• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Midwest Power Sale: Built Rockets, Zn, and a casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECayemberg

Reaction score
That time of the year, folks! Midwest Power rolls around and so does the onsite trading! As another year passes, I reflect and determine that I once again (still) have too much stuff!!!!!!!

Photos may follow, but want to get the ball rolling. Delivery to MWP12 at this time only; cash onsite or payment in advance. What I don't sell gets burned at the Saturday night wolf howl/portable bonfire in the middle of the Daze Inn parking lot...or something like that.

Zinc Powder: lots of it. 75lb buckets of the finest zinc powder you've ever encountered. These dense puppies are available for $200 per bucket. I AM willing to break up the buckets into smaller quantities; send a pm for pricing.

Built rocket kits...photos posted below:

Manufacturer-Name-Motor Mount-Asking Price
Scratch built-Propulsive Poultry-54- $40
Performance Rocketry-Little John (dual deploy)-54- $60
Performance Rocketry/Wildman- Gizmo "Gizmooo"-54-$70
Madcow-Big Fizz (4" upscale Alpha)38-$60
Vaughn Brothers-Extreme 54-54-$40: SOLD
BSD-Horizon-38-$35 SOLD
BSD-Whiplash-38-$30 SOLD
Loc-Minie Viper-29*3-$65 SOLD

CTI 29-6G case...I simply don't have a strong need for this one. Used once with an H159G3...clean as a whistle! $20 SOLD[/COLOR]

-Eric-

Last edited:
Forgive the ignorance of a LPR guy, but what is zinc powder for?

Forgive the ignorance of a LPR guy, but what is zinc powder for?

No worries, Scott! Used by "Researchers" in their AP propellant for several reasons. Some will use it for adding smoke to exhaust. Some add it to increase propellant density, increase flowability, as an opacifier, and a couple of other silly reasons that I'd consider pretty trivial. In the olden days, some may have used it in the wild wild Zinc-Sulphur motors. Personally, I use it in my "white" motors and in smoke grains.

Eric, what are the dimensions for 75 lbs of Zinc?

Likely the standard 5gal Home Depot paint buckets that yield 50lbs of 200um AP would yield 75lbs of zinc.

Eric - I see you're selling the last vestiges of knobby motors. Love it-

S

Eric, what are the dimensions for 75 lbs of Zinc?

Close to what Steve said! Same diameter as a 5 gallon bucket, but about half height; probably 2.5-3 gallon equivalent. Steel buckets with steel lids. Buckets weigh around 84lbs total. Dense little critters!

I'm really interested in the bsd whiplash, post pic when you can along with any details about it, thanks

Thanks for the interest, everyone! Will reply to the many pm's after I get some sleep. I took photos of the rockets and will post them asap as well.

Regarding item availability: the 29-6G case is as good as sold (Frzywkciezkegreksoskeogus), some of the zinc has sold, none of the kits have definitely sold yet, but there is strong interest in the BSD birds!!! Hey y'all, I know the "designer" of the Whiplash, someone could probably crank out a couple more similar kits sometime!

-Eric-

Kinda want that VB extreme, can i put some electronics in there? And possibly that Mini Viper:)

I'll take the Little John....PM sent

Preston

Thanks for the interest, everyone! Will reply to the many pm's after I get some sleep. I took photos of the rockets and will post them asap as well.

Regarding item availability: the 29-6G case is as good as sold (Frzywkciezkegreksoskeogus), some of the zinc has sold, none of the kits have definitely sold yet, but there is strong interest in the BSD birds!!! Hey y'all, I know the "designer" of the Whiplash, someone could probably crank out a couple more similar kits sometime!

-Eric-

Quick update: here's a photo of the birds for sale and more details on them. Please note, these are built and flown rockets...all are perfectly functional but not necessarily perfect aesthetically! Apologies for the poor quality photos; best I could do late at night.

003_zpsc16a577c.jpg

005_zps21caa89c.jpg

From Left to Right:

-BSD Horizon: I did not build this one, I got it in a Ebay auction, replaced the recovery system, and have flown it three times since. It once landed on asphalt, so the tip of the nose is a bit scuffed and shortened (as can be seen in the photos).

-Propulsive Poultry: built for the year that MWP was rescheduled from Halloween weekend to Thanksgiving weekend. At the time, I flew pumpkin rockets at MWP...which didn't fit Thanksgiving weekend, so I built a turkey rocket. Honestly, this thing flies shockingly well. Single deploy, motor ejection, beautiful flights on I-J motors: 4 flights on it.

-Madcow Big Fizz: I replaced the nosecone with a proper upscale PNC-50K nosecone, donned it with Stickershock decals, and called it an upscale Alpha. 38mm mount, motor ejection, 3 flights. One flight had a rough landing and popped a fin fillet. That fin is epoxied back in place; has flown since, but could use filling/sanding, and touch up paint if you're a perfectionist!

-VB Extreme 54: I bought this from a local getting out of the hobby years ago. It was built but naked; I actually ended up knocking off a fin or two and regluing to be more aligned, replaced the recovery components, painted, etc. It is setup for single deploy OR dual deploy with a cable cutter/tether or similar. I put a Transolve P6 in the payload section, but there isn't much room in the payload section for a main chute and harness. The body tube is so long however that one could move the ebay lower in the rocket and do dual deploy with a bit of modifications! Flown twice.

-Loc Minie Viper (in the back): Another super secret E-bay find years ago. What a gem...Loc produced these for a very short period of time in the late 80's I believe; it is essentially a King Viper III squished down into "Minie" status. (3) 29 mm mounts, I flew this one time only on a trio of Aerotech G142 limited run motors; 'twas sweet. I didn't build this one either, but did fix the fin that popped loose and replaced the recovery gear with modern day stuff (tubular nylon, etc.). Cool rocket that I just don't get around to flying much!

-PR Little John: this was my workhorse for a while: it loves a Loki I405 all the way up to a 54-4G baby K. It does need a paint job however! Truly this thing is a gem, BUT: it's flown 8 times, I obviously didn't do a good job with surface prep prior to paint OR the paint just doesn't stick well, and the tip of the nose is shorter/less pointy due to landing on a hard surface. A can of paint (same as originally used) comes with this bird...I've always intended to repaint, it just hasn't happened! This bird does show its signs of age, but also has potential left. Has a Wildman 54mm retainer (anybody remember those?)

-PR Gizmo: "Gizmooo" created for one of the earlier MWP drag races. Flew the Wildman (not Mildman) drag race on a K513FJ. Just like the little John, it too suffers from the fragile gelcoated tip syndrome; and is shortened a small amount. 54mm mount and Aeropack retainer. 11 flights on this veteran, it has flown on as little as a 38-4G and as big as a 54-5G.

-BSD Whiplash: 38mm minimum diameter glassed cardboard. 2 flights: both J motors! Duplicolor Purdy paint and Effex clearcoat. The fincan is laminated with a layer or two of 5.7oz carbon; honestly I spent too much effort making this little critter into a mean machine...the fin can is some of my finest work. That said, I "optimized" the thing for each flight, meaning that it has one break point about 8" up from the aft end (visible in the photo as grey). I simply put a ring of tape at that point when it flies, and it does just fine! Currently hollow on the internals, this is an hollow shell looking to be filled with AP!

Two reasons why I want to sell these onsite and in person:
1. These are used rockets. I guarantee I won't sell junk (unless I identify it as junk;)), but they are used. I want to point out each and every flaw to the potential new owners before accepting any payment. I don't want any unsatisfied customers ever, so I feel it's best.
2. I really don't want to ship these things. Apologies for that, just don't have the time or ambition right now; sorry.

Thanks!

-Eric-

Yes, and what does this mean? If you are starting to split it up, I'd be interested in 20 to 25 lbs.

John, Tim,

I have a several 75 pound buckets; a couple have sold (have Mr. Clifton down for one), several remain. We'll give it a few more days and I'll consider dividing into smaller quantities. Reason I prefer not to is that these are fairly new, sealed containers...if I split it up, I have to pry open the metal lid, transfer to a new container, then transport higher quantities of lower volume containers to MWP...not saying I won't do it, just my free time right now is very scarce.

-E-

John, Tim,

I have a several 75 pound buckets; a couple have sold (have Mr. Clifton down for one), several remain. We'll give it a few more days and I'll consider dividing into smaller quantities. Reason I prefer not to is that these are fairly new, sealed containers...if I split it up, I have to pry open the metal lid, transfer to a new container, then transport higher quantities of lower volume containers to MWP...not saying I won't do it, just my free time right now is very scarce.

-E-

Yeah, sounds like a pain. Don't bother unless you get other requests. I have about 5 lbs of zinc in my workshop.

Thanks to all those that have purchased; I'll deliver your goods to Midwest Power (reminder I won't be there Friday).

First post updated with remaining items: a few built rockets and lots of zinc remain.

Thanks!

-Eric-

Hey, if you can convince my kids and hot wife that trick or treating at MWP is sufficient, then I'll be there all three days with the ugly shirt!

I'll bring several bags of candy for the little shavers... Anything to get Eric and the rest of the clan here sooner.

Adrian

PM sent for Gizmooo.
Hope you have room in the vehicle to deliver to MWP.
There's a cool story behind this....
See you at the field.

Back