TRP: The Rocketry Podcast

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only other one that I've come across it the space rocket history podcast. but i haven't been keeping up with it.

i'll give this one a shot. thanks for the link. :)

They pulled 10 year old rmr faq and posted it...it is out of date.

Wow, you guys operate fast!

Just logged in to post about our show. 5x7: Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is an old entry. We've added it mainly for folks who have been out of the hobby for a while, and have no idea how far it has come. The first few shows will cover basics, and we'll be adding more info (and updated info) on the site as we move along.

In the meantime, any feedback would be most appreciated, and any ideas or guests you folks would like for us to snag for interviews would be great as well! We have a ton of show topics already, but it's no good if our ideas are not quite what the rocketry community as a whole are interested in. :)

The first show was an introduction, and a shakedown voyage for our studio & studio gear, and podcast delivery system.

We're excited to start the process on something we hope will be a welcome addition to the rocketry community!

Thanks again for the comments!

-Cornelius

Wow, you guys operate fast!

Just logged in to post about our show. 5x7: Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is an old entry. We've added it mainly for folks who have been out of the hobby for a while, and have no idea how far it has come. The first few shows will cover basics, and we'll be adding more info (and updated info) on the site as we move along.

In the meantime, any feedback would be most appreciated, and any ideas or guests you folks would like for us to snag for interviews would be great as well! We have a ton of show topics already, but it's no good if our ideas are not quite what the rocketry community as a whole are interested in. :)

The first show was an introduction, and a shakedown voyage for our studio & studio gear, and podcast delivery system.

We're excited to start the process on something we hope will be a welcome addition to the rocketry community!

Thanks again for the comments!

-Cornelius

Thanks for doing this! Look forward to future shows.

I'll admit I haven't listened to more than the first couple of minutes yet. I'm working through a long interview on another podcast with a couple of old apple engineers. Pretty interesting stuff, but can't listen to it in the car with my boys. (They use several, shall we say, "colorful metaphors") Have about one more drive home worth of that and then this one is up next. I'll wait to listen to the show before giving feedback :p

I've added the podcast to my phone, but are you planning to try to get it published in the podcast section of iTunes to help with discoverablility?

Thanks, rbelknap...

It has been submitted to Apple. The podcast is under review. We'll see what additional hoops (if any) are needed next.
In the meantime, if you want to manually add it to iTunes, or other podcast app, the feed can be accessed by entering:

https://www.therocketryshow.com/feed

As with any pilot show, the first one is typically the odd program. But you'll see where we're going, I think.

TheSamurai:

Thanks for the nice words!

Like I said, I already added it manually. I started listening to it tonight. Haven't finished it yet.

Thanks, rbelknap...

It has been submitted to Apple. The podcast is under review. We'll see what additional hoops (if any) are needed next.
In the meantime, if you want to manually add it to iTunes, or other podcast app, the feed can be accessed by entering:

https://www.therocketryshow.com/feed

As with any pilot show, the first one is typically the odd program. But you'll see where we're going, I think.

TheSamurai:

Thanks for the nice words!
Thanks. I'm going to try plugging it into my Samsung Galaxy podcatcher app (DoggCatcher).

Okay, it worked. Feed added and the first episode downloaded. We're good.

That's great news, guys!

We are working on prepping for the next show for posting in a couple of weeks-ish. Keep an eye on your podcast catchers! Some great feedback from our e-mailbag (mailbag (at) therocketryshow.com) so far. The momentum going into the next show is great!

Thanks again for your feedback!

That's great news, guys!

We are working on prepping for the next show for posting in a couple of weeks-ish. Keep an eye on your podcast catchers! Some great feedback from our e-mailbag (mailbag (at) therocketryshow.com) so far. The momentum going into the next show is great!

Thanks again for your feedback!

Can you give us a teaser/sneak preview of what what you have planned? ;)

(That's not the email address you gave at the end of the first podcast, BTW... (ideas at rocketryshow dot com) but it looks like "rocketryshow.com" redirects to "therocketryshow.com" so I'm hoping email to either will reach you?)

Finished listening on my way in to work, great first episode. How often are you planning to release new shows? Sounds like bi-weekly-ish? Ideas for show topics I'd like to hear:

TARC
ARLISS
Interviews with / promotion of clubs in different parts of the US
Also International Rocketry Organizations / Clubs
History of Model Rocketry (How did this all get started)
Cool projects, Big (100k Carmack prize) and Small (DIY altimeters)
Maybe an occasional question/answer session or segment (from the mailbag?)

I have a feeling everyone will have their own opinions on what topics you should cover, and I bet those opinions will closely track to those areas of the hobby of most interest to each person offering their opinion. :) (Can you tell I'm kind of big on education/outreach right now?)

Also - near the end of the show you mentioned that "Rocketry Guys are a pretty friendly bunch" or something to that effect when encouraging folks to find a club and go to a launch. Remember that it's not all guys in the hobby. There are women out there flying with us, too. (Personally I think we should be doing more to encourage our wives, daughters, and other women in our lives to participate in rocketry, at any level.) Just wanted to put that out there.

Would you prefer additional feedback here, or in your mailbag?

Echoing what Robert said about "guys", I recommend using the word "rocketeer" because as we all know they come in all sizes, genders, ages, skills, etc.

A few ideas for future shows:

• A segment on each show about new products.
  • A show on getting kids into rocketry, coverage of available kits for various age and skill levels, resources available, safe glues to use, etc.
  • Discussion of different propellants, comparison of CTI/Aerotech propellants maybe.
  • Discussions of notable build threads on TRF, YORF, Facebook NAR page, etc. Construction ideas and details worth checking out.
  • A show on painting. Have Nathan as your guest!
  • A show on Oddrocs
  • A chow on machbusting
  • A show on altitude records
  • A show on various competitions, TARC, superroc, etc.
  • A show on the legal aspects of model rocketry.
  • A show on the various certification processes

Actually, general perusal of the threads here can give you some great ideas. Great job, guys, I look forward to listening to the next episode.

Echoing what Robert said about "guys", I recommend using the word "rocketeer" because as we all know they come in all sizes, genders, ages, skills, etc.

Or even "Rocket Folks" :)

Another thread just made me think of some more topics:
Model Rocket Advocacy Advice: Or "How to get (and keep!) permission to fly!"
Same thing for high power (FAA Waivers and You!)
Discussion of FAR Part 101, NFPA 1123 , NFPA 1127, NAR and Tripoli codes, etc. I don't know maybe this would be a boring one. Links on the site to these might be a good resource.

Last edited:
"Folks" has some negative associations, i.e. it's used by politicians when they're being "perfectly clear".

How about "Rocket Peeps"?

I'm not overly fond of those sugary marshmallow things.... I like your first suggestion of "rocketeers" better :)

(as long as we're being opinoinated :p )

Great comments, guys!

We are sorting through the various suggestions & our own ideas to plot out the next show. Will give a general tease when we have the direction worked out. We would like to keep the 30 minute format, so this makes picking what topics to hit first a bit of a challenge, but it's a good challenge. :)

As for "Rocket Guys", point taken. When I use te term "guys", it's meant as an all inclusive thing...but I see your point. Not everyone see it that way. But I'm kind of an oddball anyway. ;-)

For some of the topics brought up, we'll have to schedule in guests who have much more experience than us on some of these areas. This is absolutely OK...We'll learn stuff along with you!

As for the e-mails, all of them will make their way to us. Here is the thoughts on the addresses:

ideas(at)therocketryshow.com is intended for just that...ideas & feedback directly to us.
mailbag(at)therocketryshow.com will be plugged for use in Q&A segments on the show.

Don't worry about re-sending e-mails you have already sent. We'll sort through them. Most of the e-mails are a mix of ideas and Q&A stuff. We'll sort through that as well!

Not knowing what kind of reception we'd receive, we kind of left things open ended. The response so far has been more than we were expecting this early on. This is great!

Right now, I's say expect another show within a couple of weeks. This gives us time to develop a bit of structure around the show and the listener interactions.

Thanks again, gang!

Great comments, guys!

We are sorting through the various suggestions & our own ideas to plot out the next show. Will give a general tease when we have the direction worked out. We would like to keep the 30 minute format, so this makes picking what topics to hit first a bit of a challenge, but it's a good challenge. :)

Cool - good to have a structure and a plan. I look forward to seeing where this podcast goes.

As for "Rocket Guys", point taken. When I use te term "guys", it's meant as an all inclusive thing...but I see your point. Not everyone see it that way. But I'm kind of an oddball anyway. ;-)

We're all kind of oddballs in our own ways. Thanks for accepting the feedback in way it was intended. "I" knew what you meant as well, but yeah - not everyone will see it the same.

For some of the topics brought up, we'll have to schedule in guests who have much more experience than us on some of these areas. This is absolutely OK...We'll learn stuff along with you!

That sounds great, and kind of what I was hoping for (interviews and perspectives from lots of people in the hobby.)

Thanks again, gang!

You're welcome! I don't know why this podcast thing has got me so excited. I guess it's because I went looking for one a year or two ago, and didn't really find anything. I briefly thought about trying to do my own, but never found enough "round tuits" to make it happen. I'm really glad you did. :)

I stumbled upon the announcement of this Rocketry podcast on Facebook, and immediatley downloaded it, listening twice, on the way to and from work yesterday. Both times I reminded myself that I wanted to post a notice that it existed here on TRF. But by the time I got to it, I see someone had beat me to it.

It's a good first effort, and as they roll along, it'll get smoother.

I've already suggested a number of topics on their facebook thread, but find that there is no means to add comments to their webpage. Perhaps that's what they want, to be able to edit them or pick and choose comments. That's fine. I just hope they remember to include something to educate the newbies in the audience each show, otherwise it becomes an inaccessable high-level discussion between "old hands". In this spirit, I've suggested a few topics, which they say they are pleased to accept.

I found the half hour of the first show to be about the right length, but I am certain as more people submit or email them, that some shows will want to grow longer, and others, more compact.

It's worth a listen! Download it now...or while you're working at the rocketry bench in your house!

Last edited:
I'll admit I haven't listened to more than the first couple of minutes yet. I'm working through a long interview on another podcast with a couple of old apple engineers. Pretty interesting stuff, but can't listen to it in the car with my boys. (They use several, shall we say, "colorful metaphors") Have about one more drive home worth of that and then this one is up next. I'll wait to listen to the show before giving feedback :p

This brings up a very good point or pitfall that I'd like to underscore.

I listen to a fair number of podcasts these days, though a good many of them revolve around comics, movies, sci fi, Dr. Who, etc. And a good number of them feature the same guys in different combinations. One of the things that I had to flag with them was the need to limit the crude humor. Not that we don't get a colorful metaphor or a sly pun, (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) but when I attempted to listen to several of their podcasts on a speaker while standing at the rocket bench working or sanding... My wife overheard a couple of rude comments and immediately banned both the use of a speaker, AND the playing of it while any of the family were around. That killed it for my kids!

The point is while the cast and hosts were laughing and yucking it up, they were burning bridges and limiting their audience without realizing it AND unnecessarily. Since then, many of the hosts have cleaned up their act, to some degree, though others have not. To each his own.

On the other hand, I wouldn't get overly hung up about using the term "Guys" instead of "folks", "People" or "rocketeers". I think each has its place...but the fact is the majority of your audience IS going to be male... and the occassional acknowledgement of women rocketeers and wives and girlfriends in the audience will probably go far toward addressing this, without the awkward phrasing that sticks out like a sore thumb.

We've probably hammered this into the ground by now, but I wanted to throw my 2-cents into the discussion. 'Nuff said!

Last edited:
Yes, thank you. Excellent point Kirk. One of the reasons most of the podcasts I listen to are from the TWiT network is because I can be fairly certain that I don't have to worry about listening to them with the kids in the car. The few other podcasts I listen to a regulated to the "between daycare and work" part of my commute, or other times when I'm in the car by myself.

Of course the TWiT podcasts are also mostly regulated to that time as well since my kids would rather listen to music, or sometimes the Space Rocket History podcast instead of my "boring talking shows". I'm hoping to be able to add this one to the mix, too. :)

TWiT does a great job with their shows! I love "Security Now".

No worries on profanity and all. We see this show as a "family" shows as there are more than adults flying rockets. It's safe for the little ears, as they say...

My wife agrees with the "guys" observations, BTW. :)

How-To Subscribe to The Rocketry Show Podcast on an Apple portable device
(EXPANDED AND UPDATED)

In case people find this thread later, I just wanted post a quick how-to on subscribing to the podcast from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I'm going to assume the process is similar for an Android device. I have a galaxy s3, but can't seem to get a podcast app installed from the play store to try out right now.

Method One - On your device
(Tested in iOS 8.1 using the Safari browser and Apple's Podcasts App)
1. Open Safari and navigate to https://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show/
2. Find the "RSS | podcast" image / link in the upper-right. (Not the "iTunes" image.)
3. Tap the image to follow the link.
4. The Podcasts app will launch and ask if you want to subscribe to the podcast.

Method Two - On your computer via iTunes
(Tested on OSX Yosemite and Windows 7 with iTunes 12, Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari.)
1. Open your browser of choice and navigate to https://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show/
2. Find the "iTunes" image / link in the upper-right. (Not the "RSS | podcast" image.)
3. Click image to follow the link.
3a. Your browser may ask you if you want to launch iTunes... say yes
4. iTunes will launch and ask if you want to subscribe to the podcast.
5. Sync your device.

Note for new iTunes 12 users - Apple revamped the interface in iTunes 12, getting rid of the sidebar. In order to find the "Podcasts" section you will need to go to the "View" menu and select "More" and then "Podcasts". You can also access your podcasts by clicking the "..." icon in the upper left corner under the menu bar - (next to the "Music", "Movie", and "TV" icons) and selecting "Podcasts". If you want the "Podcasts" icon to always be visible, click the "..." go down to "Edit" and then check the box next to "Podcasts"

------

I'm adding this section because I tried out Method 1 on my 1st gen iPad (that can't be updated past iOS 5.1.1) and it didn't exhibit the same auto-subscribe behavior I saw on newer versions of iOS. This method is basically the manual search and subscribe that I used to get the podcast on my phone before CG added the links to the show website..

Method Three - On your device
(Tested in iOS 5.1.1 using Safari and an older version the Podcasts App.)
1. Open Safari and navigate to https://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show/
2. Find the "RSS | podcast" image / link in the upper-right. (Not the "iTunes" image)
3. Tap and hold the image, then copy the link.
4. Open the Podcasts app, and tap the "My Podcasts" button
5. Tap and hold the search field then paste the copied URL into the field.
6. Tap "Search"
7. The App will ask if you'd like to subscribe to the podcast.

Hope someone finds this useful. :)

Last edited:
w00t!

:headbang: :w:

(In other news, my how-to was useful for all of one day. :facepalm:)

w00t!

:headbang: :w:

(In other news, my how-to was useful for all of one day. :facepalm:)

Your efforts are much appreciated! Look at it this way. If all of us didn't go out of our way and find workarounds, we'd still be waiting for the show to be added for weeks to come. I've come to accept that this is how life works.

:wink:

The Rocketry Show now accepts Patreon Support. Please sign up to support the PodCast show. It is well past due to have such a great vocal forum. There is a lot of history of the hobby that can be discussed on top of the new things that are coming up.

The hobby has had a lot of close calls and people involved with the hobby should be discussed here that have helped keep the hobby going. Having the success of getting AP off of the list by the ATF as an explosive chemical is huge. It was an eight year process and I am sure there is more to the history about it.

Back