Have No Fear Even Though Ebola Is Here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here https://gotnews.com/exclusive-breaking-name-nurse-got-ebola/ is the registered nurse who contracted the Ebola virus from the Liberian patient under here care. Liberia is located in western Africa and is "ground zero" in this latest outbreak.

Mr. Thomas Duncan lied to a number of "officials having jurisdiction" with regard to the fact that he had been in contact with people in Africa who had died from this disease. This is not unlike the method the 911 terrorists used to enter the United States...posing as students and entering our country on visas granted by the State Department under false pretenses. Apparently, out of state tuition trumps homeland security and political correctness trumps the risks of pandemics.

A nation without borders is much like a house without locks on its doors and windows. Some folks just don't need to come inside and we ignore this truth at our own peril.

Last edited:
Here https://gotnews.com/exclusive-breaking-name-nurse-got-ebola/ is the registered nurse who contracted the Ebola virus from the Liberian patient under here care. Liberia is located in western Africa and is "ground zero" in this latest outbreak.

Mr. Thomas Duncan lied to a number of "officials having jurisdiction" with regard to the fact that he had been in contact with people in Africa who had died from this disease. This is not unlike the method the 911 terrorists used to enter the United States...posing as students and entering our country on visas granted by the State Department under false pretenses. Apparently, out of state tuition trumps homeland security and political correctness trumps the risks of pandemics.

A nation without borders is much like a house without locks on its doors and windows. Some folks just don't need to come inside and we ignore this truth at our own peril.
+1 Ted

Well said!

hC7DC1880

FC

Last edited:

Mr. Thomas Duncan lied to a number of "officials having jurisdiction" with regard to the fact that he had been in contact with people in Africa who had died from this disease. This is not unlike the method the 911 terrorists used to enter the United States...posing as students and entering our country on visas granted by the State Department under false pretenses...

It's also a common practice the average person uses to avoid inconvenience and be on their way, which is probably what this was.

It's also a common practice the average person uses to avoid inconvenience and be on their way, which is probably what this was.

Perhaps. But had he told the truth his treatment might have begun sooner, saving his life and potentially the lives of others. His ashes are now an inconvenience to Louisiana authorities.

Perhaps. But had he told the truth his treatment might have begun sooner, saving his life and potentially the lives of others. His ashes are now an inconvenience to Louisiana authorities.

That's why it's good not to lie. But I think "terrorism" is reading a bit much into it.

Doug, you missed my point entirely. I did not accuse Mr. Duncan of terrorism. I pointed out that he, like the 911 hijackers, used lies and deception in order to gain entry into the United States.

[video=youtube;dYcHJfdhPso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYcHJfdhPso[/video]

Doug, you missed my point entirely. I did not accuse Mr. Duncan of terrorism. I pointed out that he, like the 911 hijackers, used lies and deception in order to gain entry into the United States.

[video=youtube;dYcHJfdhPso]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYcHJfdhPso[/video]

I didn't say you did, mentioning 9/11 is rarely in reference to rainbows and unicorns though.

I'm waiting for SNL to come out with an Ebola Cola spoof ad. The product could even be endorsed by the CDC director.

Knowing what SNL does with current events they'll try to blame the entire thing on George Dubya Bush and his secret genocide plot: Bush meat. :facepalm:

This is funny. It made me laugh.

Except then I thought about it and realized that I'm not at risk of tobacco and alcohol death because I've made the decision not to smoke and I don't drink a lot. If I'm at risk of obesity death it's because I made the decision to eat what I do.

If I am put at risk of death by Ebola it's because some A-hole lied to enter our country knowing that he had Ebola just to try and avoid dying in West Africa. So now he's dead here, an unknown number of people have been exposed, one is showing symptoms, and who else is going to enter the country with it because we're trying to remain PC?

I do not deny that Ebola is scary and deadly, but just to keep things in perspective...

4000 people have died from Ebola this year.

4000 people died from Malaria in the last 2 days (4000 people every 54 hours).

We aren't used to these types of diseases in the U.S. and that is the reason people are nervous. Not saying it is rationale but that is the reason. You are far more likely to die in a car wreck but you don't stop driving.

I am more concerned about the high government officials using Ebola Phobia as a pretext for Martial Law and cancelling the November Elections than I am of Ebola.

Greg

Not drinking doesn't remove risk of alcohol related death. Other people drinking and driving, and killing you, is a significant threat.

Also the guy who died of Ebola wasnt sick at time of travel and it is still unclear that he knew he was at risk of having been infected. I do agree it seems pretty clear he should have known and checked a different box on the form, but just because he helped move a sick neighbor from a cab into her home doesn't conclusively mean he knew what was going on at the time.

Bottom line, he did a good deed and died for it.

I very much doubt we need to worry about elections being cancelled here. In Liberia I believe they will be postponed with good reason.

Marc

Not drinking doesn't remove risk of alcohol related death.
It removes the risk of me killing myself from drinking too much.

Other people drinking and driving, and killing you, is a significant threat.
That's a risk I take upon myself when I put myself on the road. It's a driving risk, not a drinking risk.

Also the guy who died of Ebola wasnt sick at time of travel and it is still unclear that he knew he was at risk of having been infected. I do agree it seems pretty clear he should have known and checked a different box on the form, but just because he helped move a sick neighbor from a cab into her home doesn't conclusively mean he knew what was going on at the time.

Bottom line, he did a good deed and died for it.
EXACTLY!! How many people have Ebola and don't show symptoms as they board a plane to the USA? They'll be here a few days and THEN show a temperature, when nobody is looking for it. They'll wander around the malls and sporting events, and pretty soon we've got an outbreak of our own.

How could we significantly reduce the risk of this? By not allowing people from certain countries to fly into our country for a while. The government tells us we're not allowed to drive drunk, and they take measures to prevent it, so why not take measures to prevent entering the country from an Ebola area? That seems like the minimum we should be doing. But we don't, because it's not PC.

I do not deny that Ebola is scary and deadly, but just to keep things in perspective...

4000 people have died from Ebola this year.

4000 people died from Malaria in the last 2 days (4000 people every 54 hours).

That is comparing apples to oranges.

Malaria is transmitted by mosquitos. Using mosquito nets, mosquito elimination techniques, and well established medications the disease can be controlled. The US has extensive experience in dealing with it since building the Canal.

Basically there are no medicines that combat the ebola virus. The system tries to keep patients for dying due to dehydration, kidney failure, systemic shock to various organs caused by the virus. If you body cannot eventually establish a resistance to the disease you die.

Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with bodily fluids: saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen with openings in the skin: mouth, nose, eyes, wounds, etc., like the flu. Initial symptoms include fever, weakness, muscle pain, headache and sore throat, similar to the flu. There is a low risk of transmission in the early phase of symptomatic patients. This lower risk is due the lack of high outflow of fluids. Infected individuals have the virus in their bodily fluids (saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen) and contact with these fluids can lead to transmission. Again, this is like the flu. Even months after the initial infection the virus can be transmitted through breast milk and semen.

When the flu infects a member of a family with two parents and two children how quickly does it spread to the other family members? Within a week, typically. How many employers "prefer" (they expect it of employees and utilize peer pressure to enforce the unwritten policy) that employees with the "flu" still come to work because of productivity demands? Eighty-five percent(?), a majority without question. How many employees that do not recieve paid sick days still go to work with the "flu" because the family barely earns enough to pay for the necessities and/or debts? A majority.

The US experience with Ebola is limited to small outbreaks in remote villages and communities in Africa. The US experience with the flu is extensive but ebola that is misdiagnosed as "flu" in its early stages that blossoms into a pandemic five to ten times the size of the "Spanish flu" is the probable outcome unless the US CDC and hospitals start to prepare for it like they should.

Actually it is more like comparing watermelons to grapes.

Last edited:
Here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_outbreak_in_the_United_States is a good description and timeline of the events leading up to the current crisis. While this was not an act of terrorism the net result has been much the same...fear and terror. To me it looks more and more like an act of selfish stupidity on the part of the late Mr. Duncan.

By the way, my son was born at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas which is now part of the Texas Health Resources chain of hospitals. I pray that the health professionals can get a handle on this thing before it spreads.

While I don't think there will be a major US outbreak of Ebola, I do worry about the potential for misdiagnosis as a common flu leading to a further progression and spread. The points Randy made about the U.S. mindset of working even when sick are well-taken. The failure of the Dallas hospital to diagnose the patient on his first visit is a key example of what can happen. And now two health care workers are sick... though it was caught early and they will get full medical support, so have a relatively good prognosis from what I read. It will be another week or so before the room mates of the guy (currently in isolation under observation) are cleared.

I don't think that the US would be better off not admitting people from the three primary Ebola-outbreak countries. All that will do is make people there take multi-jointed routes to get here. And it would have severe economic consequences for those countries, that would make the outbreak worse there, resulting in more sick people, more need to send in health workers from around the world... I read that something like 50% of the fliers from those countries have passports that are from other countries anyway, so you couldn't screen by passport country of origin either. Frankly I think the current temperature based screening is about as much as we practically can do (it's not much, and would only catch people who had an active infection with symptoms), combined with very proactive education for people coming from the infected areas.

This is one of the hazards of living in a highly globalized society... we have to get used to it!

Marc

That is comparing apples to oranges.

Actually it is more like comparing watermelons to grapes.

Because you completely missed my point.

I wasn't trying to compare Ebola to Malaria, they are, as you rightly noted, worlds different in a thousand ways.

I was comparing dead people to... dead people.

An imperfect comparison, perhaps, but I was just trying to remind everyone that a great many things kill far more people and we take no notice. While Ebola is definitely of great concern, for reasons that everyone has already pointed out, there is every reason to remain reasonable and rational and not to panic.

I think the point people should see is this is a minor problem. I do think that the CDC misjudged the average hospital's ability to handle ebola. That is no reason to panic.

The Ebola is being sensationalized. The comic above puts the outbreak into perspective.

If this turns into a multi state issue then you will see people starting to panic. If dozens of people in multiple states end up with it you will start seeing people staying home from work, cleaning out stores and other apocalyptic moves.

With initial symtoms that are similar to flu, ERs crowded with the poor and uninsured seeking treatment for the flu, overworked and undertrained workers, and a employer/employee mindset of still going to work with the flu makes ebola a potential disaster unparelled in the US since 1918-1920's flu outbreak.

The Dallas hospital is not tracking the other patients and their family members in attendance that were in the ER on Duncan's second trip even though they were exposed to his bodily fluids by careless transmission onto doorknobs and other surfaces by unprotected and uninformed doctors, nurses, and other hospital workers. If they become infected and go to the hospital again with flu symtomns and are asked "have you been to West Africa?" and they truthfully say no, the hospital will not initiate infectious disease (ebola) procedures to limit exposure. Theses patient are again exposing new patients to ebola.

https://news.yahoo.com/dallas-nurses-cite-sloppy-conditions-ebola-care-042120774.html
The nurses alleged that:

— Duncan was kept in a non-isolated area of the emergency department for several hours, potentially exposing up to seven other patients to Ebola;

— Patients who may have been exposed to Duncan were kept in isolation only for a day before being moved to areas where there were other patients;

— Nurses treating Duncan were also caring for other patients in the hospital;

— Preparation for Ebola at the hospital amounted to little more than an optional seminar for staff;

— In the face of constantly shifting guidelines, nurses were allowed to follow whichever ones they chose.

Almost 12 hours after he arrived in the emergency room by ambulance, his hospital chart says Duncan "continues to have explosive diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and projectile vomiting." He was feverish and in pain.

When Ebola was suspected but unconfirmed, a doctor wrote "using the disposable shoe covers should also be considered." At that point, by all protocols, those shoe covers should have been mandatory to prevent anyone from tracking contagious body fluids around the hospital.

A few days later, however, entries in the hospital charts suggest that protection was improving.

"RN entered room in Tyvek suits, triple gloves, triple boots, and respirator cap in place," wrote a nurse.

Optional seminar? Twelve hours before a doctor thinks the hospital should consider foot garments?

If the CDC and the hospitals do not start proper training and observation of protocols, including tracking of all people that could have been exposed and their contacts into a monitoring system, this will get out of hand. Right now the number of contacts to be tracking might be in the thousands, coworkers of the family members in attendance of a patient at the hospital during Duncan''s second rip, children of these people and the other school kids, etc. This goes beyond 76 healthcare workers. Err on the side of caution, explain why you are including all of these people in tracking, and worry less about "not creating a panic". At this point every patient at every ER, doctors offices, clinics, etc. in the Dallas area should have extra workers cleaning surfaces with bleach every quarter day and healthcare workers should wear gloves and masks. Arriving patients should be give a mask just inside the door and questioned about vomiting, diareahha, and other symptoms of ebola in it's later stages.

The scary thing is, the two employees in Texas who cought Ebola were supposedly taking the highest precautions possible and even they got it. And this was all related to a single patient. Imagine if you had 12 such patients at a dozen hospitals. I dont think it takes much imagination to see how things could start to go downhill fast.

Im certainly not in the "sky is falling!" boat, but Im acutely aware of what is going on. My wife is an emergency department RN and manager, so I hear about that side of things. I would be deeply concerned if her hospital got a patient.

Back