IQSY Tomahawk vs Arreaux

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Is there any reason at all to choose either the Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk vs the Arreaux other than looks? The specifications look pretty much identical, with one an ounce lighter than the other.

Hah! I picked the Arreaux because it was advertised having a payload compartment, whereas the IQSY Tomahawk was not, so I figured there would be some kind of mechanism to hold the nose cone. It looks like there is no extra hardware, exactly the same!

Oh well. At least the three fins will provide less obstruction for my eventual camera plans.

The IQSY Tomahawk has a cargo bay as well. At least I know mine does. I don't think the kit has been changed. I can't remember if it came that way per instructions or if I just opted to build it that way. Either way, it wasn't a giant leap, and was easily incorporated into the build. The Tomahawk is a great flyer and really gets some altitude. I picked the Tomahawk because I prefer scale rockets over sport rockets, but I am a sucker for exotic looking rockets too.

David

Right, I knew they both had a area that could be used for payload.

What I am trying to say is, since Aerotech advertised one and not the other as a payload rocket, I expected that one to have some kind of detaching mechanism for securing the nose cone, or something other than the pressure fitment and glue recommendation of the other. Not so!

No. No special attachment for the nose cone. Most of us just drill a few holes through the tube and into the nose cone and secure it that way with some metal screws, until we move up to dual deployed, then we replace the metal screws with Teflon shear pins or Teflon screws. The ejection gases will shear off those Teflon screws and deploy your main chute when used in conjunction with an altimeter or a timer. The holes you drill into the body tube at the nose cone will need to be strengthened and made pretty solid with medium CA glue so that the pins shear and the paper tube doesn't tear. If you don't want to drill holes yet, the you can secure the nose cone with tape around the outside of the rocket just before flight. Don't count on a friction fit to hold the nose cone in place.

David

Right, I knew they both had a area that could be used for payload.

What I am trying to say is, since Aerotech advertised one and not the other as a payload rocket, I expected that one to have some kind of detaching mechanism for securing the nose cone, or something other than the pressure fitment and glue recommendation of the other. Not so!

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

No. No special attachment for the nose cone. Most of us just drill a few holes through the tube and into the nose cone and secure it that way with some metal screws, until we move up to dual deployed, then we replace the metal screws with Teflon shear pins or Teflon screws. The ejection gases will shear off those Teflon screws and deploy your main chute when used in conjunction with an altimeter or a timer. The holes you drill into the body tube at the nose cone will need to be strengthened and made pretty solid with medium CA glue so that the pins shear and the paper tube doesn't tear. If you don't want to drill holes yet, the you can secure the nose cone with tape around the outside of the rocket just before flight. Don't count on a friction fit to hold the nose cone in place.

David

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton!

Well pinning the nose cone to the payload tube with screws is a valid technique but I have trusted and will continue to trust tape for rockets this size and payloads like small cameras. Masking tape around the nose cone shoulder, a turn or two of "magic" clear tape around the outside cone/tube joint (or vinyl "electrical" tape) and I'm good to go. I also punch a couple of small (1/16th) vent holes in the payload tube for pressure relief. YMMV :)

Back