Operator error creates need to have Raven2 checked out.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailorbill

Reaction score
Adrian
I tried to send this as a PM but your in box is full.
Due to a less than optimal recovery experience at Balls23 caused by operator error :facepalm: my 6" Endeavour came in from 14,400 and deployed everything at 800 ft. The Raven survived but the rocket did not. The Raven was beeping out altitude but the large Capacitor was raised up off the board. It hit hard and for my peace of mind I would appreciate it you could check it over.
Please PM me with details on where to ship etc.
I will gladly pay all shipping costs etc.
Thanks.

As an education for fellow raven users could you tell us what the error was? How fast was it moving at deployment?

As an education for fellow raven users could you tell us what the error was? How fast was it moving at deployment?
enderw88
The error was mine. I wanted to deploy main at apogee with out reprogramming the altimeters. Unfortunately hurried/tired brain saw my terminals marked "Main" and hooked the charges there instead of the "Apogee" terminals where they should have gone.:facepalm:
I am not sure of the velocity but the rocket was a 6" diameter PML Ultimate Endeavour with a tail cone, 9'6" tall, 1/8" Honeycomb composite split fins and weighed about 30 pounds after burn out. Everything deploys from one end on this rocket. It fell from 14,420 ft. before deploying a 24" drogue that pulled out the 84" Fruity Chutes Iris Ultra at approximately 800 ft. There was enough force to break a 3/16" triangular SS link that connected the main to the 1.5" nylon strap recovery harness with sewn loops that was attached by a 1/4" triangular SS link to a 3/8" forged S/S eye nut connected to 3/8" ASTM A193 Grade B7 chromium-molybdenum AISI 4140 alloy steel threaded rod with a Class 2A thread fit, maximum Rockwell hardness of C35, and minimum tensile strength of 125,000 psi. The AV bay separated from the fin can at a point just in front of the CTI 75mm 6 grain case. None of the recovery gear below the 3/16" link suffered any damage. I will see if I can determine velocity later from the download of the Raven file. I will also try to post pictures of the rocket.

Phred-10-24-12-w.jpg
Phred on a CTI M3100 WT.

AV Bay.WE.jpg
AV Bay lay out showing Alts and Batteries.

Av Bay Int.WE.jpg
Detail of the inside of the AV bay compartment
showing the 3/8" and 1/4" rod that held it together.

That capacitor's leads bend very easily; I believe the manual suggests that you epoxy it to the board and I've found that's good insurance. Add some epoxy and bend it back down and I suspect you'll be fine. My Raven has survived several crashes.

Thanks Mike. That is what I figured. Our flying season is about over depending on the weather in November, so I will not need it until spring.

Two more pictures

100_1293ac.75.jpg
My rocket Phred ready to launch from the 1000' pads to the left of launch control. :)

0920141310bc.75.jpg
Phred all busted up after the flight. :(

If had a similar 'high G landing'. You can use the calibration routine to see if the data looks right.

If I don't hear from Adrian I will check that out.
I still want the experts to check out my electronics (Raven RRC2 Mini and BRB900) and my parachute (Fruity Chutes Iris 84) just for a little peace of mind. It will take me some time to get the new parts for the rocket and to start the rebuild. Phred will fly again.

If had a similar 'high G landing'. You can use the calibration routine to see if the data looks right.

Have it fire a charge too. I have one that landed hard enough to knock what I think are two of the output transistors off the board. It still works except for the firing the charges part.

Have it fire a charge too. I have one that landed hard enough to knock what I think are two of the output transistors off the board. It still works except for the firing the charges part.

I fixed the full inbox problem.

The capacitor leads are easy to bend, but they're also pretty resilient. I haven't had a lead break yet even after pulling it up a few times for rework. Tacking down the capacitor keeps everything in place in the event of a hard landing, though.

I'd be happy to check it out, but you can also do it yourself and save the shipping. Here's what I do to check out an altimeter in a case like this.

1. Connect a (incandescent) Christmas tree bulb to each output
2. Power it up and connect with the Featherweight Interface Program (FIP)
3. Check the real-time data to verify that the accel is reading about right when it's upright and sideways
4. Check the baro sensor altitude and temperature in the real-time data. +/-300 feet of your actual altitude is typical based on weather systems
5. Check that all 4 outputs have continuity readings
6. Run a simulated flight, making sure that each output turns on its Christmas tree bulb at the appropriate points in the flight.
7. If any deployment charges don't fire, then I open up the graphs of the recorded flight data and compare to the deployment settings

This is a recommended checkout procedure any time you change the deployment settings or if you have a new av-bay setup. This is also the checkout that each Raven goes through before shipping.

-Adrian

Bummer, Bill!

Everything other than the airframe survived, I hope? Can Phred be resurrected?

BTW if you need bulbs for testing, I have a bunch

You'll have to fill me in later on more details about your trip

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back