Back after 25 years

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoehlman

Reaction score
Hello all,
This past weekend, I joined DARS for there high power launch. I've been out of rocketry for about 25 years, but still had a LOC Precision kit I built way back. I finally put a respectable paint job on it and certified for level 1. I'm looking forward to sharing the hobby with my 2 young boys.

IMG_3853.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,
This past weekend, I joined DARS for there high power launch. I've been out of rocketry for about 25 years, but still had a LOC Precision kit I built way back. I finally put a respectable paint job on it and certified for level 1. I'm looking forward to sharing the hobby with my 2 young boys.

View attachment 185804

Welcome back!

I just did the same thing. Was out of the hobby for nearly the same amount of time, 23 years. Kids are great for bringing you back! I also had one of my old Loc Kits (a Graduator)... still flies!

Same boat here, launched Fs and Gs when I was 12 or so, I'm 28 now and have an affliction for anything that is fast..
Gonna be fun getting back at it.. Just need to find the time.

Hi :) ....were you mentioned in an old High Power mag article? I seem to remember the name...

Welcome back. Great dramatic liftoff shot. Love the way the white nose cone and the flame are set off against the cloud. Although the sky lowered as the day went on I don't remember it looking nearly as threatening as the pictures suggest. Congrats on the successful L1 flight.

BTW, the word association thread in the Watering Hole is designed to increase your post count quickly for the BuyRocketMotors contest: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60-Forum-Games-Word-Association-(for-ALL-TRF-rs)

Welcome back. Great dramatic liftoff shot. Love the way the white nose cone and the flame are set off against the cloud. Although the sky lowered as the day went on I don't remember it looking nearly as threatening as the pictures suggest. Congrats on the successful L1 flight.

BTW, the word association thread in the Watering Hole is designed to increase your post count quickly for the BuyRocketMotors contest: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60-Forum-Games-Word-Association-(for-ALL-TRF-rs)

Thanks. I was honestly surprised by the exposure when I looked at it.... The cloud didn't seem that dark to me either. Goes to show you the the eye is in the beholder (or camera in this case)

Excellent picture Jack and welcome back. That I140W was ideal for that rocket, great flight.

I got into rocketry because I thought my wife and kids would like it. Turns out they don't, but I'm still doing it. :wink:

Welcome Back to the Fold!
REMEMBER: Level 2 is only a credit card away.......

Share secret to rotating pictures. It was correct in my photo's.

Thanks

Modern cameras actually detect which way is "up," and encode your pics to autorotate in some viewers. But the actual JPG is always landscape.

To alter it, save the file to your PC. Open in it Windows Paint, rotate it 90 degrees one way, then 90 degrees the other way so that it is back to vertical. Resave it, and the "correction" will be gone.

It seems a lot of us are after our second childhood. I too, am back after a 30 year absence. Starting off on mid power for now. Only until I can figure out a suitable place close by for launches, then will go after my Certs.
The wallet has already emptied....waiting for the next payday.

The easiest way to Cert. is to join a local club and attend their launches.

You can use NAR's website and to locate a local NAR sanctioned club.

NAR club locator

Welcome back to the hobby.

David

It seems a lot of us are after our second childhood. I too, am back after a 30 year absence. Starting off on mid power for now. Only until I can figure out a suitable place close by for launches, then will go after my Certs.
The wallet has already emptied....waiting for the next payday.

Share secret to rotating pictures. It was correct in my photo's.

Thanks

Modern cameras actually detect which way is "up," and encode your pics to autorotate in some viewers. But the actual JPG is always landscape.

To alter it, save the file to your PC. Open in it Windows Paint, rotate it 90 degrees one way, then 90 degrees the other way so that it is back to vertical. Resave it, and the "correction" will be gone.

What Bat-mite said, then "... ya do the hokey-pokey and ya turn yourself about.. ". :grin: Seriously, sometimes it takes a coule of tries to get the picture upload feng shui just right.

Welcome back! Your story sounds oddly familiar to me...
The best part (besides sharing the fun with your kids) is all the new stuff you can do these days - electronic payloads, loads of info online, etc.

Back