L2 question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do a lot of flyers just launch a basic rocket or does it have to be dual deployed? I always felt just get the cert and leave the fancy builds for later. I was thinking about using a LOC Mini Magg for my L2??

Mad Cow 4" DX3 is popular. Do the L2 as a single deploy (about 4K' with a small J) and then start having fun with DD on the same rocket.

Best advice is to build something that you can also fly on L1 motors so that you can test it out and get familiar with it. Fly it on an I till you are comfortable. Then for your cert flight, just bump it up to a J.

As for DD or not, depends on the size/weight of the rocket and how far you want to walk to recover it. If you have a huge field and don't mind walking, skip DD. On a smaller field with lots of trees or streams, then DD might be a necessity.

I would like to do a dual deploy at some point but would rather build one after my L2 flight. Just want focus on the cert first.

You can use a DD rocket and simply do a single deployment and build the Ebay later after your certification.

Ditto- I'm planning (hoping?) to cert my L2 with a Madcow Frenzy. Have it built to do DD, but will just run the electronics in monitor mode (with Xmas light loads to sim igniters) for the cert launch for fun. Deploy will be motor eject. I'm not yet finished with the build, so I'm not 100% certain of mass, but my early sims show it tops out just north of 3500 feet on a J240. I'm comfortable with that sort of walk!

You can use a DD rocket and simply do a single deployment and build the Ebay later after your certification.

+1 on this. I had ebay extensions built for my L1 and L2 rockets. Did fairly simple single deploy for the certs., then added in the ebays and sent right back up as dual deploys. My first 5 hp motors were H, I, J, K, L.

I only did DD for my L2 because I didn't want the long walk. It definitely made it much more stressful - and it's why my first attempt was unsuccessful.

Hi Bill,

We might have both gotten our L1's on the same day at TCC awhile back.

I think my preference would be to keep it simple. I'm thinking about an LOC Warlock or Doorknob when I get to that point. I like big rockets that don't go too high, so these two are kind of my style anyway, and they would make for a non-complicated L2.

EDIT: Also, these rockets have huge nosecones that can be set up for head end deployment, so you don't need an extension if you want to do that later. ChrisAttebery has a thread on his project doing that right now.

Last edited:
I'm in the scratch-built camp :) Been working on a 4" build for a while. It has a LOC baffle on the end of a 36" 54mm motortube. The plan is a 38mm J350-10 that I've had since before the "bad time". It's getting some age now, 16 years, time to burn one down ;) Plan is later to fly on a J800-14, really test the motorwell thing out. :)

after-burner, electrics are required for 3rd level. Rules say may be used for second level but not necessary. I saw a guy up here try more times than I know of to get his. Insisted on electronics. Fail after fail after fail. He did get it eventually.

Last edited:
I'm all for everyone doing their certs the way THEY want to do things.

That said, here's my take:
I think that DD should definitely be a part of an L2 cert flight. I'm one of those that thinks that each cert level should be challenging to some degree, and that it makes sense to take your designing/building/flying skills up a notch or two each time. Otherwise, all you are really doing is flying on a bigger motor. This doesn't mean that things should be needlessly or overly complex - you can certainly "keep it simple" to some degree. But honestly, dual deploy is really not all that hard or difficult to do. As well, it seems to me that anyone flying J/K/L motors really should have this skill in their quiver. If you simply don't want to use DD to get the cert, then no big deal. But if you are avoiding it because you don't know how to do it, or that you feel it's too complicated or scary, well then I really question whether flying J/K/L motors makes sense for you at this time. Perhaps it would be best for you to fly a whole bunch more L1 flights, get comfortable with DD and the demands of bigger motors, and THEN take the next step into L2. What's the rush?

But again I will say this is MY TAKE, and what makes sense FOR ME. Others are free to do what makes sense for them, as long as they stay within the rules, keep it safe, and have fun.

s6

I think the L2 flight can be as simple as an L1 cert flight or even a non-certified flight, if you want it to be. You are not required to use electronics, and I don't think you are even required to build the motor. If you wanted to, you could buy a large 38mm or 54mm Aerotech DMS, drill the delay to what you want, and use motor ejection. At least that is how I understand it. (Caveat --- this is coming from a guy who has not even certified L1 yet.)

It's nice that the actual rules give some leeway. I too did scratch builds for my L1 and L2; I enjoy the challenge of designing, building, flying, and recovering my own rocket, and it was icing on the cake to cert that way. That being said, that's not at all what the rules require - it's jut my personal choice. I flew electronics on L1 rockets to get the hang of it before relying on it for my L2. Some folks will cert w/o electronics and then take their time to learn on their L2 rockets. It's all good.

I flew my L1 on a Super DX3, then added DD to it and then flew my L2 on the same rocket with DD and a baby J. The actual level 2 flight was lower that the full I motor flight because of all the extra weight I added to it. If I was just trying to get the cert I would fly a big rocket without DD and a baby J. You will not need to learn much more that the L1 but the stress level would be a lot lower. I would recommend taking the test a few days before so you don't have it as a distraction and use a checklist.

I'm all for everyone doing their certs the way THEY want to do things.

That said, here's my take:
I think that DD should definitely be a part of an L2 cert flight. I'm one of those that thinks that each cert level should be challenging to some degree, and that it makes sense to take your designing/building/flying skills up a notch or two each time. Otherwise, all you are really doing is flying on a bigger motor. This doesn't mean that things should be needlessly or overly complex - you can certainly "keep it simple" to some degree. But honestly, dual deploy is really not all that hard or difficult to do. As well, it seems to me that anyone flying J/K/L motors really should have this skill in their quiver. If you simply don't want to use DD to get the cert, then no big deal. But if you are avoiding it because you don't know how to do it, or that you feel it's too complicated or scary, well then I really question whether flying J/K/L motors makes sense for you at this time. Perhaps it would be best for you to fly a whole bunch more L1 flights, get comfortable with DD and the demands of bigger motors, and THEN take the next step into L2. What's the rush?

But again I will say this is MY TAKE, and what makes sense FOR ME. Others are free to do what makes sense for them, as long as they stay within the rules, keep it safe, and have fun.

s6

Stealth I like your response here. I'm tempted to do dual deploy on my L2, but it has nothing with being afraid or not being uncomfortable. I'm up for all the challenges that this awesome hobby offers, but I just want to get the cert and be done with it. I figure once I get L2 then I can take my time and enjoy other builds such as dual deploy, clusters or a combination of both? Right now just getting a feed back on what others on here think.

If I decided to go just with motor ejection and not dual deploy I would go with a LOC Mini Magg

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Minie-Magg?cPath=1_86&

For dual deploy I would consider the MADCOW Torrent

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_3_Kits/Torrent_Rocket_Kit?cPath=1_232&

So those are my two choices. Not only that I'm also considering cost.

Lets say the kit is $150 and electronics will probably run another $200 plus also miscellaneous items hardware can add up so just depends on my budget

I think the L2 flight can be as simple as an L1 cert flight or even a non-certified flight, if you want it to be. You are not required to use electronics, and I don't think you are even required to build the motor. If you wanted to, you could buy a large 38mm or 54mm Aerotech DMS, drill the delay to what you want, and use motor ejection. At least that is how I understand it. (Caveat --- this is coming from a guy who has not even certified L1 yet.)

This is a very good explanation! :cheers:

For L2 both TRA and NAR; the flyer must pass a written test, Build their own rocket, and complete a successful flight.

The new Areotech DMS motors are available in J, K and L power, and include an adjustable delay for motor deploy. They are very easy to use.

You can make your cert flight more complex if you want to, but there's no "complexity" requirement to cert L1 or L2.

If you are into complex rockets, you can fly electronics, cameras, dual deploy, clusters, staged, various types of recovery, Rocket boosted RC gliders, etc, etc, etc, in G power and under - and not need to be certified at all. :)

There are lots of ways to get your Rocket Jollies :cool:

Given your goal, I would scratch any preliminary flights with an H or I motor. Use a small J for the first flight (certification flight). I personally never understood why one would do anything else. If you have flown L1, the difference is rather insignificant, and there is little reason for failure. The Torrent is basically a short DX3 with the DD parts. You could still easily fly it as a single deploy for your cert.

One minor but important correction. This is copied directly from the Tripoli certification rules. Of course, if you fly with a DMS motor, there's no assembly to observe.

Motor
– The certification flight must be with a single certified J, K, or L motor (tested total impulse between 640.01 and 5120.00 n-secs). Staged and/or Clustered rockets may not be used for certification flights. The flyer shall be observed by the certifying member or their designated representative during the assembly (if a reload or hybrid) and preparation of the motor.

That being said, I don't know how consistently this is done. I like to assemble motors on the bench rather than in the field (more controlled conditions; fewer distractions).

Last edited:
Consider going with a Flying Pumpkin. Everything from H to L. Single deploy. You could later modify it to put an alt. in the NC and use a cable-cutter. Only $129 from Rocketry Warehouse.

Latest posts

Back