Let's all fly pink rockets for Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewdlaudato

Reaction score
October as you may know is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Not sure if it's been done before, but I'd like to suggest we all make an effort to fly pink rockets at one or more of our October launches, and if possible, take up a collection at a launch and donate to the national organization. Some specific suggestions:

1. https://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-awareness-month to find out more

2. A pink drag race. Load up the pads with pink rockets of all sizes and shape and (safely!) let 'em fly. A recording of this made available to local media would bring positive attention to the hobby and help a lot of people at the same time.

3. For collection, paint the booster section of a large (>= 4") rocket pink, prop it up near the launch table with a donations sign, and encourage folks to drop bills into it. Our club treasurers would handle the donation.

4. Club presidents: call or email your local media and invite them to one of the most unique events they are likely to see in support of BCAM.

5. National organizations (NAR, TRA, ..): do we use your names or not?

It may sound cliche, but all of us have friends and relatives, wives, mothers, sisters and daughters, so this seems like a great way to pitch in. So, go find that can of pink paint and let's get to it.

What does everyone think?

- Matt

--
NAR #91867, L2
Member CMASS, MMMSC, RIMRA, CATO

Last edited:
What really needs to happen is people curbing their appetites for the quick and easy food selections. I became aware of just how many chemicals are in our foods some years ago, and for the most part, a lot of people blow it off. I don't want to start a rant, but really! If people made better choices and started going back to basics, there might not be all these developing conditions and issues we see today. Breast cancer wasn't even heard of when I was in my teens. Now, it like a plague. Why? They have modified our foods to the point that it's killing us. WAKE UP AMERICA!

I'm for it. We could also have a few raffles to generate donations. I will offer up a 25' x 1" nylon strap shock cord that I would like to go to a good home.

WBreast cancer wasn't even heard of when I was in my teens. Now, it like a plague.

Yep...it sure is...the overall cancer incidence rate has risen from 1975 to 2011 by a horrendous 0.075 percent!!!!

Oh my God, it's an epidemic!

Wait...whatta mean the incidence rate has been falling the last 20 years? What about that bell curve of baby boomers reaching their prime cancer rates. Oh....that's accounted for too?

And lets talk about breast cancer shall we?

The incidence rate for breast cancer, again, adjusted for age from 1975-2011 has gone up overall by 0.02 percent. Not 2 percent....0.02 percent. And this is from the high of the mid 1990s.

Are these issues important? Absolutely...and it sucks if you become part of that statistic. I know.

But lets rely on more science and less hype.

https://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2011/results_merged/topic_delay.pdf

FC

It seems that my Purple Nurple is in the shop for repairs due to its 38mm Shock Cord Hard Point ejecting from body tube (for my lack of reading to "use JBWeld only" directions) :facepalm:. My thanks to Cato Chutes for directions to the debris field. This is the perfect time to throw some pink paint down.

Last edited:
I'm up for it! I'm working on repairing a PINK Long Tom for a woman in the area who lost a leg to an car accident this summer.
It wouldn't be too hard to get a new motor mount into it and then into the air by this weekend's club launch!

("Purple Nurple"--- made me smile. Is it really what I'm thinking? Photos, please....)

Great idea, however, ALL of my rockets are fluorescent pink with metallic black accents and I fly them as often as I can without regard to the month of the year.

View attachment 185811View attachment 185812View attachment 185814View attachment 185815View attachment 185813View attachment 185819

I paint them such a bright pink color because it makes my rockets very easy to spot on the ground.
I wear a bright orange safety vest while launching because it makes me very easy to spot if I'm on the ground.

The last two Crayon rockets are of different motor sizes (29mm and 38mm) from Bay Area Rockety kits.. Excellent choices for getting a level 1 cert for under $100. Kits cost about $65 and an Aerotech SU H motor brings the total up to $100. Solid fliers and they whistle.

Last edited:
Good response so far. I want to see club brass on the bandwagon. Purple Nurple - hah!

--
NAR #91867, L2
Member CMASS, MMMSC, RIMRA, CATO

It seems that my Purple Nurple is in the shop for repairs due to its 38mm Shock Cord Hard Point ejecting from body tube (for my lack of reading to "use JBWeld only" directions) :facepalm:. My thanks to Cato Chutes for directions to the debris field. This is the perfect time to throw some pink paint down.

That was painful to watch, I'm glad you got all the parts back.

o1d_dude, I love the way your Squat looks! I just may have to steal that paint job myself.

What really needs to happen is people curbing their appetites for the quick and easy food selections. I became aware of just how many chemicals are in our foods some years ago, and for the most part, a lot of people blow it off. I don't want to start a rant, but really! If people made better choices and started going back to basics, there might not be all these developing conditions and issues we see today. Breast cancer wasn't even heard of when I was in my teens. Now, it like a plague. Why? They have modified our foods to the point that it's killing us. WAKE UP AMERICA!

When my wife was diagnosed after her annual mammogram, they asked if there was a history in her family. She said no but then talked to older family members. There was some history but people from that era did not mention something as intimate as a cancer in a woman's breast. It was all hush-hush and as a result, she had no idea. It is commonly talked about in these times though, giving the impression that it is somehow more prevalent. Also add in the very public campaigns nowadays for raising money for research for it and other cancers and awareness is greatly heightened.

Not to say that being careful about what's in foods is not important. But don't forget the crapload of toxins, carcinogens and other goodies that were everywhere before new rules started coming in. And at least now you can actually know what is in foods. We are better off today than when I was kid!

This was flown last weekend, and will fly again later this month.. Time to repaint a couple of rockets!
DSCF1309.jpg

This rocket was on the repair bench due to a lawn dart. Because it was glassed, I was able to make a fairly clean cut and splice in (& reglass) some replacement body. I'm renaming it Frankenpink - guess what color it will be?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1412207873.848639.jpg

When my wife was diagnosed after her annual mammogram, they asked if there was a history in her family. She said no but then talked to older family members. There was some history but people from that era did not mention something as intimate as a cancer in a woman's breast. It was all hush-hush and as a result, she had no idea. It is commonly talked about in these times though...

Thanks for this story Mike. #flypink!

One idea I just came up with is for the TRF calendar that I am working on, for October, the page would be a collage of pink rockets launching. That could be a cool thing. :p

I will certainly launch something pink at the Indiana Rocketry launch. My current pink rocket needs repairs, It might be easier to build something completely new, but there will be at least one pink rocket.

I paint them such a bright pink color because it makes my rockets very easy to spot on the ground.
I wear a bright orange safety vest while launching because it makes me very easy to spot if I'm on the ground.

I read this and broke out laughing. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. I read it to my wife and she said ,maybe I should start wearing an orange vest at launches too.

I read this and broke out laughing. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. I read it to my wife and she said ,maybe I should start wearing an orange vest at launches too.
It's a joke that the young'uns don't see right a way.

Happy I could make you smile.

Back