Awareness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sprayed on several coats of sanding sealer, sanding in between. Then sprayed on the usual Rusto 2X white primer. Finally, several coats of Rusto 2X pink. Once again, I'm amazed at how smooth the basswood turned out.
Is it just me, or does that nose cone have whole different look from intended?

Is it just me, or does that nose cone have whole different look from intended?

I think once that "inny" is replaced with an "outy" it is going to look more like expected --- otherwise I think we've all been hoodwinked by one of those Crying Game switcheroos.

Added an external fillet to the aft centering ring. Sprayed sanding sealer on the fins, and sanded them. Then primered the aft section. And I got the chutes sewn together. I think they're going to work as I envisioned!

162_aft.jpg

163_sanding-sealer.jpg

164_primer.jpg

165_chutes.jpg

166_chutes.jpg

167_chutes.jpg

I sprayed on several coats of pink. And, of course, my old friend paint came back to visit. One side of the body tube has a rough surface, as opposed to the other two sides. But I don't think I have time to do anything with it. In my experience, it will have to cure for several days before I could sand it. I think I'd better leave it as is if I want to get this into the air on Saturday.

168_pink.jpg

169_pink.jpg

170_pink.jpg

171_rough.jpg

172_rough.jpg

173_smooth.jpg

174_smooth.jpg

I thought I'd be lazy and spray the fluorescent pink on the forward body tube without primer. But I didn't think about the spirals. The white primer, even though it's not high build, does help hide the spirals. So I primered over it, and resprayed the pink. Turned out pretty good. I still need to clear coat it.

175_fluor_pink.jpg

176_fluor_pink.jpg

177_primer.jpg

178_fluor_pink.jpg

179_fluor_pink.jpg

180_fluor_pink.jpg

Build is looking great Quake as always!

I flew my Sam Adams Patriot sunday (Yeah, its not a pink rocket but..) on the CTI J316 Pink motor in honor of Awareness month. Those pinks have a hell of a kick and fast flight! It reached 36DD feet, I mean 3611ft!

The pickup tube must have come loose inside, so I had to hold the can upside down to get it to spray. My clear coats never look as smooth or shiny as o1d_dude's, but it's good enough for me. He is the clear coat pimp!

181_clear.jpg

182_clear.jpg

183_clear.jpg

Apparently the "tang" on the end of my chuck taper won't let it fit into the Jet's headstock. So I had to use my collet chuck instead.

184_chuck.jpg

185_chuck.jpg

186_chuck.jpg

187_collet-chuck.jpg

My son calculated that the MaTS (mach transition splitter) needed to be slightly larger. And he would know, he's an expert on such things. So I turned one a little bigger and longer.

188_MaTS.jpg

189_MaTS.jpg

190_MaTS.jpg

191_MaTS.jpg

192_MaTS.jpg

And of course, everybody knows that the color red has a lower drag coefficient than other colors, and will create fewer transitional artifacts.

193_MaTS.jpg

194_MaTS.jpg

195_MaTS.jpg

196_MaTS.jpg

197_MaTS.jpg

198_MaTS.jpg

199_MaTS.jpg

200_MaTS.jpg

I sure got a nice giggle out of this build. Especially the ending.:lol:

I'm speechless
I'm honestly speechless.
Well done sir!

Nate

You should launch it at night and see if it causes an Aerola Borealis.

Honestly though... I picked up a good tip or two from this!

Nice Work Captain!

You guys are too much. Great puns and comments! I enjoyed them as much as I enjoyed the build! Today will be decals and the forward bulkhead, then she'll be ready to fly.

Got the first decal on. I wish it was bigger and white, but it's all I could find. I still like it, though. I couldn't stand it, I had to sand the rough spots on the aft section and respray it. It looks better now. I'll have to wait until the paint sets, probably tomorrow, to apply the second decal.

201_decal.jpg

202_decal.jpg

203_decal.jpg

204_decal.jpg

205_decal.jpg

206_pink.jpg

207_pink.jpg

208_pink.jpg

There are a lot of imperfections, even for me. But overall, I'm very happy with the result!

212_rocket.jpg

213_rocket.jpg

214_rocket.jpg

215_rocket.jpg

216_rocket.jpg

217_rocket.jpg

218_rocket.jpg

219_rocket.jpg

220_rocket.jpg

221_rocket.jpg

Back