Greetings!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapetang

Space Frog Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to join! I used to build & fly Centuri & Estes (and maybe one MPC?) rockets decades ago and really miss it. I probably would've studied aero/astro if I hadn't been derailed by computers & tech.

All my (former) stuff was/is low power black powder A-D. I've flown one-shot mosquitos to single-stage, multi-stage, semi-scale, super roc, boost gliders, rocket gliders (unsuccessfully), gyrocs, saucers, to sci-fi exotics (mostly unsuccessful glue bombs), and even Estes "cold power" rockets (ye gads! the humanity!). Yes Astrocams, no Cinerocs. No clusters though. :( I love the innovative designs, especially from Centuri, and am especially fond of goonies & sci-fi rockets.

I don't see the core burning B14's and C5's but am relieved to see the higher impulse motors available these days. I can't believe all the toxic stuff I used to use as a kid and how many brain cells I've killed. Nice advancements in safety & techniques though I'm less keen on the restrictions. This place is such a great resource for info & tips! I just want to say hi and thanks! Hopefully I can contribute and "pay forward" as well.

Work & life are busy but I can't wait to rebuild & launch!

- Eric :) can't find my old NAR number...

ps - Must resist urge to go higher power - wallet's going to hurt!

View attachment 186020

Welcome to the forum, and nope, don't resist the HPR side..... it isn't overly expensive at L1 level.

Welcome back to the hobby! The variety of kits and motors available now is so much greater than it was in the past, I think you will be amazed! I know I was, coming back to the hobby less than 2 years ago.

Regarding higher power, what's the problem? All the cool kids are doing it. Just try a kit made for an Estes E9. You've flown a D motor before --- how bad could an E9 be? Then maybe stick an Estes E12 in that bad boy. Oh, yeah! Then maybe try an Aerotech single-use composite E20! Oh, YEAH!!! Mid-power, here you come! L1 certification in a year!!!

(We are rocketry enablers here. Don't count on us for restraint!)

Welcome back! One of the best parts of this hobby is the fact that there's so many options. I started (BAR) just mid-power, primarily scale. Then I realized HP isn't too expensive and got my L1. After my L1, I dedicated myself to just scale... by building a dual deploy onto my non-scale rocket, and am doing my L2 on Saturday. :)
The great thing is doing one thing doesn't mean you're giving up another. I still love my Saturns, but really enjoy the HP side also.

L-1 is easy, and reloads go together in a snap! Once you mastered this you're on to altimiters and dual deployment!:grin:

At this point, L-2 is only a credit card away!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! It's good to be home!

@Bob: Thanks!

@Salvage-1, ThirstyBarbarian, ckjohnson, chadrog, evil ed: You're right! MPRs and L1 don't look too pricey. I don't have anything flyable at the moment but will remedy that. The LPR site has some challenges so dual-deploy may come up sooner than expected.

@terryg: Thanks for the link. Neat designs like the multi-staged saucers! ThirstyBarbarian also suggested local NAR chapters so I'll probably drop by when things are ready. Bonus points if I can get my kid to come along!

ooo... Shiny! :)

@ckjohnson: Clear skies! Good luck/skill with your L2 cert!

Thanks again for the welcomes, everyone! What a great website! :)

re: B14s...

About 20 or so years ago, an undergrad student mentioned that he had done rocketry when he was younger. We talked about this for a bit (I was quite active in high school, we has an Explorer Scout "troop"). After a trip home, he gave me a cookie tin full of old Estes and Centauri engines. They just sat around for a long time until I got active with a local NAR group in about 2001. I showed my stash to an old timer and he got really excited about the B14 engines I had, so I gave all of them to him (a dozen or so?). He sold several at national NAR meets, and flew some. For some reason he felt he should give the remaining 3 or 4 back to me. I believe I've got two left; this, and one more. I think that the next launch I go to, I'll use one to send up some of his ashes*. I think he'd like that. This was sitting around for a while - I'm glad you reminded me of it. And welcome to the Forum!

*yeah, it's way past it's sell-by date, no one at the launch will care...

Last edited:
Welcome back. I've been here a couple months now. Great site and I am itching (once a nice day comes along) to do my first MPR launch on my Aerotech Tomahawk.

You'll soon get the big back like I did!

Mike

Launching rockets (and missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Love the extra kick from the core-burners! It's great when items find their way to people who really appreciate them & will use them. I know I'd like that!

Thanks for the welcome! Happy flying! :)

Thanks, USAFmissileer! Yup, great site! I'm sure I'll move up in impulse as those 1" BT50 rockets seems to want to be in 1.6" BT60 size w/D or E power!
Have fun w/ the MPR launch! :)

Yay! I'm officially BAR'ed now! Finally launched today after ~30 yrs at Moffett Field w/ LUNAR. Used an original tube-finned rocket from my youth, refurbished with a new shock cord & 12" parachute, on a B6-4. Lit on the first try, flew ~250 ft, and landed 100 ft from the pads! (Wow is landing on concrete bad...) I only caught the tail-end of the launch.

LUNAR was extremely friendly & well run. I joined them on the spot and am looking forward more. Hope to meet a few of you out there! :)

IMG_4681.jpgIMG_4682.jpgIMG_4683.jpg

Thanks, everyone! It's really nice being back. That pseudo-goonie tube fin was a scratch built favorite so it's fitting for my BAR launch! Gotta rebuild the fleet and get more in the air! :)

Re: MPR/HPR: ooo... so alluring... must resist... Wait, dammit, how did these PS2 kits get in the house?!??? ;)

Really, all you have to do is see/hear an HPR launch, and it is all over. One hit and you're hooked for life.

Latest posts

Back