Payloadbay.com Fin Guide Library.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been delayed in finishing my Estes Mega-Mosquito because the fins didn't fit my old fin guide tool. Then in my L1 build, I used the same tool, but somehow ended up with my fins being askew (the tips lean 1/16" off of perpendicular to the BT :facepalm:) . That's it... I'm done with it.

I'm sure that many of the people here are familiar with payloadbay.com, and some of the cool tools it has on it. Now I'm thinking that we can share our fin guide templates from it here (just in case it goes down sometime).

With that, here's what I'm starting with:

Estes Mega-Mosquito fin guide:
View attachment Mega-Mosquito fin guide.pdf

BT-60 3fnc 1/8" thickness fin guide:
View attachment BT60 3fin eigth inch fin guide.pdf

BT-60 4fnc 1/8" thickness fin guide:
View attachment BT60 4fin eigth inch fin guide.pdf

Binder Design 4" BT 3fnc 1/8" thickness fin guide:
View attachment Binder Design 4in tube 3fin eighth inch fin guide.pdf

Last edited:
K'Tesh: I just don't understand why you and other folks building lots of rockets don't skip the Paper, cardstock or whatever fin guides and build or Buy yourself a good fin attachment jig.
I haven't use one of those inaccurate printed fin guides or wrap patterns in 30 years. it is so much easier to use a fin jig to attach fins to any model TTW or Butt on makes no difference.

The fixtures I've been using handle any size body tube I wish to build on (T2-to BT-101) larger can be made but up-scaling the fin attachment fixture. When used with the proper fin thickness spacer the fins are aligned parallel with the body tube automatically. No fin tip cant unless you purposely do so. I've used these two jigs now with 3, 4, 6 and 8 fin rockets some with Strakes and aligned forward fins.
The beauty is once you take the time to build one, It will serve you for the rest of you model building life.

Price, for one reason. I can't afford something like one of the late Art Rose Fin Jigs.

Weight, for another. Lord Willing, I'll be moving to Asia soon, and I've got a lot of stuff as it is now.

Thanks for starting the thread. You don't need to worry about the tools going away. I've been running a web server and maintaining sites for many years and plan to be around to continue to do it for some time to come. :)

But, I don't mind you sharing the PDFs.

If anyone has any ideas for improvements to the current tools or ideas for new ones, please let me know. I'm working on an upgrade to the current tools and appreciate any feedback. You can email me directly at [email protected].

-- Roger

Where can I get free plans to build a fin alignment guide from?

Andrew

K'Tesh are your PDF's the completed addition. I don't see the inch scale legend to verify the correct scale to verify size after printing. Am I missing something?

K'Tesh are your PDF's the completed addition. I don't see the inch scale legend to verify the correct scale to verify size after printing. Am I missing something?

I go to payloadbay. I go to the tools, then to the Fin Guide. I enter in the values, download the results, then (after renaming it), upload the results here. The .pdf files don't have a scale to measure by for this tool. All you should need to do is to print it (actual size) and glue the results to the foam board you'll use for your guide. Unfortunately, there's no way I've found where you can shift the printed area around (to get larger guides to fit on a page).

Last edited:
Seams to me that these places that is using cnc and laser cutting equipment could whip something pretty inexepesively similar to the carb board cut outs that would be far greater in accuracy. I know I built a fin jig couple years ago out of scrap wood from my wood shop. But without my machines now I could not do it.
And I would never pay any of the prices that any of the good jigs sell for. But I would pay for a thin plywood cutout either cnc or laser cut. They could be shipped in the USPS large card board envenlopes. Probably ship less than the normal fee if went by weight. Picked up daily by the postal worker and it's on it's way.
If the template for say the 3 fin, 1/8" BT-80 like the V2 from estes would sell for $5, ship for about $3. or 3 different templates for $5 shipping.
I probably wouldn't bother with anything less than a BT-50.

Adding a couple of the Pro Series II guides today.

Estes Pro Series II 3" OD 4fnc 1/8" thickness fin guide (Leviathan)

Estes Pro Series II 2.5" OD 3fnc 1/8" thickness fin guide (Argent/Partizon)

Thank you kindly, you just saved me a barrel of time.
if time were measured in barrels. I don't think it is. But there'd be a lot in one.

Latest posts

Back