MacBook with open rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman13

Reaction score
Ok so my laptop died this morning and I'm looking to get a new one. My parents want to get me a Mac but I don't know how compatible it is with my rocket stuff. Anyone care to share their experiences with macs and open rocket. Want to make sure it will work before I get it.

I use open rocket with my iMac. Works quite well!

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

I use open rocket with my iMac. Works quite well!

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

Ok thanks

OpenRocket works fine on a Mac, assuming you have java installed correctly. :)

More of an issue might be something like altimeter software if you use electronics, some of that is windows only. That could probably be solved by bootcamp, or a virtualization solution, although I haven't really taken the time to sit down and try to get it working. (It was easier to throw mDACS, CHIRP and beeline on the old windows laptop I had since I'd be more likely to take that to the field than my iMac.) One of these days...

I know that answer doesn't really help. (With regards to other software, anyway.)

Edit: well actually - CHIRP is cross platform - but I wanted it on my laptop, too. In case I needed to reprogram my HT while not at home.)

Last edited:
Open rocket is fine on Mac for me. Perectflite software works and for bigredbee software I used wine bottler. Works fine and don't have to worry about dual boot or other emulation packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Ok so my laptop died this morning and I'm looking to get a new one. My parents want to get me a Mac but I don't know how compatible it is with my rocket stuff. Anyone care to share their experiences with macs and open rocket. Want to make sure it will work before I get it.
Let them get you the Mac! I use mine for Perfect Flight, Rocksim and Open Rocket. All good.

I just upgraded my 13 inch MacBookPro to the latest Mac OS (from three major revisions back) and had to go and install the Java SDK to get Open Rocket running again - I'd been using it on the machine for some time. As others noted, both PerfectFlite interface software and RockSim have Mac versions that work just fine. Also Altus Metrum's software, like Open Rocket, is Java-based and therefore runs on the Mac.

So.... go for it!

I am going to be the party pooper here and recommend Windows. I have never had luck hooking up anything rocketry related to a mac. Hence me using my handy Lenovo U530. :p

Ok perfect! I'm going to get it then. Thanks everybody😃😃

Note to self: winebottler for my bigredbee, and maybe the mDACs software. and look at altus metrum again now that I have a ham license. :)

I like my rrc3 - even though I haven't flown it yet.

I've alos always used OR on my mac with no issues at all. Also a couple altimeter products using Windows running in VirtualBox.

I've alos always used OR on my mac with no issues at all. Also a couple altimeter products using Windows running in VirtualBox.
Care to elaborate? I have VirtualBox. Which altimeters are you connecting to with it?

Back