Delta Star and Gamma Star rights / production rights for sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R&R Model Aircraft

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I wanted to let the forum know if anyone is interested in producing the Delta Star and Gamma Star, I am selling the rights to the models.

I no longer have the time to run the business, and want to make sure the kits are available to people.

Cost is $650.00 per design or $1100.00 for both. I prefer to sell both designs to one individual. Only condition is that John Boren's and my name remain on the design.

It would include all CAD files, production jigs, and all informational items necessary to produce the models (ultrasonic bag sealer and rolls of bags sold separately, but inexpensively) . The laser cutter already has the files and his production quality is second to none.

If interested, e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks,

David Riedel

Last edited:
Bummer, these were on my list of someday kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Bill,

Point is, I don't want these to disappear. I want them to continue, so don't give up.

Wish I had more time...

David

To any potential new buyer,
I bought one of the Delta Star kits from David many years ago. Soon after getting it, I started and finished the "building" of the kit. All the pieces were laser cut and they were interlocking so the build went together easily and very straight forward. I've never been the type that thought I was smarter than the designers so I built my exactly to plans and as described in the instruction manual. After the airframe was built, I ran headlong into one of my glaring weaknesses, I suck at covering balsa built up models! I tried a bit, got frustrated and put the model on the shelf! Every so often, I would look at it and think "I need to finish that thing some day!" That thought process went on for years.
One day at one of our local launches, I was flying my Hobby Labs RC SR-71 and one of our club members who is an outstanding RC model builder and I got talking about my flight I mentioned I thought I had an even better rocket powered glider at home but the project was stalled because of my inabilities. Jeff quickly said "Give me your covering supplies and the model I'll cover it. It's no big deal!" How could I refuse? I gave him all the stuff and in a few weeks he returned the model to me and it was beautiful! (I know, I need to add some pictures. We are having a launch this weekend, I'll work on that.) I brought it home completed the model by attaching the elevons and control push rods and got it ready for flight.
The first flight of the model was at Airfest this past September on a 32mm Aerotech F-13 reload. Other than I needed to dial in a bunch of exponential to make it a bit (bunch?) less sensitive to fly, the first flight was a success! The plane is very controllable during boost and it's a hoot to fly aerobatics on the way back down. I missed my intended landing spot by 50 yards as it kept floating and floating before finally landing softly.
I got to fly the second flight down in Pawhuska, OK a few weeks ago. This time I flew it on the 32mm Aerotech G-12. This motor burns for what seemed to me to be 2.7 hours (actually it's 8.5 seconds or so) and I quickly found that if I just continued to climb it would end up much higher than my old eyes would be comfortable with so I flew a couple of loops under thrust and still ended up plenty high enough! The exponential rates were much better this flight allowing me to have much more fun flying it back down. I missed the landing spot by 40 yards this time due to it's gliding ability (I'm getting better!) All in all, I'm having a blast with this glider and there were a couple of guys ask me about where they could get one.
There was a thread on TRF a few years ago about a Delta Star that one of the members decided to modify heavily and it didn't end up well for him. I want to go on record to say if you build it like John and David envision, you will have a fine flying rocket booted glider that you can have a lot of fun with!
To whoever buys these rights, contact me as I know I want another one and there are other folks out there who do as well.
Bob Brown
Prefect, Kloudbusters Inc.
TRA 6909

Thanks, Bob!

Most kudos go to John Boren for his original design of the Delta Star ( for those that are interested, I do have preliminary designs for an Alpha Star, 48" wingspan - 38mm version and a Neutron Star, 18" wingspan version18mm/ 24mm - not sure what to do those other than for personal use)

Note: you can do aerobatics on the way up as well, including full power loops. It is VERY robust ( if built to plan).

I just wish I had more time to kit the models. It really isn't hard ( the laser cutter I use cuts the kits and bags the sheets, all that is required is the sticks and misc. parts to be included). I have other designs I would like to bring to the fore, but I think I will just submit plans to the forum ( unless someone wants to buy them :) )

I really hope to find someone who wants to take these over.

David

What if you just sold a short kit with just the laser cut parts and plans? Have them drop shipped from the kit cutter...

Last edited:
I may do something like that if all else fails. Only thing is, the laser cutter does them in batches of 12, to make things cost effective, so individual drop ship would make it too expensive.

We'll see what people's response is... Who knows?

David

I still have my original Delta Star hanging in my work shop. I haven't flown it in maybe six years now. I've been wanting to try out an Estes F15-0 long burn BP motor in it for a couple years now so maybe next summer I'll finally get around to flying my model again.

I hope someone decides to continue producing this kit. Besides all the Estes stuff I create now the Delta Star is the only other personal design of mine that is still being produced.

John Boren

I have seen oen fo these fly and I am sure the kits would sell. Seems like kit production is coming from a a smaller and smaller group.

Would it be too much to ask for photos of what these two models look like?
Or how about a link....even a link to an inactive sales site. I just want to envision them.

Once again, another set of kits I wish I had picked up before now. If anyone else picks up the rights to these kits count me in.

Same here. I actually bought an R/C trainer plane and a spektrum dx6 specifically with these kits in mind and just haven't had time to learn to fly yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Same here. I actually bought an R/C trainer plane and a spektrum dx6 specifically with these kits in mind and just haven't had time to learn to fly yet.
I have the radio and the kit but I haven't flown R/C regularly in over 20 years.

I was a proficient intermediate sport flyer from about 1970 - 1991 which was when the FCC changed the radio frequencies and my radio equipment became obsolete. At about that time I had been laid off from my job and by the time I had the money to replace the gear, the club I had been flying with had lost the field that was close to me and their new field was 1.5 hours away so I never really picked it up again.

My plan was to pick up an electric foam plane to practice on but haven't found the time yet.

To all who wish to contact me in regards to the production sale of the Delta and Gamma Stars, the website will be going down shortly. Many thanks to John Boren for giving me the opportunity to manufacture his model and create derivatives of it.

You can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks,

David Riedel

Back