Musket Chops ~ 5" diameter rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you find 4.5" couplers?

Rocketry Warehouse

Very, very nice Manny. Looking forward to pics of everything as it's ready to go!

I assume those little cups in the oven with the grains are the R45/Curative for pre-treating the FWFG casting tubes? I also assume you scuffed the ever living crap out of those things.

Yes and yes

Manny, I am excited to see this fly! I will probably stop by and introduce myself and get a little closer look.

....oh....it's an ARCAS!! Looks cool!!

Manny, this project looks awesome, I am very impressed with how far you have come. Good luck.

Just a word to the wise, you may want to instruct the machinist to break all edges with a small chamfer. That will keep your o-rings from being cut on installation and, more importantly, keep the graphite from crumbling. There should also be a radius of sorts at the inside corner of the aft diameter reduction to prevent a stress failure upon loading. I didn't do it on my recent 76mm nozzle and I am a little concerned with how it will perform. The web is pretty thick, however...

View attachment 264561

Not to hijack the thread, but I must say this is a nicely finished nozzle! Dan, how did you chuck the graphite and not leave any bite marks? Soft jaws?

Not to hijack the thread, but I must say this is a nicely finished nozzle! Dan, how did you chuck the graphite and not leave any bite marks? Soft jaws?

Nope, standard jaws. Final step is to lightly chuck the nozzle and hit it with some fine steel wool. Flip and do the same, followed by a rub down with a paper towel.

Manny, what are you doing for a liner?

Looks like a fun project and I'm bummed I won't be at Aeronaut to see it.

Derek

Manny, what are you doing for a liner?

Looks like a fun project and I'm bummed I won't be at Aeronaut to see it.

Derek

4.5" filament wound fiberglass tube.

That's too bad, I was hoping to see that P motor project of yours.

Nope, standard jaws. Final step is to lightly chuck the nozzle and hit it with some fine steel wool. Flip and do the same, followed by a rub down with a paper towel.

Got it, thanks Dan!

4.5" filament wound fiberglass tube.

That's too bad, I was hoping to see that P motor project of yours.

How are you building up the liner to fit the 4.625" ID?

Yeah, I've rescheduled for Balls. I thought I could get away to aeronaut but my wife decided otherwise.

Finished the motor/ rocket and slapped an ARCAS paint job on it. T-3 hours until Black Rock departure.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438111126.128450.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438111217.853203.jpg

Good luck Manny! We're pulling for you! Proud of you buddy; can't wait to hear about your adventures!

...wish I was there!...

-Eric-

(Even though i'm pretty much done with this #@$%'n website.) Manny, i wish you...Steve and, Alex the best of luck this weekend. Safe trip and, beautiful skies my friend! :cool:

I lit the motor today.

U_Have_Benn_Served_Vaun_Braun_zpsjlbmxmua.jpg

I'm sad to hear this, Manny. Hope you're enjoying a cold beer tonight. (You're 21 right?)

I lit the motor today.

Manny-

As I've known you when you were an overly enthusiastic young teen *bouncing* all over rocket fields throughout the Midwest...

To the *slightly more* reserved young man with proper schooling around him now...

The things you will do- Tomorrow...scare me in a good way.

Those who do not try-
Never fail.
Those who never fail-
Aren't trying hard enough.
Keep trying-
You'll figure all the angles out over time...unfortunately time can be a real mother#%^*€r.

Keep trying my friend...

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and, make some more memories. (Hopefully good ones.)

I'll see you in Kansas.

Back