Awareness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next up are the fins. Again, I'm using 1/4" birch plywood from Michael's, bought with a 40% off coupon, of course! I had printed the fin template from Open Rocket on card stock. I cut it out, then traced the fins onto the plywood. I cut out the fin "blanks" on the bandsaw, then drilled and pinned them with 1/4" dowels. That allows me to cut and sand them all at once. They turned out a bit rough. My bandsaw blade is just a tad too wide for the radii on the fins. But it's too much of a hassle to change the blade, so I did the best I could. I suppose I could have used the scrollsaw for the tight curves, but I would have had to clear it off!

09_fins.jpg

10_fins.jpg

11_fins.jpg

12_fins.jpg

13_fins.jpg

14_fins.jpg

15_fins.jpg

The cleavage needed a bit of work, so I very carefully smoothed it out with the bandsaw. I sanded the curves of the fins with my 1" belt sander. I'll tell you, that has turned out to be the handiest little sander! I use it much more often than I ever thought I would.

I must say, these are the best boob fins I've ever made!

16_cleavage.jpg

17_cleavage.jpg

18_cleavage.jpg

19_cleavage.jpg

20_cleavage.jpg

21_sander.jpg

22_sander.jpg

23_fins.jpg

24_fins.jpg

25_fins.jpg

I marked and drilled the baffle and bulkhead for the 1/4" u-bolts. I cut the center holes in the centering rings with a 1-3/16" hole saw. I also cut out discs that will be the half moon baffles in the motor tube, and trimmed them to size.

26_u-bolt.jpg

27_u-bolt.jpg

28_u-bolt.jpg

29_u-bolt.jpg

30_centering_rings.jpg

31_centering_rings.jpg

32_half-moons.jpg

33_half-moons.jpg

Last edited:
I sanded the center holes in the centering rings to size with a sanding drum in the Dremel; drilled 3/16" holes in the aft centering ring for the tee-nuts; epoxied blocks on the centering rings for the tee-nuts and rail buttons; and finally filled the holes in the half moon baffles with epoxy.

34_centering_rings.jpg

35_tee-nuts.jpg

36_blocks.jpg

37_half-moons.jpg

It's been too long, Cap'n, too long. I needed another one of your build threads, and this one came just in the nick of time- I was about to go back and dig up an old one to read though:)! Also, my dad has an old lathe that probably still works. Thanks for the idea to try'n fire it up some time soon for use with CR's!

Nate

It's been too long, Cap'n, too long. I needed another one of your build threads, and this one came just in the nick of time- I was about to go back and dig up an old one to read though:)! Also, my dad has an old lathe that probably still works. Thanks for the idea to try'n fire it up some time soon for use with CR's!

Nate

Thank you, Nate, it's good to be back. But I will say, I sure didn't need another rocket! You need to get that lathe fired up. You can start turning nose cones on it. Do you know what kind it is?

I drilled out the tee-nut holes with the 3/16" bit, and drove the tee-nuts in with a hammer. I trimmed the rail button blocks on the centering rings with the bandsaw, and cut the half moons in half (well, not quite half).

38_tee-nuts.jpg

39_tee-nuts.jpg

40_tee-nuts.jpg

41_blocks.jpg

42_half-moons.jpg

43_half-moons.jpg

I was inspired by matthewdlaudato's "Let's all fly pink rockets for Breast Cancer Awareness Month!" thread, to design and build an all pink rocket. This is what I came up with. I'm calling it simply, "Awareness". I'll use LOC 3.1" tubing, it will have a 29mm motor mount, and 1/4" plywood fins. For the elliptical nose cone, I'll either turn one from basswood, or order a fiberglass cone. I haven't decided which yet.

This will be a relatively simple build, that I should be able to finish in time for October Skies at TCC.

My Wife has been cancer free for 20 years this year,great project Jim.

The cleavage needed a bit of work, so I very carefully smoothed it out with the bandsaw. I sanded the curves of the fins with my 1" belt sander. I'll tell you, that has turned out to be the handiest little sander! I use it much more often than I ever thought I would.

I must say, these are the best boob fins I've ever made!

I would have been tempted to do this part by hand.

There is a parachute malfunction called a "May West" A shroud line crosses the canopy and causes a central "cleavage", with two separate domes.
Results in something similar to what you have here.
When I first saw the fins, I though this would make a good two stage! I guess the upper stage engine would effectively "lift and separate".

Got the chutes already. Man that was fast! Now we'll see if my idea pans out. Got the half moon baffles epoxied into the motor tube. The forward centering ring needs to be 4-1/2" from the forward end, so I made a simple jig. As you can see, it didn't work very well. But it shouldn't affect anything.

44_chutes.jpg

45_half-moons.jpg

46_half-moons.jpg

47_jig.jpg

48_jig.jpg

49_jig.jpg

50_crooked.jpg

51_fillet.jpg

Got the motor mount epoxied in. I marked the fin locations with the wrap printed from Open Rocket, and drew the lines. I cut the fin slots, then couldn't resist a dry fit.

52_wrap.jpg

53_lines.jpg

54_dry_fit.jpg

55_dry_fit.jpg

60_motor-mount.jpg

You guys missed my stove, didn't you? :lol:

I had to cut small notches out of two of the fin tabs to clear the tee-nut and rail button block on the aft centering ring. Using my fin alignment guide as always, I got the fins epoxied on. Then applied my messy external fillets with Titebond no drip molding glue. I'm liking it so far!

56_notches.jpg

57_fins.jpg

58_fins.jpg

59_fins.jpg

61_fins.jpg

62_fins.jpg

63_fillets.jpg

66_fillets.jpg

Another fine build under way Captain. I did miss the stove by the way.😀

I've decided to turn the nose cone. I have this one that I turned for a 4" upscale Baby Bertha, but as you can see, I really screwed it up. Not only is the shape wrong, but the base is too small where it goes into the body tube. And I absolutely butchered the shoulder. So I'll re-purpose it, and hopefully be more successful.

67_nose-cone.jpg

I mounted the bad nose cone to a smaller faceplate. This faceplate fits inside 3.1" tubing. The piece of 3.1" body tube will be a sizing guide for both the base and shoulder of the nose cone. As you can see in the video, I didn't get the faceplate exactly centered, but it won't matter. The wood will become centered as I turn it smaller.

[YOUTUBE]Vnsa-_CLfXM[/YOUTUBE]

68_nose-cone.jpg

69_nose-cone.jpg

70_nose-cone.jpg

It feels good to be behind my lathe again! As you can see from the progression of photos, I'm slowly turning it towards its final size. It's getting close. I'll turn it a bit smaller, turn the rough shape, then sand it to final size and shape with 80 grit sandpaper. I'll need to cut it shorter before I start shaping it. It will be 4.25" long (or so) plus a 2" shoulder.

71_nose-cone.jpg

72_nose-cone.jpg

73_nose-cone.jpg

74_nose-cone.jpg

75_nose-cone.jpg

76_nose-cone.jpg

77_nose-cone.jpg

I must be too busy... I need to keep abreast of what's going on around here.

Nice work Capt.

I wonder if this nice pair of t**s will take flight when your rocket does...

The Audubon Society might not approve

Last edited:
I had drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of what was to be the 4" Baby Bertha nose cone, for the nose weight and eyebolt. Awareness won't need either, but I had to make sure the hole didn't go too far forward. Open Rocket called for the nose cone to be 4.3" long, and I wanted a 2" shoulder, so I cut it off at 6-1/2". Then I cut the shoulder, and did pretty good this time.

78_measure.jpg

79_mark.jpg

80_cut.jpg

81_cut.jpg

82_cut.jpg

84_shoulder.jpg

85_shoulder.jpg

86_shoulder.jpg

87_shoulder.jpg

I started to shape the nose cone, then decided I wanted it a bit shorter. One of the benefits of turning your own. I cut off a small piece, then started shaping it again. I used several chisels, and 60, 80, 100, and 220 grit sandpaper.

88_shape.jpg

89_shape.jpg

90_cut.jpg

91_cut.jpg

92_cut.jpg

93_cut.jpg

94_shape.jpg

95_shape.jpg

96_shape.jpg

97_shape.jpg

More shaping with sandpaper. The best part of turning nose cones for me, is watching the shape emerge from a rough piece of wood. Very rewarding.

98_shape.jpg

99_shape.jpg

100_shape.jpg

101_shape.jpg

102_shape.jpg

Okay, I'm not ashamed to admit that I giggled again, just not like a little girl this time. I like it! I like it a lot! I had serious doubts about turning this nose cone. It's been a while since I've turned one, and like any skill, if you don't use it you can lose it. But the grace of God saw me through another (for me) masterpiece.

113_nose-cone.jpg

114_nose-cone.jpg

115_rocket.jpg

Back