Open Rocket files disapear!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
This is the second time I've clicked on a file in Open Rocket and
when the page tries to come up it gives me a box that says missing file!
It was there until I clicked on it to open it up again!

Anyone else have this happen? And where did the file go?

So aggravating to put in the time on a rocket drawing to watch it go away one day...

JP

What OS are you running? Where are you saving the Open Rocket files? Maybe you are trying to save them to a "protected" area of Windows, and it is helpfully moving them to the virtual store for you. I known RockSim did that to me when I first upgraded to Windows 7.

I was running 14.03. Just updated to the latest.
Running Windows 7 machine.
I think they are being saved to Documents. That's what came up when I just looked
at my LOC IV file.

I usually click on "recent" in OR to open a rocket file.
My magnum 3 was there all the times I've been working on it until I clicked it today, then it went away...

Don't know.
I'll look around and hopefully it's there somewhere. Right now I'm trying to work out the CG and the possibility
I'll have to add nose weight to it.
I found a file on the net for Roc Sim and it shows the CP/CG and stability margin. That's all the help I have at this time.

JP

When Sauron was defeated, all the orks disappeared.

On a more helpful note... Just because you clicked on a file in your Recent Files list does not mean the file was there until you clicked on it, and now its gone. The list shows files that were recently opened, and it remembers their location at that time. But if the file has been moved or deleted since then, the program does not know that, the name of the file will still appear in the list, and when you click on it, you get the missing file message you saw.

Try doing a search for the file name you are looking for. Or search for "*.ork" to find all the OpenRocket ork files. Once you know where your file is, use File-Open in OR to go to that location and open the file.

For better computer housekeeping, you should create a folder for your rocket files and always keep them there.

When Sauron was defeated, all the orks disappeared.

On a more helpful note... Just because you clicked on a file in your Recent Files list does not mean the file was there until you clicked on it, and now its gone. The list shows files that were recently opened, and it remembers their location at that time. But if the file has been moved or deleted since then, the program does not know that, the name of the file will still appear in the list, and when you click on it, you get the missing file message you saw.

Try doing a search for the file name you are looking for. Or search for "*.ork" to find all the OpenRocket ork files. Once you know where your file is, use File-Open in OR to go to that location and open the file.

For better computer housekeeping, you should create a folder for your rocket files and always keep them there.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

JP

So I did a search on the PC for Programs and Files and found the Magnum 3 file. It showed me
all of the ORK Files and there it was!
Looking at it's properties it was set to only open up using Rocsim. I didn't buy that program
but used a trial version. I had to change it to open with Open Rocket, save it to desk top then
open with Open Rocket.

I suppose I need do delete Rocsim off my PC so this doesn't happen again...
Don't know how it got changed to that Program, I certainly didn't save it as that!

JP

So I did a search on the PC for Programs and Files and found the Magnum 3 file. It showed me
all of the ORK Files and there it was!
Looking at it's properties it was set to only open up using Rocsim. I didn't buy that program
but used a trial version. I had to change it to open with Open Rocket, save it to desk top then
open with Open Rocket.

I suppose I need do delete Rocsim off my PC so this doesn't happen again...
Don't know how it got changed to that Program, I certainly didn't save it as that!

JP

I'm glad you found it. There is nothing worse than work lost to a computer snafu!

The ork file extension probably got associated with Rocsim when you installed Rocsim.

I do not think you need to remove Rocsim, unless you don't use it and won't miss it. I think, even if you do remove it, you won't be able to just click on the file in a folder and have it automatically open in OpenRocket. I think it is because OR is a java program and not an "installed" application. You will probably always have to open OR first and then open the file from OR.

I'm glad you found it. There is nothing worse than work lost to a computer snafu!

The ork file extension probably got associated with Rocsim when you installed Rocsim.

I do not think you need to remove Rocsim, unless you don't use it and won't miss it. I think, even if you do remove it, you won't be able to just click on the file in a folder and have it automatically open in OpenRocket. I think it is because OR is a java program and not an "installed" application. You will probably always have to open OR first and then open the file from OR.

Right.
I always open up Open Rocket from my desk top first then open the files for my rockets.
Thanks for your help!

JP

Back