lube for o-ring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1tree

Reaction score
Getting ready for a launch tomorrow and I can't find my lube for the o-rings and threads. Can someone tell me what can be used when one doesn't have what came with the casing? (I am using Aerotech if it matters.)

Vaseline- Drug Store
Lube Gel - Radio Shack
Wheel Bearing Grease- Auto Parts store
Borrow some at the launch.

Tony

synthetic grease.

"Super Lube" is the brand name that I think comes withe the AT cases (and is what my on-site vendor sells)
Can probably find it at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes

looks like this:
pACE3-5758517dt.jpg

There was some different stuff I found at ace one time that worked well, too but I can't find it to show you a picture.

Last edited:
I use the same Super Lube as Robert has pictured above. I bought the last tube at Harbor Freight but haven't seen it there lately.

None of the Lowe's or Home Depot stores by me carry it either.

Our on-site vendor stocks it so perhaps yours does too.

I've been using Vaseline for 11 years now on all my Aerotech cases from 24/40 to 54/1706. Never had a problem or issue.
I bought the tube 11 years ago and still have most of it left. At the rate I'm using it, it'll probably last another 20 years or better.

Olive oil,
Body lotion,
spit,

All will work.

I had bought Super Lube before I became a BAR, and was using it as a dielectric grease. It's pretty good stuff, and my local Ace carries it.

From what I understand, the lube is there so everything seats correctly. Not to seal. So any lube should work, but using a good one really makes a difference in clean-up.

In a pinch you can rub the side of your nose. It does not take much. If you use Vaseline, use it very sparingly since it can melt and migrate at a lower temperature then the alternatives.

ear wax , this is why it's important to not wash them 10 days before a launch

You can use spit for the lube, right? I told this to the person who was working with me on my 2 stage rocket, and he asked why I was spitting on my orings...

I have some grease with molybdenum in it. I've heard mixed things about that type of grease. What are peoples thoughts? For now it would be 29/360 and smaller. I've been using Vaseline but I don't like it much. Last motor I flew (G75J) the forward closure was very sticky with something wherei had put Vaseline.

Nate

Go to Auto Zone and get some of this...
I have used it for G reloads to M reloads.
It's nice to have lots cause I like to coat the inside
of my cases for easy clean up.
Just make sure to tear down not too long after
firing as it tends to get a little 'sticky'.

Coastal Uniplex Hi Temp.jpg

Olive oil,
Body lotion,
spit,

All will work.

Yup!

it doesn't have to be fancy; the point is to keep the o-ring from tearing as the motor is assembled.

I bought a tub of cheap (cheapest I could find at the auto parts store) bearing grease, and use that.

-Kevin

I am surprised nobody has said Astro Glide. It is quite the cosmic experience after all.

I am surprised nobody has said Astro Glide. It is quite the cosmic experience after all.

I was actually just going to. Haven't used that brand, but have found similar products work well and clean up easier than anything I've ever tried.

The Super Lube is a good choice. When I first started I would use vaseline but did hear about issues that people had and stopped using it. I never had any problems but it was a personal choice. The stuff I use now is the Dow Corning DC 4 Electrical Insulating Compound. Again, just a personal preference and it has worked great in all the motors I have launched and cleaned up.

DOW-4-5-3OZ.JPG

Any of them, take your pick, just don't use ear wax or facial oil.

Back