MWP 12: What Are You Flying?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey quit sniveling and get mixing epoxy :D Mad Dog or no, see you at Midwest!

Hey, don't downsize me. It's Mad Maxx 8". Go big or go home... On a M1939W...
No more epoxy needed, just time and ejection charge sizing tests. Maybe a little shock cordage. Shear pins might be helpful. Minor crap...
I was hoping to make it to Bong to test fly the altimeters in a different (read: smaller and less dangerous) rocket first, but too busy at work.

Adrian

Last edited:
...will have to tie a bunch of tubular nylon, and probably should test ejection charges. Still need to drill holes for shear pins and pressure reliefs.

OK, this takes like 10 minutes.

Besides, I still haven't tossed up an L yet, so I'm not in a huge hurry. It's not a race, right?

L on Friday, M on Saturday for the MONEY! (Sunday saved as rain date) and your done!

6" X15. 5" Jart. Gizmo XL. 4" dark star..... And the Woket.

Halcro , I will be bringing my Wocket, you need to check out the mods on mine. Lets drag! I will be at RSO most of the time, look for me there.

Last edited:
Oh awesome-- was this your L3 from back then?
IMG_1574.jpg

Sorry it's blurry :( but I remember that flight. Looking forward to seeing the new one!

That's the one. Nice.

Flying? Flying? Hmmm, sold all my rockets months ago ;)

Have a couple left laying around though to loft up... Still hoping to get my big X-15 finished--it's gonna be tight.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412727607.341391.jpg

Sending up a Sirius Interrogator-G, on an H. I have a Jerry Irvine Hi-Test 225 24mmX3 that might go up with its 24X3 booster. Also an upscale (3") Estes Hi-Flier and/or a 3" Estes Der Max...hopefully all will Ne L1-level flights.

Scott Simpson
WTF Rocketeer
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Halcro , I will be bringing my Wocket, you need to check out the mods on mine. Lets drag! I will be at RSO most of the time, look for me there.
Sweet.. A woket drag race... Interesting...

G80 drag race.... Fasted returned to the table wins. I'm in. I'll win, too. My kids run faster than yours. ;-)

Well, it already is close, being G10 green glass. Besides, antiques are my other hobby. And the motor is only 9 years old, so it needs to age a little more. Jason proved at Thunderstruck that they're still good, so what's another year?

Adrian (feeling TAP whupped now)
Dog Pile .
Just do it before your son is old enough to do it for you.

Just glued the N10,000 together, along with my hands, my hair, 362 paper towels, my workbench, my favorite pair of reading glasses, and somehow my left shoe.

PML Endeavour on a CTI K490G. Yank Iris on a CTI K675Sk. Wildman Wildchild on a CTI G80SK drag race special. Maybe more, but those are the for sure ones...

Adrian

10 Wildman minis (see topic in this section) a wild thang jr my jart an a night flight or two.

Sent from my sub-etha device using Rocketry Forum

Just glued the N10,000 together, along with my hands, my hair, 362 paper towels, my workbench, my favorite pair of reading glasses, and somehow my left shoe.

Carl, i'm also flying one of those too....LOVE that motor. Some constructive advice here (since i'm *done* telling Dixie to eat more Fiber One Cereal).

The first thing i do is knock the insulating end cap off by inserting a large dowel or pvc pipe into the liner...and, put it off to the side.

I've found that using a flat topped sawhorse works the best for holding the liner when i glue up any of my bigger CTI motors. The next thing i do is strap the liner to the sawhorse with two bungee straps, leaving about 3-4 inches of overhang on the nozzle end.

I like to run a flapper wheel i have on a large threaded rod up and, down the bore for a few minutes, even if it has been pre-scruffed by CTI.

Blow out the bore with human created air pressure or a slight amount of compressed air.

Unpackage your grain spacer o-rings and, grains... inspect for any irregularities...

Put a small trash bag, plastic sheet, or wax paper directly below where the nozzle end is...

Using whatever glue (Elmers, Gorilla, or even West Systems Epoxy as i do...) wet down the first half of the first grain with a chip brush and, insert slightly into the bore.

TWIST the grain and, liberally wipe your chosen glue on the grain at the point where it is going into the liner. It's a going to get a sloppy here...

Run that grain fully into the bore about 1-2 inches and, insert a grain spacing o-ring. Now pre wet the next grain casting tube slightly and, do the same for number 2.

By the time i get to grain number 4-6 i'm already starting to get a little more sloppy...That's what the drop cloth is for.

After i get all the grains in i insert the nozzle and, wipe the area around the joint with rubbing alcohol to clean up any excess. Make sure you wrap a little blue/masking tape around the line to seal it up. Insert the end insulating cap and, run a piece of tape over the top.

Holding the liner carefully unbungee and, put in an upright position for at least 24 hours on some wax paper to let the glue gravitate down the inside of the liner.

After 24 hours i put together the starter grain package into the forward bulkhead, grease the o-rings, and, put a little grease on the forward end of the liner...insert into casing. Put a little grease on the threading of the case rings and, tighten down. put your Cap-plug on the nozzle to keep moisture out and, VIOLA!

DISCLAIMER: The use of West Systems Epoxy VOIDS all warranties....(It works for me) Use rubber gloves and, properly dispose of all glue/epoxy cups...brushes...etc in a smart manner.

I've glued up over 20 N-10,000's, O-3400's, N-5800's, N-3301's, N-3400's, N-4100's and, N-5600's using this method (glue wise) and, never had a failure yet....As a matter of fact i find alot of casting tube residue still attached to the liner when i clean my motors out.

This method is simple and, works for me. The key is securing the liner to something to free up your hands while you work and, producing LESS MESS.

Good luck at the launch!:D

Last edited:
Gonna be a pretty mild MWP for me... Didn't get my 6" X-15 complete, as family/work got in the way, but am calm and relaxed :cry: (as Sather taught me). So plan is the two skid drag races on Saturday with a pair of Dark Stars (Lite and Extreme). Friday a Binder Raptor on K1750R to 6K feet (IIRC) and a then a minimum diameter Tomach 54 on a Loki K350 long burn to 16K feet. Might bring a few other smaller ones to fill Sunday, we'll see...

Last edited:
Planning on flying this at the night launch. Just need to get the lights on it.

MONOC.jpg

Gonna be a pretty mild MWP for me... Didn't get my 6" X-15 complete, as family/work got in the way, but am calm and relaxed :cry: (as Sather taught me). So plan is the two skid drag races on Saturday with a pair of Dark Stars (Lite and Extreme). Friday a Binder Raptor on K1750R to 6K feet (IIRC) and a then a minimum diameter Tomach 54 on a Loki K350 long burn to 18K feet. Might bring a few other smaller ones to fill Sunday, we'll see...

Awesome Dixie! Can't wait too see that X-15 when you get it up and, done! :D

Sather is the Zen Master...Master Zen...View attachment 188587

Humble thanks for considering my Drag Race! Wouldn't be the same without Dixie! ;)

Dude...shhhh.....16k. Going to 16k........Always 16k.....shhhhhh......

My 4 inch Jart is ready. RockSim says "marginally stable". not sure if its talking about the rocket or me....
Jart-4.jpg

My 4 inch Jart is ready. RockSim says "marginally stable". not sure if its talking about the rocket or me....
View attachment 188612

Nice looking paint job. My 4 inch Jart has become a favorite flier. When you mention it is Marginally stable is that with or without motor loaded in Roc-sim? Are you using Barrowman or Roc-sim for calculation on the attributes page? The Barrowman calculations for this kit seem to be a bit conservative. I can tell you with 6 flights using 3 and 4 grain 54mm's margins were at 1.3 to 1.4 . If motor wasn't loaded mine came in at 2.24 for margin. I would do some double checking. I build heavy and with everything in except motor and motor case, I'm at 102 ounces. That's shock cords, chutes, altimeters, everything. Look forward to seeing it fly at MWP. I plan on flying mine as well, just haven't figured on what yet. It really likes K454 skids.

<snippage of some excellent motor building tips - you really should go up a few msgs and read them>

Good luck at the launch!:D

Thanks so much for writing that up, Gus! Much appreciated.

One thing that I find helpful is to ram a wad of dry towels thru the liner tube to remove all machining dust, and then dry fit all 6 grains one at a time to find the loose ones and the tight ones. Some will slip right thru the entire liner and some will be just a tiny bit tighter and need a push. That tiny difference from grain to grain can be made to work for you by starting your build with the loosest grains (as they have to travel the entire length of the liner) and working your way up to the tighter ones. The tightest one will go in last, which is great because it doesn't have to travel down the liner at all.

See you in a couple days!
-Carl

Back