So, why is MS skipping Win9 and going to Win10?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Anyone heard anything official?

My theory, seriously, is that Windows Nine and Windows Nein! sound alike and the German word for "no" is so well know throughout the English speaking world thanks to WWII movies. Could they have been afraid of this easy potential joke in the age of viral internet memes?

Anyway, the Win10 Technical Preview is now available for download. It downloaded very quickly for me even though it's a 3.8GB ISO. Either they have adequate servers for a change or many have decided to wait due to the expected log jam or there's not much interest:

https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download?ocid=tp_site_downloadpage

This is only for use on machines you don't care about losing everything on as its beta software.

Win8 was so bad they had to skip a number to put more distance between 8 and the next version. (Seriously)
Interesting that they are marketing this as an "enterprise" OS.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

It don't matter what they do, I'm done with them and their changeover to tablet news. This is officially my home page.

That's funny, Winston! You know, rumor has it that the Chevy Nova was never able to sell in Mexico. In Spanish, "no va" means "It doesn't go." :smile:

But back to your question, I don't know, but they may have suddenly changed direction during production, and scrapped 9 and started over.

Or they're trying to break the jinx of the even numbered releases being crap.

I'm surprised they didn't call it Windows X like they did with Flight Simulator X.

Bunch of MS MORONS ( Balmer and his team the morons) ; in Windows 10, the Metro Crap will run in a windows instead of full screen; this is what everyone was telling them to do when they release the Windows 8 Beta. In Windows 8.1 they bring back the start menu; of course everyone was installing a third party apps to do so. Balmer is a clown.

I bought a Windows 8 machine a few weeks ago. I hate it so much I resurrected my old Vista machine. Seems like a schizophrenic OS that can't decide if it's a computer or tablet/phone.

BTW, I never liked Vista, I preferred XP.

It may also be that "X" is also too close to OS-X (mac)
They could have done what the aviation world does and call it "Niner" (which has it's own problems)
In Ballmer's defense, he finally got rid of Sinofsky, but it was too late. We were already saddled with Metro.

Running Win10 tech preview right now. Installation was quick and effortless. Although I didn't see where they specifically mention anything other than allowing an upgrade from Win7 and above, the DVD burnt from their evaluation ISO file allows a clean install, so I put it on an old 320GB drive that had XP installed but deleted all partitions in the Win10 setup sequence and let the Win10 installer set the new system and "Load Disk C:" partition sizes.

They've gone back to enough of a Win7-ish interface and locations that I can find my way around easily to "power user" stuff using mouse and keyboard as one does on a desktop machine, at least until my desktop display IS my desktop. Interesting new features that I'm not using yet:

https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6874549/windows-10-preview-screenshots-features

Basically, having not used the new features yet, Win10 is a Win7 with a crude, tiled, 2D look; no really pretty Aero translucence effects, just a hint of symmetrical drop shadows. Reviews say better appearance is coming since this is an early release (build 9841) and the consumer release isn't until next year. But the whole point of Win8 was to make a common UI and programmer target across all screen sizes and processor capabilities, smart phone to tablet to desktop, a goal which led to the original limitations unacceptable to most desktop users, so we'll see.

As it is, since MS will eventually FORCE anyone who sticks with Windows (just the massive size of the quality freeware base ALONE making that an absolute certainty for me), I CAN easily stomach this user interface when I'm eventually forced to. That doesn't fix MS huge problem with no one wanting to "upgrade" to Win8, but it might be enough for people to stomach and buy a new system like a laptop with Win10 already installed.

BTW, I downloaded 64bit Java and the latest Openrocket runs just fine as I expected it would. The 64bit Chrome browser for Win8.1 I'm using right now obviously does, too. Even though I own a purchased copy, Rocksim's copy protection methods make it more of a pain to install just for checkout than I'm willing to put up with right now.

I bought a Windows 8 machine a few weeks ago. I hate it so much I resurrected my old Vista machine. Seems like a schizophrenic OS that can't decide if it's a computer or tablet/phone.

BTW, I never liked Vista, I preferred XP.
I skipped the buggy Vista, stuck with XP, then upgraded to Win7. I think you'll be able to easily stomach Win10 if and when you eventually must.

BTW, I was/am a Win8 HATER, too. Win10 is OK, but I won't "upgrade" to it on a desktop machine until I have to. However, unlike with Win8 where if I bought a new laptop with it installed I'd definitely go to the expense of installing Win7 in its place (if there were compatible drivers, something that will become less likely over time), I'd gladly just leave Win10 installed.

Last edited:
I am an MS partner and sadly agree with some of the bashing on here. MS with its current management team is the most aggressive when it comes to market share. Personally I think they have gone way past the when it comes to business ethics, which may sound like old news but the level today makes the old days look like they were playing nice.

As far as the Windows, "branded name" vs. "version" some of you might be surprised to know that Windows 8.1 is actually version 6.3, Windows 10 will be 6.4. This started just after Windows NT 4.0 (released in 96) and the last time the branded name matched the version number. Windows 2000, which was called NT 5.0 during development, was simply 5.0. Windows XP 5.1, a Vista 6.0. Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 is version 6.3.

(WinRT, which powers Metro, is a new and separate beast, but it still sits on top of the core Windows kernel.)

Sadly, but technically, modern versions of Windows are still based on the Vista kernel/code base — including Windows 10 (6.4). I say sadly because Vista was a brutal platform from an admin perspective in the corporate world.

windows10_zpsc1ba3867.jpg

This is great news, something they were FORCED to do because they DIDN'T do this with Win8 or at least didn't adequately listen to or react to user input and got creamed:

Windows 10: Microsoft hits a turbo button to get back to business

https://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/...t-hits-a-turbo-button-to-get-back-to-business

Excerpt:

It has gone back to business, and it’s bringing the desktop version back to look and feel like Windows 7 today, but sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the company showed less than 10 percent of all the features it’s readying for the final release. Windows 10 will change rapidly, and just like early releases of the many versions of Windows before it, the final product will look a lot different. Microsoft is building a different operating system a different way, and it's going to radically change what Windows 10 looks like when it comes out in (late) 2015

The big advantage of this new engineering effort is the ability to shape Windows 10 fluidly, but the development process of Microsoft’s new OS will have far-reaching effects on how future updates are delivered. As ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley noted recently, Windows is now treated as a service at Microsoft, and the Windows 10 Technical Preview is a giant test of this model. If it all goes to plan, it means Microsoft will be able to push out updates to Windows in a matter of days. It’s something the company is already doing with the Xbox One, but applying that work to Windows is far more complex. Microsoft has to balance the needs of consumers versus businesses who adopt versions of Windows at a slower pace for fear of breaking things. At the end of the test, the future of Windows should look a lot like Chrome browser updates: fast, unobtrusive, and with lots of improvements.

Over the coming months there will be updates to the Windows 10 Technical Preview very regularly, and the pace will change depending on what features Microsoft wants to test. "We’re inviting our most enthusiastic Windows fans to help shape Windows with us," says Windows chief Terry Myerson. "We know they’re a vocal bunch, and we value that so much and we really, frankly, look forward to all of their feedback." That feedback is an essential part of Windows 10. When you navigate around the operating system there are little prompts where Microsoft wants to know if things were easy to discover, or whether a particular feature worked well. The whole OS, in its Technical Preview form, is geared towards extracting feedback at every step.

The Windowed Metro Apps are so cool, I can now have the Facebook and Mail apps open on my third monitor on the size I want.

I am an MS partner and sadly agree with some of the bashing on here. MS with its current management team is the most aggressive when it comes to market share. Personally I think they have gone way past the when it comes to business ethics, which may sound like old news but the level today makes the old days look like they were playing nice.

As far as the Windows, "branded name" vs. "version" some of you might be surprised to know that Windows 8.1 is actually version 6.3, Windows 10 will be 6.4. This started just after Windows NT 4.0 (released in 96) and the last time the branded name matched the version number. Windows 2000, which was called NT 5.0 during development, was simply 5.0. Windows XP 5.1, a Vista 6.0. Windows 7 was 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, and Windows 8.1 is version 6.3.

(WinRT, which powers Metro, is a new and separate beast, but it still sits on top of the core Windows kernel.)

Sadly, but technically, modern versions of Windows are still based on the Vista kernel/code base — including Windows 10 (6.4). I say sadly because Vista was a brutal platform from an admin perspective in the corporate world.
Considering how far off the Win10 release is (late 2015) and how well my Win10 is working right now with every app I've tried with it so far, I'm beginning to think that there might be a Win9 released as a free upgrade for Win8 users based upon the user input during the Win10 development process. Thus, the skipping of the "Win9" label (for now) with the Win10 upgrade not being a free one. Just a guess.

I will finally have a new OS to sell to my customers, I completely skip Windows 8 and 8.1 for them and still installing Windows 7 only. ( All true I was using 8.1 for myself) Windows 10 will change everything. Now you can see witch Metro Aps is open on the task bar. Very impress until now, even my favorite S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha run flawless. Will go shoot some punk in the Metro to see ( Battlefield 3)

I'm staying with Win7 for quite some time. Threshold (the internal name for it) looks OK, but still has too much Metro/tile/touch in it for my tastes on the desktop. And Area 66, you need an upgrade on that CPU. :)

.... And Area 66, you need an upgrade on that CPU. :)

I know it's old ( 2 years ) but still kick A$$, it usually run @ 4,8 ( Water Cooled ) but I remove the OC for try Windows 10, want to make sure is I have BSOD , it's not cause by the OC

Here when I build it, the 2 GTX-580 are now WC too
pc_zps2db3dcce.jpg

and here the Quad rad with the monster fans and under my AX1200

rad_zpsd09a15c5.jpg

Evidently they're skipping 9 due to lazy code. This from a Gizmodo article-

"An easy (and lazy, and bad) way to check what version of Windows a user is running is to just read in the first little bit of the name the operating system is using to identify itself. There are better ways to do it, but if that first bit reads "Windows 9" it means the operating system has to be either Windows 95 or Windows 98.

Unless of course there's a Windows 9."

Allegedly.

Win8 was so bad they had to skip a number to put more distance between 8 and the next version. (Seriously)
Interesting that they are marketing this as an "enterprise" OS.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Really, I wish people would quit with the crap that Windows 8 was bad. I run it on four different computers, from a 8" tablet to a Core i7 Desktop, and it runs smoothly on all.

And that 8" Windows Tablet does tons more than the iPad mini it replaced for $150 less.

Why do people have such a block against Windows (or maybe Microsoft itself)?

All the things they are "fixing" in Windows 10 are mainly perceptions that some people can't let go of. The Start Screen *IS* the Start Menu. It's more configurable. I'm concerned that the 'new' Start Menu will be a step backward, but I'll wait until I see it

Two real fixes are eliminating (somewhat) the separation between desktop applications and 'Modern' apps, and direct pasting into command prompts (which existed before Win8) ! Hopefully that will handle most of the complaints.

I use Windows 8.1 and love it more than my sister's mac. Not to mention I can't run a ton of rocketry programs on Mac without a VM... :p

Anyone heard anything official?

My theory, seriously, is that Windows Nine and Windows Nein! sound alike and the German word for "no" is so well know throughout the English speaking world thanks to WWII movies. Could they have been afraid of this easy potential joke in the age of viral internet memes?

You might have something there. It's the only thing I've heard that sounds plausible.

Anyway, the Win10 Technical Preview is now available for download. It downloaded very quickly for me even though it's a 3.8GB ISO. Either they have adequate servers for a change or many have decided to wait due to the expected log jam or there's not much interest:

It was pretty slow this morning, so I waited until now to DL it (26% done on the x64 iso with 26 minutes left on a 15mb/s pipe).

This is only for use on machines you don't care about losing everything on as its beta software.

I'm putting it on a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet with detachable keyboard.

That's funny, Winston! You know, rumor has it that the Chevy Nova was never able to sell in Mexico. In Spanish, "no va" means "It doesn't go." :smile:

But back to your question, I don't know, but they may have suddenly changed direction during production, and scrapped 9 and started over.

https://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

No, what they've been showing technically over the past number of months is what was shown yesterday. They just made a marketing decision. It would just be nice if the internal version number matched the marketing numbering

Windows Vista = 6.0
Windows 7 = 6.1
Windows 8 = 6.2
Windows 8.1 = 6.3

Hopefully Windows 10 won't be 6.4, but probably will.

Last edited:
Evidently they're skipping 9 due to lazy code. This from a Gizmodo article-

"An easy (and lazy, and bad) way to check what version of Windows a user is running is to just read in the first little bit of the name the operating system is using to identify itself. There are better ways to do it, but if that first bit reads "Windows 9" it means the operating system has to be either Windows 95 or Windows 98.

Unless of course there's a Windows 9."

Allegedly.

Another plausible reason.

Back