Syzygy tonight... Anyone gonna watch it?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tonight there's gonna be a syzygy, anyone going out to look at it?

TLE2000umbra2w.JPG

If you haven't guessed it yet... I was impressed by the word, syzygy, and would love a chance to use it in Scrabble (triple point score)

Last edited:
I will if it is not cloudy and raining from the Pacific hurricane Simon. Maybe try to get some photos.
Partly cloudy now, but that is subject to change!

That means the sun moon and earth align?

Yes. This is the second total eclipse in this quaternary. The total lunar eclipse event will happen 2 more times in a row after this event. Not all lunar eclipses are "total". BTW there will be a partial solar eclipse across most of the US on October 23rd in the afternoon.

They said, it would occur around daybreak EST, around 6:15, 6:20. That'll be perfect viewing from my front porch. Also, to some viewers, there may be a turquoise shimmer in the beginning and the end of the eclipse. This is because of ozone. I'm usually up around daybreak, so I should be able to see it, providing those damn clouds aren't in the way. They've gotten in the way of almost every celestial event this year! Here's a little NASA vid I found.
https://www.space.com/27353-total-lunar-eclipse-october8-guide.html

Yeah- circled on the calendar, 'scope set up with video feed. And then the Rockets Gods said-"Oh you poor babies, you've been too hot? Here, have some clouds! (ratbastardfarfromfunnukengypsytraders)

syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz .....

kinda makes your brain all zxysygy don't it?

s6

Tonight there's gonna be a syzygy, anyone going out to look at it?

TLE2000umbra2w.JPG

If you haven't guessed it yet... I was impressed by the word, syzygy, and would love a chance to use it in Scrabble (triple point score)

There's only two Ys in a bag of Scrabble...

syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz syzygy fyrwrxz .....

kinda makes your brain all zxysygy don't it?

s6
Made me dizzy reading it! How the heck did you even type that??? Heehheeheee!

We posted information about the total eclipse in Newsbot over the weekend. The best place to observe the total lunar eclipse in the US is on the Pacific coast. A part of the eclipse on the East Coast will be interrupted by the moon setting.

We are now in what is called a tetrad. The first total eclipse of this tetrad was last April 15th, just a few days before Good Friday. (Some people say that a lunar eclipse occurred on the first Good Friday on April 3, 33 AD) The next total eclipse will be on April 4, 2015 and the last total lunar eclipse on Sept. 28th, 2015. More information can be found here

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...se-baths-the-moon-in-color-wednesday-morning/

Watching it right now getting ready for work. Perfect weather here - for once!

Beautiful here in Indiana. I took the boys out to see it ten minutes ago. Interestingly they got out of bed willingly to take a look. Would have been better to watch for a while to see the progress over time, but hey, I'll take anything I can get...

Marc

The peak of this event got obscured by clouds. I did get a glimpse of it just before. Had a bit of an orange hue to it. Sad. The clouds always get in the way.

Clear skies here this morning. Very nice blood moon transitioning to partial eclipse as of now.

I've been sleeping poorly lately, so I didn't want to set an alarm. Of course, tonight I conked right out, but I did wake up about a half an hour ago and rushed outside to watch for a little while. I missed the peak, but it was still very cool. It gave me an excuse to stand in my backyard with my binoculars wearing nothing but my undies. So that's fun.

Well, I had to pass on it. Yesterday I threw out my back helping my Mom move furniture out of her living room so she could get new carpet installed. Didn't sleep well at all, and today, I begin teaching my first ESL class as the primary instructor for the term. All this on the anniversary of the day I hate the most (October 8).

Let's see...
1989, kite flying (yes... kites, not hang gliding), pulled off a 30' embankment and crashed... Concussion.
1990, bike riding, run off road by a group of guys who then proceeded to use my bike pump against my face and head... Concussion, tooth through upper lip
1991, fired from job.
1999, cut thumb open... while in bed.
2001, Ex-coworker ("The TWIT") who I had problems with, rehired (had to deal w/her on the bus and on the job for 18 more months).
2007, October 8, missed me, and sent the 12th after me... hit by car while cycling... Broken Leg (2 bones), torn ligament
2014, You already know that one.

Why do I love Halloween so much? It means October is OVER!

Clouds and rain....missed it all. I hope those who saw it got some pictures.

The sky was cloudless here in northern Utah. At 3 AM the moon looked full and bright. The moon was casting distinct shadows and filling my backyard with moonlight. I went back to bed and got up at 4:30 AM. The moon was a mix of gray and light red similar to what I saw last April. At that time the eclipse occurred earlier in the night and I had my 11" telescope set up. At 4:30 there were no shadows and the stars were bright. I could easily see the Pleiades and the constellation Orion. Stars were clearly visible everywhere. I tend to think that the public media photos of the eclipsed moon are enhanced. The moon was slight red with shades of gray mixed in and some slight bright white rim on one side. The non-uniformity may be due to the moon not be centered exactly in the penumbra.

It's a rule here that during all interesting astronomical events it must be heavily overcast.

Back