At Last; Video of the Aerotech I65 White Lightning

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyrobob

Reaction score
It's been 15+ years but we finally reunited!

Video taken at the Dallas Area Rocket Society's (https://www.dars.org) High Power Rocket Launch yesterday. Rocket was a LOC EZI-65 - how fitting!

8+ seconds of White Lightning. Awesome.

Check it out:

[video=youtube_share;IAxqRKT4TEc]https://youtu.be/IAxqRKT4TEc[/video]

It's been 15+ years but we finally reunited!

Video taken at the Dallas Area Rocket Society's (https://www.dars.org) High Power Rocket Launch yesterday. Rocket was a LOC EZI-65 - how fitting!

8+ seconds of White Lightning. Awesome.

Check it out:

Wasn't that rocket made for that motor?

TA

Wasn't that rocket made for that motor?

TA

Yes, I believe so. When I first brought these motors to a DARS launch a few months back I remember hoping that the planets would be aligned and someone would show up with the right rocket, a smallish lightweight rocket with a 54mm motor mount which is something fairly uncommon; preferably the LOC EZI-65. About halfway into the launch a member walks up and asks for a Level 1 motor suggestion. I inquired about the rocket he had and wouldn't you know, it was the LOC EZI-65. It was a surreal moment and I was totally excited. I handed him the the I65, which I have to admit is kind of an intimidating motor to handle since it's 54mm and most H's and I's are, well, not 54mm. I explained that the motor was just reintroduced to the market after ~20 years and that his rocket was inspired by the motor. Well, he wound up certifying on the I140W but eventually picked up the I65W which was sweet.

I'd really like to see an I65W in a minimum diameter rocket...........

I have GOT to get me one of those! I love long burn motors!

Awesome! I want to put one in my Giant Leap Escape Velocity...it's not min diameter (2.56) but would be perfect for this motor.

I'd love to see the opposite, i.e. the H550ST, in action as well. I finally found a shot of one on your website, pyrobob. I didn't realize you had the launch photo of the H550 until I looked a little harder. Man, what a flame!

That was pretty awesome!
The LOC EZI-65 is going to be my Rocket when I eventually go for Level 1.

I'd really like to see an I65W in a minimum diameter rocket...........

I am planning in that next year. Likely phenolic for weight purposes.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I am planning in that next year. Likely phenolic for weight purposes.

Mark Koelsch

I'd be curious to know what that sims out at? The rocket in the video did ~3600'. A few hours earlier it did ~3300' on the hard hitting I500T. I'm guessing about a mile in a minimum diameter rocket.

I flew one in a Laser/LOC 2.1 a few years ago. I'll have to dig the video up. Unfortunately the altimeter reset on landing, but it was a very cool flight.

My design is early on, but with some optimizing I am thinking about a mile

Mark Koelsch

I Just looked in openrocket (just updated also) and there doesn't seem to be a motor file for the I65... Am I just thick and missing it?Or is it just too old? Does anybody have the file?

Really cool especially against a cloudless sky. Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to see the opposite, i.e. the H550ST, in action as well.

Well continuing the EZI-65 vein, here is something close to what you want, an EZI-65 on a J570W for my L2 Cert flight. Just mentally picture the flame blue and a bit shorter instead. :D

[YOUTUBE]_spFij32FY8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Nice. That's a beefy motor in an EZI-65 which of course is cool.

Yeah, WOW. That is a big motor for an EZ. Was it stock? No glass? Great flight...and motor too:)

Yeah, WOW. That is a big motor for an EZ. Was it stock? No glass? Great flight...and motor too:)

I try to keep a 1:1 or better Fire to Rocket length ratio when possible. :D

It has tip-to-tip fiberglassing, and one layer of glass around the top of the body tube. It was probably one of the ugliest fiberglassing jobs around, did it in a few hours a few nights before I was going to launch. The others made fun of me for it the night before. :( But I had my vindication when it flew arrow straight and I was the only one who didn't get a fin damaged by the lack of snow covering on the ice. :p

It had previously crashed on my first lvl 2 attempt on a J90W. A bit slow off the pad so it cocked a few degrees, the lower apogee caused the deployment charge to go off after apogee, wound up the parachute and broke some fins off and damaged the body tube. So I glassed it to keep it from getting hurt as easily again since the stock wood fins are pretty fragile.

Nice! Who cares how it looks...I've got some rough glass jobs myself. Not the best finisher, I have to say.

Okay, who's got the H550ST vid? More I65W vids? How bout an I65W-H45W two stager? I know that's been talked about on here...and done in the past.

Back