Cell service at rocket launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckamila

Reaction score
Looking for feedback as to what others experience for cell service at remote launches, specifically in the Northwest at Brothers, OR and Mansfield, WA, but chime in with your location and the information might help someone else.

I currently have Verizon and coverage is good at the above locations but looking to switch carriers to AT&T or ??? and wondering what your experience has been. I am using TeleMetrum products and like the integrated live mapping function. Last year at Fire in The Sky (Mansfield, WA), Bar Area Rocketry used a carrier that had no or poor service at the launch. No big deal on items purchased from BAR, they just needed to update the credit card info later when they had coverage. Not sure if BAR had changed carriers at NXRS 30 days after the above launch at FITS but at Brothers location retail sales via the Square system were not a problem. I purchased supplies from Sunriver Bob at both launches and he had coverage at both - could be he used Verizon.

The reason for the switch is i have a family of 5 and Verizon is killing me on the monthly billing.

Cheers,

Chris

I am using TeleMetrum products and like the integrated live mapping function.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but there are mapping apps where you download USGS (or similar) maps to your phone beforehand, and thus don't need cell service at the launch site. Go in airplane mode and turn on GPS to track your rocket location on the map. I used this successfully while trekking in the Rocky Mountains. I use Backcountry Navigator Pro on Android ($9.99).

Not your location, but in the spirit of sharing info for others:

Potter, NY has decent AT&T coverage. It drops out in places on the field, but I've always had 2/3 bars at the launch/prep areas.

Buckeye - Interesting. I did not know that gps was an option while in airplane mode.

Well my iPhone states i need to turn off airplane mode or use Wifi for gps to work. I am looking to switch to android so maybe that is the difference and why you have gps in airplane mode.

At the Brothers, OR site, we have much better Verizon coverage than we do AT&T. Verizon works great and if you stand just right, and put your tongue out, you can get AT&T.

As a general rule, Verizon's coverage in rural areas tends to be better than AT&T's.

-Kevin

Just a FYI, at BattlePark in Culpeper VA. a tower was build near by about 4 years ago. We only got Sprint the first season, but got all the carriers the next year. I use Verizon and the 4G works great there.

Well my iPhone states i need to turn off airplane mode or use Wifi for gps to work.
The Google Maps app (which I use on my iPhone) has a "save offline maps" mode, which allows me to have maps of Black Rock desert when I'm out there.

The CA launch sites generally have good cell coverage with Verizon, both Lucerne Valley (ROC) and Helm (TCC). There are a number of people using the Tagg dog collars, they work quite well out here.

Thanks for all the feedback.

JohnCoker - I like this option for a solution which should work regardless of carrier, phone or cell service coverage.

Last edited:
AT&T: less bars in more places. I use AT&T 'cause I only use a phone for calls. Pay my $100.00 and my 400 minutes are good for a year. That's $8.32 a month.
Like I said, I don't do data stuff. In cities it's O.K. Out in the country so-so. Kurt

"Not your location, but in the spirit of sharing info for others:

Potter, NY has decent AT&T coverage. It drops out in places on the field, but I've always had 2/3 bars at the launch/prep areas"

Same here. I came in from Ontario but my phone migrated (Or whatever it is called.) over to AT&T and I had no problems using it.

Last edited:
Back