Aerotech Sumo kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure to leave out the engine hook if it has one and use an estes retainer so you have more motor options. You might also want to consider not using the piston, and maybe also using rail buttons.

Look forward the the build!

Make sure to leave out the engine hook if it has one and use an estes retainer so you have more motor options. You might also want to consider not using the piston, and maybe also using rail buttons.

Look forward the the build!

sumo uses a reverse hook, only acting as a rear retainer. It doesn't limit motor length. However, I agree, dump the hook and use an Aeropack or Estes (Aeropack style) retainer.

It will not melt no matter what, I have several flights on my G-force and Red max and they are very strong.

I just built it. Fun to fly! Only problem I had was getting the piston to fit. Ended up "peeling" some cardboard off the piston. I did away with the motor hook and put on an Estes motor retainer.

I, too, could not get the piston to fit. I threw it away and just use a nomex chute protector.

I never Had trouble with piston i used Sand paper i build my rockets by following plans because of warranty some people build Theres different then others makes the hobby more interesting :)

Fun kit to build and fly. I usually do away with the pistons since they always take some type of maintenance and have had them damaged in the past. The modification I put in place is a baffle. Not sure if I have ever worried or thought about a warranty on a rocket kit. The motors sometimes but not the kit.

Bill Beggs
TRA 5258
NAR 70094

I never Had trouble with piston i used Sand paper i build my rockets by following plans because of warranty some people build Theres different then others makes the hobby more interesting :)

I'm almost certain Aerotech will still give you a refund if there is a problem when you modify kits, they have good customer support apparently. Sounds like following the plans on this will work fine. On a stock G-force however, you can't fly a huge range of motors the kit should be able to fly (engine hook) and it's stock baffle is a bit unreliable (Only one I've seen fly besides mine had ejection problems.) I'm glad the sumo has some changes, since the G-force really could use those changes stock.

Need a few touch ups yet but other then that when it finished take final pic :)

1412335797398.jpg

I'm almost certain Aerotech will still give you a refund if there is a problem when you modify kits, they have good customer support apparently. Sounds like following the plans on this will work fine. On a stock G-force however, you can't fly a huge range of motors the kit should be able to fly (engine hook) and it's stock baffle is a bit unreliable (Only one I've seen fly besides mine had ejection problems.) I'm glad the sumo has some changes, since the G-force really could use those changes stock.

Well sorry for the delay for the g force i use 4fg black powder for ejection i never Had any trouble yet i make sure Its fueled right on line on cap then i Tap it down really Good on forward closure to the delay i called aerotech so many Times on that an thats What they told me an i injoy it.

Glad you can make the stock baffle system work fine (I'm flying single use so I wanted to be careful). The g-force has a long enough motor mont to fly I's but it's limited to 2 grain motors with that hook. Without the hook and baffle you can fly the largest 29mm motors such at the Cesaroni 6GXL or Aerotech 29/360. If you're just flying G's it's fine though. What motors are you going to fly in the Sumo?

Glad you can make the stock baffle system work fine (I'm flying single use so I wanted to be careful). The g-force has a long enough motor mont to fly I's but it's limited to 2 grain motors with that hook. Without the hook and baffle you can fly the largest 29mm motors such at the Cesaroni 6GXL or Aerotech 29/360. If you're just flying G's it's fine though. What motors are you going to fly in the Sumo?

First flight on Sumo going to be a g 64-4w reload can you or someone give me a website too the gps tracking for rockets that you can use on phone or computer thats in case i go bigger motor in Sumo :) thanks If you guys Can help

I looked for it a few days ago and could not find any production GPS modules that you can track with a phone, but I seem to recall hearing of one. Anyone know about getting a phone based tracker?

You'll probably have to add a compartment in the nose cone to house the tracker. Are you going to certify L1 on this rocket?

I looked for it a few days ago and could not find any production GPS modules that you can track with a phone, but I seem to recall hearing of one. Anyone know about getting a phone based tracker?

You'll probably have to add a compartment in the nose cone to house the tracker. Are you going to certify L1 on this rocket?

Ya i thought About it Theres a place in coloubus that flys L1 the g 64-4w Im going to fly close to home

Back