Mach + Nosecones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Up until now I have been using the cheap polypropylene nosecones and they have worked great for what I have been doing. But now I am looking to do some high speed launches and was wondering just how much speed will one of those take? I know Wildman has 2 new high speed nose cones but they only come in 38mm and 54mm. Was looking for something to fit a 2.6 inch body tube. What have you been using?

Up until now I have been using the cheap polypropylene nosecones and they have worked great for what I have been doing. But now I am looking to do some high speed launches and was wondering just how much speed will one of those take? I know Wildman has 2 new high speed nose cones but they only come in 38mm and 54mm. Was looking for something to fit a 2.6 inch body tube. What have you been using?

Madcow has fiberglass 2.6 in nosecones. I am sure that these would be fine. A 2.6 inch rocket will probably not be mach 1 for long. I am sure the LOC 2.6 inch plastic cones would be fine also. Lighter than fiberglass.

Madcow has fiberglass 2.6 in nosecones. I am sure that these would be fine. A 2.6 inch rocket will probably not be mach 1 for long. I am sure the LOC 2.6 inch plastic cones would be fine also. Lighter than fiberglass.

+1 I agree loc nose cones should be good for mach 1+ reaching mach 2 would be pushing it what motor you plan on using.

I can assure you that LOC's nosecone will work. My Norad went 826 mph yesterday with no problems.

I have the same question as the initial poster. I am looking at making a 38mm Min Dia rocket with Loc tubing and NC. When I put a 3 grain Vmax (I800) into OR, it says Mach 1.84 (this is before I add the electronics, chutes, etc), but regardless, it will definitely blow past the transonic range. Is there where I need to start building with more exotic materials?

I have the same question as the initial poster. I am looking at making a 38mm Min Dia rocket with Loc tubing and NC. When I put a 3 grain Vmax (I800) into OR, it says Mach 1.84 (this is before I add the electronics, chutes, etc), but regardless, it will definitely blow past the transonic range. Is there where I need to start building with more exotic materials?

You may want to look at CTI's glass-filled polycarbonate nose cones. They are good for Mach 2+ (without a tip). Looks like they should fit LOC's tubing. If not, they can be machined. Any ProX dealer can order these from us. Rocketry Warehouse also carries these.

Jeroen.

You may want to look at CTI's glass-filled polycarbonate nose cones. They are good for Mach 2+ (without a tip). Looks like they should fit LOC's tubing. If not, they can be machined. Any ProX dealer can order these from us. Rocketry Warehouse also carries these.

Jeroen.

I am getting one of these for 54 mm. Would be great for 38 mm. The Giant Leap Pinnacle nosecone is also good and light for 38 mm.

I have done Mach 1.1 to 1.3 repeatedly with loc tubing and nosecone. Let me rephrase, the nose cone was stock. The tubing was peeled to get rid of the glassine layer and a little more and laminated with 2 layers of six ounce glass.

The nosecone worked fine- no issues.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back