So, why is MS skipping Win9 and going to Win10?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rofl: too funny I read that one twice thinking what is he on about.

You hadn't seen it on every other comment section on the entire world?

More seriously it is just that people got lazy with os detection and thus many programs reverted to Windows 95/98 behavior and stopped working when they tested it.

All the things they are "fixing" in Windows 10 are mainly perceptions that some people can't let go of. The Start Screen *IS* the Start Menu. It's more configurable. I'm concerned that the 'new' Start Menu will be a step backward, but I'll wait until I see it
Usability experts trounced Win8 in detail and at length and rightfully so. The entire reason behind the user interface change was NOT because the paradigm needed to be changed for desktop users but because MS was (and is) getting absolutely trounced in the rapidly growing segment where it needs to make a showing or eventually become irrelevant, the mobile segment. Thus, a smart phone touch-centric UI on the large LCD desktop without the ability to resize multiple windows with multiple apps, something that would be useless on a small smart phone screen, no more sexy Aero effects because those can slow weak processors on bottom end phones and wouldn't be that noticeable on small screens anyway, etc. They did this to provide a common user interface across smart phones, tablets, and desktop machines in an attempt to leverage their desktop dominance into mobile sales by forcing a smart phone/tablet optimised user interface onto desktop users in the hopes that their familiarity with that user interface would eventually cause them to buy smart phones and tablets using it and to allow developers to write programs across all three (the only part of their plan beneficial to Win8 users). I realized this from day one and MS finally officially admitted it long after Win8 flopped. The Win8 "upgrade" wasn't an "upgrade" for anyone other than MS. It was entirely self-serving, instead of doing really useful things for a true upgrade like developing a new file system to make the searches and management of the now huge hard drives faster and easier, something they abandoned that everyone was really looking forward to years ago.

Win10 looks like a better mobile/desktop compromise and supposedly MS is now actually listening to user input, having been forced to do so by the deserved Win8 flop.

All the new computers that I've ordered for the company are licensed for Windows 8/Office 2013 but are downgraded to Windows 7/Office 2010. Too much of a pain in the rear to support with the completely different interfaces. Still have about 50% running Windows XP/Office 2007. The new servers are running Server 2012 - similar interface to Windows 8. I much prefer the Server 2008r2 stuff or ever the original Server 2008 boxes...

Really, I wish people would quit with ..... and it runs smoothly on all. .

I have no issues with smoothness or stability, my complaints are with the interface. What works on a phone or tablet is not necessarily what works on a desktop.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I know it's old ( 2 years ) but still kick A$$, it usually run @ 4,8 ( Water Cooled ) but I remove the OC for try Windows 10, want to make sure is I have BSOD , it's not cause by the OC

Here when I build it, the 2 GTX-580 are now WC too
pc_zps2db3dcce.jpg

and here the Quad rad with the monster fans and under my AX1200

rad_zpsd09a15c5.jpg

That is a nice computer, but I bet is sounds like an airplane.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Since I always set up our machines at home with accounts for multiple users, I find that even though MS says they are designed to do so, they are not. All of the non-administrative users (pretty much everybody) always get administrator warnings that can't be cancelled without and Admin password (and this is in Win7). Win XP really wasn't much better. Do any of the newer versions finally fix this and genuinely WORK as a multi-user machine or is that still just a convenient fiction?

That is a nice computer, but I bet is sounds like an airplane.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Not at all, actually water cooling is more silent and way more efficient to dissipate the heat. You don't need to make the fans turn at 100%. Video Card fans are pretty noisy at full speed. Actually my new PC will be totally silent as I will use a heat transfer unit connected to the water coming from my well, the pump will be located in the basement, so no noise aside of the fan of the PSU ( power supply )

Some people have a tough time counting to 10 (or 0xA0, or 0b1010 for the smarties).

That or they simply wish they were Apple these days.

Not at all, actually water cooling is more silent and way more efficient to dissipate the heat. You don't need to make the fans turn at 100%. Video Card fans are pretty noisy at full speed. Actually my new PC will be totally silent as I will use a heat transfer unit connected to the water coming from my well, the pump will be located in the basement, so no noise aside of the fan of the PSU ( power supply )

Then you will hear the "coil whine" from the switching power supplies on the graphics cards and motherboard.

Of course then you can line your case with acoustic foam like I have. (I have a an air cooled setup though)

Then you will hear the "coil whine" from the switching power supplies on the graphics cards and motherboard.

Of course then you can line your case with acoustic foam like I have. (I have a an air cooled setup though)

This motherboard don't use cheap coil, it's solid state chokes, the coils are inside the iron rather than wrapped around it. it's a $ 370 motherboard. At $200 +, if this power supply will whine, I will return it for sure. Corsair AX are high end PSU manufactured by Flextronic for Corsair. All true it's a WS board, it OC as much if not better than any Asus ROG Rampage boards.

just to give you an idea, my computer as a build in second computer just to control and monitor the water cooling system, I have lost a little bit contact in the field since 2 years, but I beta test boards for Asus for many years and I build so many Water Cooling system.

here the controller

https://koolance.com/tms-205-software-thermal-interface-controller

Last edited:
From what prehistoric computer hardware age are you? This motherboard don't use cheap coil, it's solid state chokes, the coils are inside the iron rather than wrapped around it. it's a $ 370 motherboard. At $200 +, if this power supply will whine, I will return it for sure. Corsair AX are high end PSU manufactured by Flextronic for Corsair. All true it's a WS board, it OC as much if not better than any Asus ROG Rampage boards.

I used quotes because there are no actual coils. That's just what other people call the sound.

It seems to be most common in graphics cards.

Usability experts trounced Win8 in detail and at length and rightfully so. The entire reason behind the user interface change was NOT because the paradigm needed to be changed for desktop users but because MS was (and is) getting absolutely trounced in the rapidly growing segment where it needs to make a showing or eventually become irrelevant, the mobile segment. Thus, a smart phone touch-centric UI on the large LCD desktop without the ability to resize multiple windows with multiple apps, something that would be useless on a small smart phone screen, no more sexy Aero effects because those can slow weak processors on bottom end phones and wouldn't be that noticeable on small screens anyway, etc. They did this to provide a common user interface across smart phones, tablets, and desktop machines in an attempt to leverage their desktop dominance into mobile sales by forcing a smart phone/tablet optimised user interface onto desktop users in the hopes that their familiarity with that user interface would eventually cause them to buy smart phones and tablets using it and to allow developers to write programs across all three (the only part of their plan beneficial to Win8 users). I realized this from day one and MS finally officially admitted it long after Win8 flopped. The Win8 "upgrade" wasn't an "upgrade" for anyone other than MS. It was entirely self-serving, instead of doing really useful things for a true upgrade like developing a new file system to make the searches and management of the now huge hard drives faster and easier, something they abandoned that everyone was really looking forward to years ago.

Win10 looks like a better mobile/desktop compromise and supposedly MS is now actually listening to user input, having been forced to do so by the deserved Win8 flop.

I'll grant you that it didn't *need* to be changed on the desktop, and they *should've* left it alone. That said, the Start Screen is more useful to me than the Start Menu. The Charms bar is not the greatest thing in the world for a desktop user, but it didn't hinder them either.

The Aero effects were sexy, but it wasn't just small mobile devices that were getting hurt by the performance hit, but laptops as well. Apparently, the transparency effects drained battery power. I thought I'd miss Aero, but really it was just eye candy.

All I know is that we have two computers in the house that run Win8 and whenever I need to do *anything*, even simple crap like change passwords, it takes forever because I can't find JACK. I wish, they didn't think it was cute to move basic stuff around.

Yeah... I've heard it has to do with code that would read the OS and interpret it a Win95 or Win98.

Personally, I think John Hurt is involved and, sometime around the 50th anniversary, they'll release Win9 as 'War Windows'...

I was going to comment, but I run OSX on Apple HW and don't really care about M$ OS version whatever. Keep wrestling with out-of-app performance and call me in the morning.

of course they have coils, they are the square parts around the cpu socket Labeled R68

30a_zps901ddaa1.jpg

Okay maybe there are.

But graphics cards' internal power regulators do make noise. I had a fanless Nvidia 8600 which made whiny sounds when it was working hard.

Also:
Oo, fancy. Quad channel memory. Do you do much photo/video editing?

All I know is that we have two computers in the house that run Win8 and whenever I need to do *anything*, even simple crap like change passwords, it takes forever because I can't find JACK. I wish, they didn't think it was cute to move basic stuff around.
That's why Win10 is acceptable to me, it is far more Win7-like. And they didn't change things to be cute, they did it for the entirely self-serving reasons I discussed in short detail above. I'm glad that the loud, sweaty, Ballmer got fired over it and that MS has now apparently turned over a new leaf and is eager to listen to customer input only because the Win8 flop has forced them to do so.

Most of your "Coil Whine" is really caused by power management -- your CPU or GPU try to goto sleep as soon and often as possible.
These "full power steps" from sleep to run and back are what really thump the power delivery system.
These transitions are in the kHz range -- switching supplies are now over 1Mhz - if you can hear them you've got amazing ears....

And yes, those square bricks are inductors (coils).
You need one for each phase of voltage regulation.
At one point - there was a "Vr Phase War" where companies were putting on extra inductors so people would think their Vr had more phases than others....it's all about perception....

Not at all, actually water cooling is more silent

Until it springs a leak. Then...well, except for some sparking and crackling noises, all the whining will be coming from *you*! :wink:

Actually, that looks like a really sweet setup. I've been experimenting with active cooling based on a Hilsch vortex tube.

Back