7.5" Titan II Missile 2 Versions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some great shots from the weekend before last by our club president Gary Goncher, flying on J-510 motors.
Spring_Thunder_2016-69.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-70.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-71.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-75.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-76.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-77.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-111.jpg

Another great flight today in Dayton Washington of the foam version flying on an I-200 to just shy of 1000'.

[video=youtube;7IiDHnit5YY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IiDHnit5YY[/video]

Here are some pictures from the non-foam version, its last flight, unfortunately due to a cap coming off the altimeter board and brown out when firing the deployment charge...The foam version is still running strong however.
This flight was on a 1320 J-510 at 2016 NXRS. Motor casing, retainer, engine bells, chutes, quick links, lexan fins, and one rail button were salvagable:)

Frank

NXRS-2016-26.jpg

NXRS-2016-34.jpg

NXRS-2016-35.jpg

NXRS-2016-36.jpg

NXRS-2016-37.jpg

NXRS-2016-39.jpg

Sorry to hear this. That is a beautiful model. I imagine that even the nose cone took some special innovation to build. Evidently, you did not use the motor ejection as a back-up.

No, I run a plugged forward closure, after the first flight on this model used one of the EZ closures had a factory failure blow by and almost destroyed it....I moved away from the motor backup as another failure mechanism, obviously that means even if you have backup altimeter deployment, the altimeter has to work. The nose cone was two nested traffic cones trimmed to fit, with a nose cap made from a chain link fence post cap, allthread went all the way through to the cap and epoxy/shot. Screws attached the cap to the shot, I had some cross braces inside the traffic cones that tied them to the allthread via screws as well so you could disassemble it if needed. You can look at the first page and get an idea.

Sorry to hear this. That is a beautiful model. I imagine that even the nose cone took some special innovation to build. Evidently, you did not use the motor ejection as a back-up.

Really interesting project! Good luck and be sure to post some flight video.

Question about the Titan II itself: As far as I know it's the only big rocket that had the engines, pumps, and plumbing all hanging out exposed like that. Does anyone know why they did that?

I know it used room temperature fuel & oxidizer, so there was no risk of big chunks of ice falling at liftoff. Was the reason for leaving everything exposed as simple as that?

The shroud was added on the Titan III to protect the plumbing from the intense heat of the solid rocket boosters exhaust.

Leaving it exposed means saved weight. Saved weight means less cost.

Had a very nice flight on a DMS I-205 in the all foam version that flew to just over 1100' this weekend in Oregon. Using a rocketman 48" chute with deployment bag now which makes for very fast prep and reliable deployment. I was thinking the DMS motor would allow for faster prep but the 3-d printed thrust rings are slightly too large for all my pml/aeropack retainers to seat fully and get the ring on and I had to file the outer diameter on every one slightly so they would seat, at least I didn't have to clean casings:)

[video=youtube;i8X24R1j6nQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8X24R1j6nQ[/video]

Nice flight! I am thinking of using a J270 DMS for my next 4x OT flight. I use a Positive Motor Retention System (PMR-29/38) from PML, which I back-fitted to the model. Since you said that you had trouble with a PML retention system and your DMS motor, I am wondering if I am going to have trouble, too. Is your PML retention system the Positive Motor Retention system?

Nice flight! I am thinking of using a J270 DMS for my next 4x OT flight. I use a Positive Motor Retention System (PMR-29/38) from PML, which I back-fitted to the model. Since you said that you had trouble with a PML retention system and your DMS motor, I am wondering if I am going to have trouble, too. Is your PML retention system the Positive Motor Retention system?

No, you should be fine, this is with their HAMR system which is similar to aeropack which the thrust ring sits into the aluminum ring. Plus these were 29mm motors the J-270 is 38mm I think and I have not noticed the same problem with 38 and 54 3d printed dms rings.

The shroud was added on the Titan III to protect the plumbing from the intense heat of the solid rocket boosters exhaust.

Leaving it exposed means saved weight. Saved weight means less cost.
It's not the only one either. Most rockets do that other than ones based off of Redstone or Jupiter. Those had exhaust vanes, so they needed some sort of shroud for the mechanical parts.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Flight #17 flown at the Tri Cities Rocketeers launch this weekend...Unfortunately a chute bag attachment line tangled the shroud lines and it took some damage.

Last edited:
Back