Tripoli Vis-con-sin at "The Bongster" Sept 27-28

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Malfunction Junction Madman :confused:"

I...LIKE that!:D (Considering how much press Sparkies are currently getting on the Propulsion Forum...)

Great report and, pictures Eric!:cool:

Thanks Gus and Justin!

Gus: that's a compliment! And yes, I posted extra photos of sparkies in honor of the Sparky thread!:horse::tongue:

Eric,

As honored I would be to contribute to the Frankenmag, I recovered mine and she will fly again. Considering it flew just like a lawn Jart, the blue tube held up pretty well. Thank you for the report. It's great to re-live the fun of the day. photo.jpg

Eric,

As honored I would be to contribute to the Frankenmag, I recovered mine and she will fly again. Considering it flew just like a lawn Jart, the blue tube held up pretty well. Thank you for the report. It's great to re-live the fun of the day. View attachment 185653

Think I stumbled in that hole looking for my Nuke on Sunday. LoL

Level 1 certification today at Bong... Woot!

Did you hear that? That was the sound of my budget sinking in the water next to the runway...

Wait, Erik from Rockford??!?!?!? Congrats on the Cert flight! We've been emailing one-another on occasion...in the flurry of activity we must've missed each other. Congrats again and see you at future launches!

-Eric-

Wait, Erik from Rockford??!?!?!? Congrats on the Cert flight! We've been emailing one-another on occasion...in the flurry of activity we must've missed each other. Congrats again and see you at future launches!

-Eric-

One and the same! LOL, I tried to walk around and introduce myself a little more this time instead of just launching and recovering, but obviously not enough.
Thanks on the congrats, and I'll see you around for sure!
-Erik

586_zpsaaa25442.jpg

First flight motor choice was a Loki J1001 Blue (a short lived gem) flanked by a pair of AMW by CTI I315 Skidmarks (another short lived gem). The 1001 Blue was to kick the Goblin off the pad and burnout at T+0.7 seconds, coast for 1.8 seconds, then light the Skidmark sustainer/airstarts for a boost in momentum. It did just that; I'm hoping ChuckH will post video here soon!
-Eric-

Eric - I'm always impressed by your rockets, and the Goblin happens to be one of my childhood favorites. I had an original back in 1975.

Your flight with the air start was Perfectamundo! Really enjoyed seeing that one. :cool:

Eric - I'm always impressed by your rockets, and the Goblin happens to be one of my childhood favorites. I had an original back in 1975.

Your flight with the air start was Perfectamundo! Really enjoyed seeing that one. :cool:

Thanks Scott! This one had been sitting around with loaded motors for a year and a half....I originally built it with an electronics bay but intended to do dual deploy with a tether. Decided afterward that there was enough room for conventional dual deploy, but I kept putting off the conversion. Finally got it ready and happy we were able to fly it this past weekend.

I missed the opportunity to visit with you more as well. I did say one "Hi Scott" as we passed each other by the pads.

Was that your 3"? Goblin on pad 1/2 earlier in the day?

What happened to the motor that CATO'd?

Great day of flying!!!:cool::)

-Eric-

Here's a few pics I took over the weekend, both days had great weather with almost no wind!

Clicky on pic for bigger image....

My son Brayden flew his Formula 54 on a CTI G80 skidmark.

003.jpg

Gus P's 5.5in Madcow kit on the AMW M2200 skidmark.

010.jpg

A few of the Minnie Magg drag racers...

025.jpg 028.jpg

My Intimidator 3 on a research 3 grain 54mm sparkie.

031.jpg

Eric C's rocket on a research L blue.

047.jpg 051.jpg

Chuck Swindler's 3in Darkstar on a research K Albino Assault.

041.jpg

Mike Dybul's big 'ol fiberglass kit on an Aerotech M white.

056.jpg

My trusty old 6in cluster rocket flying on a single research 5 grain 54mm K618 redneck.

003.jpg

Preston

Here's a nice pic of Brayden trying to glean knowledge from an expert. Apparently all the experts were busy so he spent some time talking to me :grin:

_DSC0009.jpg
(Props to Kevin Harnack for the photo)

Thanks so much to all who put on this launch and of course to "Lehrs' Famous Flammable Food Truck"! The lunch was fantastic. See you all (well, most of you anyway) at Princeton. I'm gonna play "make an N10,000 actually go straight up" for the entertainment of the assembled masses :rolleyes:

-Carl

See you all (well, most of you anyway) at Princeton. I'm gonna play "make an N10,000 actually go straight up" for the entertainment of the assembled masses :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it!:wink::p.

In all honesty, looking forward to seeing you and the flight at MWP. Ult. Darkstar again?

-Eric-

I'll believe it when I see it!:wink::p.

In all honesty, looking forward to seeing you and the flight at MWP. Ult. Darkstar again?

-Eric-

LOL! Yeah, I'm doing a repeat of the famous sideways flight. Same everything. Except this time, I'll keep walking with that heavy beast on my shoulder until I get to the biggest baddest launch pad available :facepalm: :rofl: :handshake: :cheers:

-Carl

H:surprised:LY Hannah and, a Handbasket! Gusmeister finally figured out what he was doing wrong and, got that video thingy to post to his You Tube account!

Quick! Check it out before I really screw things up...

[video=youtube_share;EIOR0K29Ztc]https://youtu.be/EIOR0K29Ztc[/video]

I am humbly becoming computer friendly...:rofl: Please feel free to watch any of my other videos. Just remember: I'm STILL learning about this new fangled technology stuffage. :cyclops:

Thanks Preston for the great lift off shot! ;)

Last edited:
Anyone know who was taking pictures at the launch on Sunday? Looking for some better pictures of my launches if they're out there

I had this on pad one, eventually* launched it on a CTI G57
*took a few tries :).
Rex

goblins0001.jpg

53105 - Burlington. In the town of Brighton. And with a Kansasville phone prefix.

I wonder if Bong gets their mail elsewhere, like Brighton township does. Hmmm... Looks like the zip code runs along 142 for a bit and avoids the air base.

53105 - Burlington. In the town of Brighton. And with a Kansasville phone prefix.

Charles, from what a lot of what my fellow rocketeers were saying...I think you technically live in "Nirvana Wisconsin" (It's a SPIRITUAL adventure and, a dizzying walk home.) ;)

Maybe i could *commission* you too whip up a special *mash* for me sometime...I have this idea for a most awesome homemade Tri-brid type hybrid motor formulation called: Hippopotamus Laxative. :D

So, I built this Loc Big Cletus quite a while ago. It was extended a bit so it would be the correct length for an upscale Goblin. The rocket was covered in Ultracote and peppered with Stickershock23 decals, and finally got around to flying at Bong on Saturday. Here she is with Preston's V-Max powered jobber in the background.

586_zpsaaa25442.jpg

First flight motor choice was a Loki J1001 Blue (a short lived gem) flanked by a pair of AMW by CTI I315 Skidmarks (another short lived gem). The 1001 Blue was to kick the Goblin off the pad and burnout at T+0.7 seconds, coast for 1.8 seconds, then light the Skidmark sustainer/airstarts for a boost in momentum. It did just that; I'm hoping ChuckH will post video here soon! Loki Blue is another "lotsa go, not lotsa show" motor. Nevertheless, here's a photo with the core motor burning:

592_zps12fcac5d.jpg

The Goblin landed about 200' South of where we were standing, making for an easy recovery...when I finally remembered to go and pick it up!:facepalm:

Man that had to be a cool flight...on a great cluster of motors, all of which I've always wanted to try and are now gone. Would love to see a video of this flight!!

Very cool an M2200 classic skid was burned too. I missed Jim Scarpine's in O-berg last month:-( Nothing like an original Skid! My K555SK flight back in '05 or so was one of my personal favorites. Would love to come fly with you crazy Midwesterners sometime!

There's a rumor going around that "The Haskinator" (aka *Speedy*) may have shot some video from the ground...Patiently awaiting to see the results...:yawn:

There's a rumor going around that "The Haskinator" (aka *Speedy*) may have shot some video from the ground...Patiently awaiting to see the results...:yawn:

"Speedy" is not a reference to his posting of videos. I believe he is only about one click faster then Mr. Thunderstruck. A have personally seen the process of video posting slowed down by repetitive requests. Mr C. Strives for perfection and will most likely release his masterpiece in public or private. Patience to all parties involved.

"Speedy" is not a reference to his posting of videos. I believe he is only about one click faster then Mr. Thunderstruck. A have personally seen the process of video posting slowed down by repetitive requests. Mr C. Strives for perfection and will most likely release his masterpiece in public or private. Patience to all parties involved.

Ohhhh.....:rolleyes: you know me.....:rolleyes: Chuck is the man, plus i know there WILL be a lot less expletives than in Manny's videos! :lol:

I didn't take too many videos, here's what I have:

[video=youtube_share;crheyG53dFY]https://youtu.be/crheyG53dFY[/video]

[video=youtube_share;sdBi4K1KSRc]https://youtu.be/sdBi4K1KSRc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;HeG1mg4Ou7A]https://youtu.be/HeG1mg4Ou7A[/video]

[video=youtube_share;w_rl46gnH3k]https://youtu.be/w_rl46gnH3k[/video]

[video=youtube_share;_YY-Q62dx8A]https://youtu.be/_YY-Q62dx8A[/video]

Chuck, Thank-You for ALL the videos you posted! What a great day with alot of older and, many new friends at the Bong! :D

Back