Workshop Organizing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAHagen

Reaction score
I just moved all my rocketry stuff into our pump house. There's one problem... I have no earthly idea how to organize my stuff. I have a ton of small stuff but not enough of it to separate it out by type. I was wondering how you guys organized your guy's rocketry area. Any suggestions?

All my misc. fiddly bits get sorted into this: https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-compartment-utility-box-40528.html

The little stuff that gets used all the time (rulers, pencils, xacto set, zona saw, marking guides, etc.) goes in one of these: https://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11697108

Adhesives also has it's own caddy, I'm at 19 different types and counting.

Now, probably more than you are looking to do, but this is one of the best purchases I have ever made tool wise: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-12-drawer-rolling-workbench/prod1480010.ip Worth ever penny, comes in about 6000 parts though, but if you don't like to build things why would you be here.

Last edited:
I was wondering how you guys organized your guy's rocketry area. Any suggestions?
Organize? Is that like the box next to my workbench?
Actually: 2@ 29 drawer parts cases, 2@ boxes for BT, a box for scrap balsa, a box for larger parts, 4 shelves above and below the bench, a plastic 3' wide shelf unit. Most of the boxes came with parts in them. Recovery, GSE and motors stay in their range boxes. 3@ cultch boxes for stuff that needs to be sorted (someday). I still have to rummage when I need something, but that's half the fun!

Thanks Chris, and mikemech. That'll help. This is completely new to me since my rocketry stuff was before spread out around three places: my desk in the living room, my room, and our upstairs office. My parents were getting a bit irritated by all the rocket stuff laying around. Haha.

Organizing? You mean "blasphemy"? :)

trust me. As another youth, I run into the whole "clean up your shop" thing every day. ;p

A lot of my stock ends up in the pantry because we have a TON of shelving in our house. Other than that I have some 3 drawer totes that I use as well as shelving in the shed for other stuff. It's all over the place. I really wouldn't use "organized" to describe my "stash".

Organizing? You mean "blasphemy"? :)

trust me. As another youth, I run into the whole "clean up your shop" thing every day. ;p

Haha yeah. I think I'm getting to the point where I will always having something laying around.

Robert,

You say you don't have enough stuff to separate out by type, but I suspect you do. I suggest you take your stuff and separate it into 2 categories: 1) components: tubes, nose cones, rings, kits, etc. and 2) tools for building: glue, tape, knife, pencil, ruler, sandpaper, etc.

Next put some kind of shelf right over your workbench and put all your tools on it. The components go into the bin/shelving unit of your choice. Take a look at this pic. It shows a shelf over the work surface where stuff like glue and other tools is in easy reach from your chair. Off to the right is a storage unit where components are stored. The philosophy is: the stuff you need for nearly every build needs to be easy to reach, but not in the way of your work surface.
attachment.php

Below is a pic of a different workbench. Again, you see a shelf immediately over the work surface where adhesives, tape, knives and other small tools, sanding blocks, brushes, etc are within easy reach.

14611137811_aab7207095_b.jpg

Once you set up some kind of system, you will find over time that you will need to "tweak" it to better fit the way YOU work. Move the stuff you seldom need into storage further away from the bench and bring in the stuff you find you are constantly having to get. The best way to organize your workshop is unique to you. You will figure that out via iterations.

Take some time to browse the Workshop Gallery and you may get additional ideas.

Last edited:
Robert,

You say you don't have enough stuff to separate out by type, but I suspect you do. I suggest you take your stuff and separate it into 2 categories: 1) components: tubes, nose cones, rings, kits, etc. and 2) tools for building: glue, tape, knife, pencil, ruler, sandpaper, etc.

Next put some kind of shelf right over your workbench and put all your tools on it. The components go into the bin/shelving unit of your choice. Take a look at this pic. It shows a shelf over the work surface where stuff like glue and other tools is in easy reach from your chair. Off to the right is a storage unit where components are stored. The philosophy is: the stuff you need for nearly every build needs to be easy to reach, but not in the way of your work surface.
attachment.php

Below is a pic of a different workbench. Again, you see a shelf immediately over the work surface where adhesives, tape, knives and other small tools, sanding blocks, brushes, etc are within easy reach.

14611137811_aab7207095_b.jpg

Once you set up some kind of system, you will find over time that you will need to "tweak" it to better fit the way YOU work. Move the stuff you seldom need into storage further away from the bench and bring in the stuff you find you are constantly having to get. The best way to organize your workshop is unique to you. You will figure that out via iterations.

Take some time to browse the Workshop Gallery and you may get additional ideas.

Thanks! That really helps. It makes sense to keep things you need close at hand...

Back