Tripoli / NAR Certification crossover?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveAllen

Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently going for my NAR level 3 certification, however I was wondering about also getting a Tripoli Level 3 certification as well. Can both certifications be obtained at the same time with the same flight? I am not currently a Tripoli member, but am interested in joining Tripoli as well. Do I need to recert my level 1 & level 2 through Tripoli or do they accept my current levels and/or would they accept a current level 3 certification from NAR when joining? I am planning on doing my level 3 certification within the next month.

Tripoli and NAR certifications are reciprocal. If you join Tripoli after your L3 cert flight, include your proof of certification with your application and you'll be recognized as L3 with Tripoli.

The organizations each honor high power certifications of the other. When you join Tripoli, you can simply send a copy of your NAR credentials, and your Tripoli certification level will be set to match.

Mark

I joined Tripoli after getting my Level 2 through NAR. Just sent a photocopy of my NAR card and they started me off at Level 2.

To clarify, if I Level 3 through Tripoli (and still have my NAR membership), would NAR honor that with a Level 3 cert, or would I have to go through the NAR L3 cert process separately?

To clarify, if I Level 3 through Tripoli (and still have my NAR membership), would NAR honor that with a Level 3 cert, or would I have to go through the NAR L3 cert process separately?

It works both ways; send NAR HQ a photocopy of your TRA card that shows a new certification and Marie will update the NAR database to reflect your new level. Send TRA HQ a photocopy of your NAR card that shows a new certification level and Deb will update the TRA database to reflect your new level.

-Kevin

That's cool that Tripoli and the NAR do that. Does it work with the Jr. High Power Certification as well?

That's cool that Tripoli and the NAR do that. Does it work with the Jr. High Power Certification as well?

No. The two programs are vastly different.

NAR has junior Level 1 certifications.

Tripoli has the Tripoli Mentoring Program.

-Kevin

No. The two programs are vastly different.

NAR has junior Level 1 certifications.

Tripoli has the Tripoli Mentoring Program.

-Kevin

Okay thanks. I was pretty sure they were different I just wasn't completely sure.

Okay thanks. I was pretty sure they were different I just wasn't completely sure.

I have both, if you are interested I would reccomend you look into the TMP program as the test is really simple and common sense.

Not to mention that the TMP program gives you tons more freedom than the NAR program. NAR only allows you to launch what a Sr L1 can launch, but still under the supervision of a certified adult. On the other hand, the TMP program basically lets you launch anything that someone else (who is certified to use that motor) is willing to sign off on.

IMHO the NAR program is a waste.

Not to mention that the TMP program gives you tons more freedom than the NAR program. NAR only allows you to launch what a Sr L1 can launch, but still under the supervision of a certified adult. On the other hand, the TMP program basically lets you launch anything that someone else (who is certified to use that motor) is willing to sign off on.

IMHO the NAR program is a waste.
It's not really a waste in a case like mine. The nearest Tripoli club to me is over 5 hours away. The closest NAR club is 1.5 hours away. NAR is better for me most of the time. I really am using TMP for LDRS and that's it.

The NAR junior level 1 automatically becomes an L1 when the holder becomes 18 and it could then be transfered to Tripoli.

I have both, if you are interested I would reccomend you look into the TMP program as the test is really simple and common sense.
Yeah I've looked into the TMP program, the problem is that the nearest tripoli club doesn't have a place to meet so they haven't had any meeting for the past couple months. I'm watching their yahoo group, and their website periodically in the case that they find somewhere.

blackbrandt, do you mean that, if sometime in the future I want to launch Lv. 3 rockets and i'm still under 18 I could do that as long as I have a lv. 3 tripoli member to witness it?

If the L3 is comfortable with putting his name on the flight card, then yes.

Back