Reasons why rocketry is a good habit (hobby) to have...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A perfectly legal hobby that still makes people say, "Is that legal?" when they see you launching.

For areas with cold/warm seasons, it's an indoor hobby that transitions to an outdoor hobby and especially if you get into the science aspect of it, it prevents brain rot.

You won't have to worry about burglars anymore. You'll be on every federal watch list and between the black SUV parked in front of the house 24/7 and the countinuous presence of drones overhead, any potential burglars will stay away.

Because if I ever launched 10 real missiles, it would have a deleterious effect on life as we know it.

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

What other hobby can safely combine combine CAD, fine craftsmanship, balsa sanding, research, explosives, and Saturday mornings with your kids chasing your (hopefully) gently descending creation?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I love the fact that there are so many directions to explore with it: performance, modeling craftsmanship, payloads, high power, running across cactus filled fields...

It’s cheaper than fast cars and faster women.

And it is less likely to lead to divorce than the above.

It's cheaper than golf.
It's really hard to build rockets in a bar.
It's more exciting than golf.
It's really hard to build rockets at Hooters.
It's educational.
It's a good excuse for a walk.

From a T-shirt I saw some time ago... "Rocket Science: Making everything else look easy since 1948!"

Or this sign hanging over a couple of rocketry workbenches that gives you a convenient excuse for those occasions when things don't go quite as planned.

View attachment 185549

Hey, I'm no rocket surgeon either!

Attachments

• surgeon.jpg
    surgeon.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 54
I have recovered rockets from as far as a mile away, in a pond, across a stream, in a tree, on a roof, in a ditch, and on the other side of a field of crops. This is about the only exercise I get!

Picture a typical launch day: load the vehicle, unload the vehicle, set up the canopy, set up the work table, walk to the RSO desk, walk to the pad, recover, walk to the vendor, walk to the spot-a-pot, walk around and see what other people are flying, do all of this several times, take down the canopy, reload the vehicle, unload the vehicle when you get home.

That's a lot of exercise!

Oh come on, now people! Really??? Not one comment on building a rocket at Hooters?? I am so disappointed-especially at Thirsty......lol!

Because not every 16 year old kid knows how to work a bandsaw, dremel, drill press, handheld drill, epoxy, fiberglass, 4 letter words, #$%^&*()-... :p

$#!+ Most people these days are absolutely pathetic when it comes to basic mechanical skills, let alone using power tools.

Because not every 16 year old kid knows how to work a bandsaw, dremel, drill press, handheld drill, epoxy, fiberglass, 4 letter words, #$%^&*()-... :p

$#!+ Most people these days are absolutely pathetic when it comes to basic mechanical skills, let alone using power tools.

Not my son... He'll be building an Arreaux by himself because, " Daddy, I want to build one that goes on the big pads. By myself. You can watch and make sure I'm okay though."

He's eight. And yeah, I'll be watching. :)

I did when I was 16, but my father was a woodworker. My son did, too. I'm very fortunate to have the father I had...

Back