NEW MWP DRAG RACE

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wildman Hobbies and CTI are sponsoring a Drag Race for all ages.
First rocket returned wins.
The particulars.

The motor .

A G80 Skid Mark .

The rocket .

Any Wildman Rocket with a Stock 29mm motor mount.

The deal.

A G80 Skidmark reload with a 29 3 grain case, a 29 spacer, and a rear closure.
All for only $29 must be flown in the drag race.

Might as well make it two sparky events--I'm a go (but what day/time?).

I'm in. sounds like this could be fun. Bunch of fat old men running in a field :)

I'm in. sounds like this could be fun. Bunch of fat old men running in a field :)

Are you kidding? With my bum knees I can't run! Time to implement my guided return technology to land right in front of the check-in table. :)

Sounds like fun. Not a bad idea for a drag race. I can already imagine 4 and 5 pound rockets on the pads... :p

Who has already filled their nose cone with lead?

Do need to have a no damage and minimum apogee rule or someone (like myself) will deliberately be gathering and turning in piece parts within seconds after the launch button is pushed.

Do need to have a no damage and minimum apogee rule or someone (like myself) will deliberately be gathering and turning in piece parts within seconds after the launch button is pushed.
Better idea than mine for sure!:y:

Hmmm... So many strategies. I am not going, but some ideas:
1. "Forget" your igniter...
2. "Accidentally" short the wires...
3. Use a "slightly larger" payload that normal... (that bowling ball could be useful)
4. No one said you couldn't duct tape the rocket to the pad...

3 questions...

1. Do you have to return the whole rocket? Or is a fin or two OK?
2. Do you have to return the same rocket?
3. Aren't most Wildman drag races won by substituting a different (larger) motor? :p

I'm in. My kids run faster than yours.

OK, time to bring out the "big guns"--grandsons stationed strategically, North, South, East and West! May even give them each a baseball mitt so they really understand their role.

Wildman Hobbies and CTI are sponsoring a Drag Race for all ages.
First rocket returned wins.

Can I return my rocket .......... before the race.. for the win?

Can I launch the motor separately , then just carry my rocket to the return table for the win?:lol:

I might be in.. I don't intend on running after my rocket, so I automatically lose, but that is fine. I will just go for landing at my feet.

However, what day? I can't get Friday off and Sunday would give me a chance to build a new 29mm kit in the hotel after I visit the trailer on Saturday.

OK, time to bring out the "big guns"--grandsons stationed strategically, North, South, East and West! May even give them each a baseball mitt so they really understand their role.

Four kids?? Shoot... Time to bring the neighbors to a launch.

I can already imagine someone bringing an entire school in with instructions...

"Alrighty kiddos... When you see the bright orange rocket, get to it and bring it to that guy with the funny looking vest that says 'RSO' on it. If you pass any rockets that aren't the one you are looking for, make sure you hide them. Alrighty... you 30 go over there, you 30 here, and you little guy trip, fall, and start fake crying when LCO hits the button. That should distract those guys enough. Hmmm... This is gonna work great... "

Not implying anyone would do this... but under past actions I have heard of, well... :rofl:

I can already imagine someone bringing an entire school in with instructions...

"Alrighty kiddos... When you see the bright orange rocket, get to it and bring it to that guy with the funny looking vest that says 'RSO' on it. If you pass any rockets that aren't the one you are looking for, make sure you hide them. Alrighty... you 30 go over there, you 30 here, and you little guy trip, fall, and start fake crying when LCO hits the button. That should distract those guys enough. Hmmm... This is gonna work great... "

Not implying anyone would do this... but under past actions I have heard of, well... :rofl:

Clearly needs to be a "rocketeer recovers own rocket flown" rule.

In fact, I can see Gus picking mine up and hiding it in a culvert BTW while walking in with his own and a big grin on his face :D

OK I see there needs to be a little resemblance of control here.
The rockets must have a working parachute not (loose shroud lines) or streamers or forgotten quick links "Jason". This will be checked at the rso , no excuses.
Substitute runners are acceptable. "We are getting a little old"
Motor deals will be on first come first serve basis Saturday morning you must show up at the Wildman trailer with your rocket ready to go to receive your motor deal.
Anyone seen pushing or shoving or tripping will automatically be disqualified, unless you are tripping Gus or Steve and Tim D's Grand kids all 30 of them, then its OK.
The race will be on Saturday at 10 we are pushing the button , providing weather is not a problem .
The winner will receive the 4" version of the rocket a they flew to win.

Last edited:
Back