Something weird

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
There is this wet stuff falling from the sky. Wonder what it is...

20140925_082202.jpg

20140925_090706.jpg

We had some of that here too. It only took me 1.5 hours to get the 37 miles to work this morning. :( I'm logging in from home tomorrow morning until the traffic clears up.

qquake, you and I have a similar sense of humor. I thought about posting exactly the same thing this morning, but got distracted by trying to get my kids out the door in time for school.

What is that stuff anyway? I've heard stories of water falling from the sky. Some people call it rain. I thought it was just a myth.

I was surprised my commute wasn't affected very much by slick roads. I guess I got lucky this morning.

You’re on “The Rocketry Forum” and your post is titled “Something Weird”?

I don’t even know where to begin.

It wont stop raining here! Take ours!
I just want one good day so i can spray some rockets, which I have 6 waiting!

We've had several times this summer where I would've gladly shared with you -- we've had monsoon season a few times.

Glad you guys are finally getting some badly needed moisture. Hope it continues for a while, and comes at a rate the soil can absorb (no landslides)

-Kevin

I was very surprised to see moisture this morning. I had forgotten what it looked like. Of course I had left my "paint booth" (a canvas drop cloth hung from a line) out overnight, not realizing it might rain, and it is totally soaked! But it should dry out just fine, and it's a small price to pay for desperately needed rain. Does anyone know if it rained at all in the Snow Ranch area? Last year we had so many canceled launches due to the drought...

Maybe this means that SARG can find a nice, green launch site here soon! :)

I was very surprised to see moisture this morning. I had forgotten what it looked like. Of course I had left my "paint booth" (a canvas drop cloth hung from a line) out overnight, not realizing it might rain, and it is totally soaked! But it should dry out just fine, and it's a small price to pay for desperately needed rain. Does anyone know if it rained at all in the Snow Ranch area? Last year we had so many canceled launches due to the drought...

According to the radar, they got some in Farmington. But it won't do any good at all, since the first launch of the season isn't scheduled until November. We need to get some good consistent rain next month.

According to the radar, they got some in Farmington. But it won't do any good at all, since the first launch of the season isn't scheduled until November. We need to get some good consistent rain next month.

True, this one rain won't count for much come November. But maybe it will get the green grass started, and hopefully it is a sign of a wetter season to come.

I'm actually not a huge fan of rain, but I've found myself missing it! I'd like to get enough this year to be sick of it again! Last year I had bought some nice rain gear, and I actually felt bad that I never really got a chance to wear it --- now that is "Something Weird!"

Guys, have you ever seen the movie "Chinatown" with Faye Dunaway and Jack Nickelson? It's all about the Californian water table and droughts, and how the state moved to "steal" the water from the Owens valley. it's worth a critical watch again in light of the dry lakebed situation you face!

Oh yeah... that wet stuff... Take some from NC. A few weeks ago, 1 hour north of where I live got 9 inches of rain in a matter of hours.

Guys, have you ever seen the movie "Chinatown" with Faye Dunaway and Jack Nickelson? It's all about the Californian water table and droughts, and how the state moved to "steal" the water from the Owens valley. it's worth a critical watch again in light of the dry lakebed situation you face!

I think it's actually about how LA "stole" the Owens Valley water --- both are in the state of California.

Water rights are crazy and lead to a lot of insane scenarios, like one in which an area that is a desert may actually have the rights to water that falls elsewhere --- in a drought, the area with the rights to the water may actually have to take fewer conservation measures than the area where the rain originally fell and where the need for the water may be just as great. The reason the movie is called "Chinatown" is not because the movie has anything to do with any particular Chinatown or the Chinese in any way --- it's because the politics, plots and schemes around the water issues are as inscrutable and baffling to outsiders as something that happens in a foreign enclave.

I agree it is a good movie, something I haven't watched in years and should probably check out again. I remember it was funny that Nicholson had to wear a bandage on his nose for almost the entire thing.

As much as I'd like to see a bit of rain get the green stuff going out at Snow Ranch, what we really need is not rain so much as it is snow.

just saying.

Pick a summer day here that we DONT get rain, your welcome to some of ours :p
I install Sat TV - there is nothing that sucks more than being just about ready to leave a custs house and a Thunder boomer rolls in and it drops signal before your gone :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... that wet stuff... Take some from NC. A few weeks ago, 1 hour north of where I live got 9 inches of rain in a matter of hours.

If Mulholland was still alive he might just take you up on that offer and suck away all your water!!

Our local lake is almost empty and there still required to keep releasing water for the fish below the dam. You would think they could relocate them untill there is enough water to share?

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/comb_votes_to_send_letter_to_bureau_of_reclamation_fish_releases

Last edited:
What is left of your California storms are blowing through here right now with no rain, typical. Wouldn't be suprized if it blew down some trees through the valley.

Fortunately I remember rain in the forecast so last I night I went out somewhat after the Witching Hour and closed all the window in the car and truck.

Unfortunately, I left the bedroom window open and was awakened when a cat knocked over a flower pot and subsequently when it began to rain.

Last figures I saw said we got 0.32" of rain. Hardly enough to wash the dust off the vehicles.

I know the forecasters are hedging their bets about an El Niño this year, but the warm water already showed up. There's an unbelievable number of tuna off the coast here! Now it just needs to work its magic... Fingers crossed for more rain soon :)

Thank God it has rained!!!! The burn ban is OFF!!! I can fly some rockets now! :grin::clap:

I know the forecasters are hedging their bets about an El Niño this year, but the warm water already showed up. There's an unbelievable number of tuna off the coast here! Now it just needs to work its magic... Fingers crossed for more rain soon :)

I've got my fingers crossed too that this mild El Nino condition will bring plenty of rain this year. To Rbelknap's point, we need Sierra snow even more than we need rain. And El Ninos tend to drop more rain than snow, but any H2O at all will be good. Even if rain doesn't help with the snow pack and next year's water budget, it will help with these crazy fires we've been having and will bring some relief to the dry rivers and lakes.

Of course, now that we are all doing the rain dance, our launches won't be canceled due to drought this year --- they'll just be rained out.

Our problem is quite different. Last winter our entire region set records for snow. We had so many snowstorms that most cities, towns, counties, etc. ran out of, and emergency ordered more highway salt. So much salt was shipped that the salt mines used up their surplus. Since most larger cities had their own surplus supplies, which they wiped out, this year they have to order considerably more than a usual "year's worth" to resupply. But since the salt mines wiped out their surplus and have been working overtime to catch up (but are still behind), salt prices have tripled this year and the mines aren't guaranteeing that everyone will have what they ordered, or what they need before winter.

The El Nino prediction for us, is that a) winter snows may start a full month earlier than usual, and b) even though last year set records, this year could be worse.

It could be a LONG winter.

I hope those of you who desperately need the rain and snow get your fair share.

Back