Crazy Ruskies!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
While trying to find a Video on Youtube of a "The Launch Pad" Brand Rocket going Crazy or "Unstable", I stumbled across this Video which is pretty crazy.:surprised:
Enjoy!!!

[video=youtube;S_nCHpdnGIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_nCHpdnGIA[/video]

Yep how they transported their core stage for the Energia rocket... the completed tanks were flown to Kazakhstan on the back of the modified Bison bomber and then the aft thrust structure and RD-0120 engines (IIRC) were added, along with the four Zenit boosters, and lastly the Buran orbiter was added to the stack. The Soviet shuttle was also HORIZONTALLY integrated, unlike the US shuttle which HAD to be erected vertically in the VAB due to the extremely massive weight of the SRB's. The Energia/Buran, however, being all LIQUID fueled, could be assembled "laying flat" and carried out by rail to the pad and "stood up" onto the pad.

Same techniques used for the N-1, Soyuz, and Proton rockets... Cheaper and easier than vertical assembly as the US does, but it also does require the vehicle to be capable of supporting the load paths in both the horizontal and vertical orientations under its own weight... therefore requires somewhat more robust (read heavier) construction than might otherwise be required...

Later! OL JR :)

If I was Mega Rich, I'de by that Jet with its Tank, then empty the Tank and build a Houselike Structure inside of it. It would be the ultimate in Luxury Flying. Plenty of "Leg Room". The front Dome of the Tank I would have re-engineered to include a Massive Window, and that's where I'de put the Master Bedroom. I'de have a Big Telescope in there too. There would also be an "Airlock" for unruly Guests.:)

Last edited:
The Russians definitely created some very unique crafts. The Ekranoplan aka "Caspian Sea Monster" has always been one of my favorites.

[video=youtube;V8Nu94khHoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo[/video]

If I was Mega Rich, I'de by that Jet with its Tank, then empty the Tank and build a Houselike Structure inside of it. It would be the untimate in Luxury Flying. Plenty of "Leg Room". The front Dome of the Tank I would have re-engineered to include a Massive Window, and that's where I'de put the Master Bedroom. I'de have a Big Telescope in there too. There would also be an "Airlock" for unruly Guests.:)

That would be one of the great super villain lairs of all time. You have to think up a great Bond style super villain name to complete the vision.

Everyone does understand that tank was empty...right?

FC

Sure. What's your Point??? I'm sure they filled it and used it for its intended Purpose at one time or another.
Regardless of whether it was to be filled with Liquid Hydrogen or Cotton Candy, it is still an Awesome thing.

Everyone does understand that tank was empty...right?

FC

Thats what I was thinking. The shuttle external tank weighed 60-80,000 lbs empty, whereas the shuttle weighed twice as much empty. So it seems reasonable that an external tank could be transported by air. I do wonder why they didn't put the pointy end forward - I imagine the drag was immense.

Thats what I was thinking. The shuttle external tank weighed 60-80,000 lbs empty, whereas the shuttle weighed twice as much empty. So it seems reasonable that an external tank could be transported by air. I do wonder why they didn't put the pointy end forward - I imagine the drag was immense.

Actually probably LESS drag having it backward than turning it pointy end first...

Look at the cross section-- it's teardrop shaped, just like how we airfoil our fins for minimum drag on model rockets...

The point in the back actually allows the air to close back in on itself behind the tank with minimal turbulence...

Later! OL JR :)

Back