Giant Squid Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my latest Monster Odd Roc. A giant squid that was reportedly pulled from Loch Ness in 1916 and trained to attack German U Boats, the secret weapon that finally did in the U Boat menace. Some say is was rocket powered instead of jet powered like its salt water cousins. It took a stern trainer from the Black Watch to train these beasties to attack any German sounds such as speech, polkas, fat ladies singing opera, and returning to the sweet sound of bag pipes. These top secret photos show the actual monster before the program was terminated after the War.

IMG_20140929_213852386.jpgIMG_20140929_214008673 - Copy.jpgIMG_20140929_213952984.jpgIMG_20140929_214045166.jpg

Three 24mm E mid mounted motors with flame fin action will hopefully keep her stable with ample nose weight thrown in as well. Two big fins on the front of a rocket just make it look cool. Six and Eight foot streamers should give a squirmy effect to Squidworth. The balsa tail cone in back gives it a nasty beak.

Last edited:
Now you need to cuttlefish up with a nice book, and a brandy beside the fireplace.

OH! I am so jealous! Been wanting to do this with a stuffed squid.
Excellent work and the GI Joe is a nice touch.

Here is my latest Monster Odd Roc. A giant squid that was reportedly pulled from Loch Ness in 1916 and trained to attack German U Boats, the secret weapon that finally did in the U Boat menace. Some say is was rocket powered instead of jet powered like its salt water cousins. It took a stern trainer from the Black Watch to train these beasties to attack any German sounds such as speech, polkas, fat ladies singing opera, and returning to the sweat sound of bag pipes. These top secret photos show the actual monster before the program was terminated after the War.

View attachment 185704View attachment 185705View attachment 185706View attachment 185707

Three 24mm E mid mounted motors with flame fin action will hopefully keep her stable with ample nose weight thrown in as well. Two big fins on the front of a rocket just make it look cool. Six and Eight foot streamers should give a squirmy effect to Squidworth. The balsa tail cone in back gives it a nasty beak.

That's really cool, these must be fun to build!
Have you launched it yet?

BuiltFromTrash

Very Cool! Impressive Work. Also, I love that you added a Story to go along with it.
I miss the Days when Rockets had a Story to explain their Existence.
Best of luck on her Maiden Voyage/Mission.

My son has been begging me to make a giant quid rocket; his favorite animal. He'd really like to see a launch video; any plans to make one?

Very nice, right down to the end trim on the tentacles!
I look forward to seeing the launch video.

You could name it The Amazing Flying Calamari, but then people might expect an Italian trapeze artist.

Lord willing I will launch this weekend at Oktoberfest or CRASH depending on conditions. It was an easy build, just a Flis tri motor mount, long balsa cone, Apogee nose cone, scrap BT 70 tube from the Apogee free bin, cation tape and orange Duck Tape from the hardware store, googly eyes and plastic weld. I reinforced above the motor mount with a Flis coupler and CA. Trifold mount with underwear elastic for high end recovery performance.

Back