bay area shops

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Where do my fellow bay area residents go to get kits, motors, and supplies?

Specifically I am looking for places that venture into mid or high power and have a definite hobby slant, as Frys and possibly even Walmart carry some random low power items.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any local shops like what you are describing. There's Frys and Hobby Lobby for LPR and possibly PSII E2X kits, but nothing like a real hobby store with MPR or HPR that I'm aware of. The only real hobby shop I have been to in recent years is a place in San Leandro that really is not very good when it comes to rocketry. the selection was bad, and all the prices are actually above MSRP. The owner admitted to me he doesn't know anything about rocketry, but he feels like he should stock some stuff anyway.

I hope someone can chime in with a shop I don't know about.

Bayarearocketry.com. You can't go wrong with Mike. He's very reasonably priced, and his customer service is above and beyond.

BayAreaRocketry.com is a good local resource. I was thinking in terms of a "shop" not a vendor who you can meet at launches or order from online or by phone. He doesn't have a shop, but a lot of local rocketeers do buy from him.

I would go with Bay Area Rocketry. If Mike does not carry what you need he can point you in the right direction. Because the HPR rocketry market is small you will find only one vendor around here and that is BAR. It is critical that we patronize BAR so that he can remain in business. There are a couple of other vendors in the area such as Fruity Chutes and Aerocon. They are specialty shops and are worth looking into.

Thanks for the tip about Bay Area Rocketry!

I don't think I've seen any consistent place that have mid- or high-powered stuff. As ThirstyBarbarian stated, there's Fry's (extremely limited) and Hobby Lobby (too far for me). The local hobby stores, or what's left of them, are hit or miss:
  • HobbyTown in Sunnyvale has Estes motors & kits, and some MP motors but I don't recall seeing MP kits.
  • D&J Hobby in San Jose has some Quest LP stuff. I don't think they have any MPRs.
  • Both places have finishing supplies and are very expensive.
For LPR:

Which Walmart's have rocket stuff? I don't think I've ever seen any though you can get cheap building materials like wood filler, white/yellow glues, cardstock, spray paint, snap swivels, fishing weights, etc. I don't know how their Bondo, fiberglass, & resin prices compare to Home Depot, Lowes, or OSH.
Every once in a while, ToysRUs has Estes RTFs and some motors.
I've even seen Target carry Estes RTFs + motors once and only once.

Does anyone know which Michael's in the area carry rockets? The two that consistently have them are in Colma and the Fremont hub; the others never do. For now, I hit up Michael's w/ the 40% coupons for balsa sheets, dowels, & clay, and motors or LP donor parts kits if I'm at the two mentioned above.

There's also Joann's Fabrics and their 40% coupons for shock cord elastic and rip-stop nylon.

And of course, there's mail order. I'd be curious to know about sources too. Thanks! :)

I try to patronize my local hobby shop when I can (J&M Hobby House in San Carlos), but they don't carry any rocket stuff at all due to local ordinances. So, motors I buy from B.A.R. and pretty much everything else online.

I've been to Hobby Town, Ace hardware and TAP plastics for different builds. TAP has fiberglass cloth and mixing supplies. The classifieds here on TRF has some deals come up.

I haven't seen any MPR or HPR stuff at any of the local hobby shops. The Hobby Lobby in Morgan Hill has a couple Estes E-F kits but I don't think they have any motors. The Michael's in Gilroy seems to be phasing out all of their rockets.

I try to buy everything I can from BAR first, but I buy most of my kits and supplies online.

I would go with Bay Area Rocketry. If Mike does not carry what you need he can point you in the right direction. Because the HPR rocketry market is small you will find only one vendor around here and that is BAR. It is critical that we patronize BAR so that he can remain in business. There are a couple of other vendors in the area such as Fruity Chutes and Aerocon. They are specialty shops and are worth looking into.

Understood and ordered! Thanks.

ThirstyBarbarian said:
I was thinking in terms of a "shop"

I definitely was hoping for a local shop, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside in this day and age. Thankfully BAR will do local pickups, so that should get me my kit quick!

Back