MWP12 guys ..Sad day & bad news.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
I put this here knowing most of the MWP guys might see this.

It's a sad day for Chicago Rocket Mafia...... last night Greg Trovillion passed away after a lengthly battle with bone cancer.
He was at home, being cared for by his wife and family, when he quietly left us for a better place. He has been ill for over a year

I met Greg in 2004, when we shared quite the adventure on our trip with Tim Lehr to LDRS 24 in Canada. It was a long journey across the country get there and back. We had many things happen along the way too numerous to mention, but made it one piece. The worst being all 3 of us were considered "persons non gratis" to the Canadian's at the Border, due to our collective jaded pasts, and had to convince them to let us in. Greg had to write a 4 page disertation before he was allowed entry. Through out the years I would see him after coming North for the summer and we would fly together at various launches.

Always funny to be around & helpful in any way to his brother flier's. We had many fun adventures over the years.
Usually showing up at MWP or Bong. One of brave that flew in the N-5800 drag race.

I saw him last at LDRS this year at the Bong where he came & flew for the last time. He was pretty weak, but would sit and prep rockets while his grandchildren would recover. He was having the time of his life and I was glad to see him so happy being round all his rocket buddies.
We talked for several hours & I was happy to see him one last time.

Remember Greg in your prayers please.

It's always a sad day when we lose another of our brothers in the sky.

God Speed and smile down upon us buddy........Semper Fly.

Cj

A very fitting and wonderful eulogy to a fellow rocketeer. Thank you, Jim, and please pass our condolences to the family. Ad Astra, Greg!

Jim,

Thanks for letting us know. Seeing Greg one last time made the long drive to the Bong for LDRS worthwhile for us this year. Greg started coming to AIRFest with you guys back in the day, too, and I always enjoyed his company.

R. I. P. and Godspeed brother rocket man.

--Lance.

Jim,

I never had the privilege of knowing him but I saw how important it was to you that he showed up at LDRS. He must of made an impression on you and he will be missed.My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

Very sorry to hear this. I'm glad I got to spend some time with Greg at LDRS.

Godspeed, rocket brother.

Jim, thanks for the heads up on Greg...Still trying to do his best to get out and, see us up to the end...:sigh:

-Wherever your Spirit is, may it fly high above the fields you once visited and, may it always look down on us with warmth and, love as the days of our own lives bring us closer to seeing you once again my brother.

Saddened to hear this....

-I have many happy memories of Greg, he was one of the original 20 or so for TWA's very first "Great Midwest Magg Race". I believe he built the Minie Magg just for the event and had a good time participating.
-I remember an Airfest where Greg was very excited (and nervous) about flying an Aerotech New Blue Thunder M motor. He was pacing the flightline looking for reassurance that all would be fine!:D
-I remember his L3 flight...think he used an AMW 75-6000 load in a Comp4. He was proud of that rocket and we were proud of his flight!

I too was fortunate enough to see him at LDRS...as always it was a pleasure. In the flurry of activity, I am SO happy that he caught my attention by "yelling" Hey Eric. Was great having him on the field; will miss him dearly.

Blue skies, Greg!

-Eric-

Very sad to hear indeed.... :( I have many fond memories with Greg including his L3 at MWP 3. Blue Competitor 4 on an AMW M-1850 GG IIRC... :)

Justin

Great write up Jim, thanks for letting us know. I'm gonna miss him but I'm glad I had the opportunity to know him.

Andrew

In memory of Greg from the 2006 Winter Nationals.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRivCJUFLYE&feature=youtu.be

Neil

:flyingpig:

That was another trip we did together.... boy that was a doozy.lOL

Same launch we did the infamous 3-way M-2200 drag race. Tim...I ...Greg!

That was the first flight of the 3 grain L-666 [as it was deemed later] skid for Paul. [in the video] Spectacular flight!

We also traveled together to Airfest when he demoed the Blue Thunder & I demoed the N-1000.

Thanks for reminding me of that one....I totally forgot. That was the year we got caught up in the infamous "labor day traffic" stop every one on the highway incident. Too long to tell here but hilarious story....ask me about next time ya see me!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back