Question on Easy Mini set up as redundant apogee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I asked this of Keith but not sure if he has left on his trip yet or not. I thought it would be interesting to folks if I get an answer, or if someone knows.

I was doing some testing of my new easy mini, I was able to remotely fire the igniters via the UI, interestingly when I set it up as redundant apogee, it only fires the redundant when I select apogee igniter in the UI, that threw me off for a minute, I thought I'd select main igniter which shows as ready, but it won't fire, only fires when I select the apogee....

I notice that the delay between apogee and backup seems to be a second or two, but I don't see a way to set this, is it just a fixed amount relative to the primary apogee setting?

Second, I installed the unit in the av bay, and put a tight fitting hose into the 1/2" port and put some vaccuum on that hose to simulate liftoff and flight to 500 meters or so, however when I release vaccuum it seems to take about 3-4 seconds before the apogee fires(set with 0 delay)....is that normal with a sudden release of vaccuum and I won't see that sort of delay during flight? It's set up for 0 delay after apogee. I see the simulated flight when I download to 500 meters, but it doesn't actually show the charge firing point.....

I use this method on my missileworks altimiter and it seems to fire as soon as I let off pressure....just want to confirm.

Frank

And here is his answer...
> Keith, got it all installed and software and hooked up. I mounted it
> in my ebay and let it initialize and sucked on the ebay port using a
> tight fitting tube to simulate launch and it seemed to take about 3-4
> seconds after I released the vaccuum for the apogee to fire...not sure
> if that is normal for a quick pressure increase like that, for the
> unit to respond....

Because you're creating a fake flight, it doesn't look ballistic, so the
kalman filter takes a few seconds to catch up and believe you.

> second question, I am changing the setting of the main to be backup
> apogee, but there isn't a setting for that to set when it fires...

No, it will fire a second or so after the first one, no matter when that fires.

> In the plot of the flight I simulated, it doesn't show the apogee
> charge firing event.......I wanted to confirm when it fired......

You can stick an LED on the igniter terminals and watch it flash, or you
can look at the plot for the 'drogue' line, which marks where apogee was
detected; the drogue event fires after the configured delay past that
point.

-keith

Back