

Yes, I thought about rail guides as we'll and thought this would be a perfect application for them. Then I remembered the times when those things have popped off on me. I think they would look better and function perfectly. I'm just to clumsy and would be stuck at a launch with a sad face and a missing rail guide.

There's got to be a way to drill holes in those guides and sink a screw without interfering with the rail... Or am I just showing my new-ness?

Alot of people use those rail guides on Minimum Diameter rockets where there is no meat to sink a screw.

Install the parachute, attach all the shock cords and go fly.

Mine is complete with all recovery gear at 1 pound

The balance point is just about an inch forward of the aft end of the body tube.
It will fly on an F motor test flight next weekend. Pictures and video report to follow.

How big a chute & what length/size shock cord did you use or recommend?

Here is a close up of the motor retainer ring for those who have asked about it.ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1413470180.040147.jpg

Beep beep boop boop

Working on getting it done now. Will bring it painted or not.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Are they for sale yet? Not on the website yet.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Test flew the V2 today. It was a fairly windy (cold) day here. I flew it on an Aerotech F42-4, the flight was straight as an arrow and went about twice as high as I thought it would go. The only nose weight was my tracker (com spec). It landed in some cat tails and I had a challenging recovery. Sorry no pics, only witnesses.

Tim, him, get these things ready to go, they are pretty sweet. Good job with another great rocket.

How high did it go? Or do you even know?

Not to sure. Had no electronics at all on board. All I can say is, use a small chute. It seemed to go as high as a Wildchild on an F. I would guess somewhere near 1000'-1200'

More like 9-12in max.
Or be prepared for a long walk with larger motors, these things are slippery & really scoot!

Last I heard, there might be a Midwest Power sale. Check with Wildman about the details.

I might have missed this but what are the tubes made from, carbon?Great looking kit and priced right.

Back