Tripoli Vis-con-sin at "The Bongster" Sept 27-28

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
Anyone else going? Or do I have to break into the equipment trailer and, *borrow* your stuff?;)
Current plan is to fly Chicago Fire Saturday on an AMW M2200 Skid and, then a small 98mm V-Max on Sunday.
Hopefully reacquaint myself with a new protege, eat a lot of Wildman's FREE steaks, spend the night with the Nobile Family, gather several pounds of Cheese Curds :D and, then drop by Sather's Rocket Dungeon on my way home to Indiana.....Ya'll welcome too join in!

Last edited:
Dang Gus! Some guys have ALL the fun! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to join you but the rocket van (A.k.a. Mobile Hangar Unit #2) only gets about 15 mpg-so-no.

Tree generations of Cayembergermeisters vill be dere to vault der cylindrical propulsive deeevices.

I'll be there Saturday, helping a couple old friends get back into the hobby and re-cert. Might bring something to fly myself. Will definitely bring my appetite!!

-Carl

I'd like to go, but mostly it would be to search for the rocket I lost at Bong last week! If anyone spots a blue rocket (Rocketarium Daedalus) with silver fins, please let me know.

In general, are low power launches also done at Tripoli events, or is it a strictly high power event?

I'd like to go, but mostly it would be to search for the rocket I lost at Bong last week! If anyone spots a blue rocket (Rocketarium Daedalus) with silver fins, please let me know.

In general, are low power launches also done at Tripoli events, or is it a strictly high power event?

LPR, MPR, HPR, Tripolli Wisconsin welcomes all!

I need to take more weekends off!

Seeya et dat dayr EM-DUBYA-PEE der dayr ay.

Yeah, I need to spend more time in Santa Cruz too...LOL

The Sager's are planning to be there on Saturday

IMGP6003.jpg

Been here for a day and a half waiting to launch. Wildman has been spotted as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Beautiful fall day at Bong -Had a great time at the launch today - will post some pictures of my rocket "Cherry Bomb" tomorrow.

For now - Here's a nice picture of some rocket folk having fun.

Thanks again for the Candy, Gus!

IMG_20140927_115815.jpg

Gus' flight was great.

My elder boy got his L1-jr flight in. (Wildman Sport, stretched for future dual deploy, on a CTI H163. Hurray!) My younger boy had a nice C6 flight of our Solar Warrior downscale.
I, on the otherhand, was 0/2. My Hummingbird upscale powered into the ground hard enough to retire. My G80 29mm min-dia was launched and lost. Had to watch Alex's cert attempt and lost sight of the streamer. Ah, well.

And yes, crazy busy at the cidery.

Gus' flight was great.

My elder boy got his L1-jr flight in. (Wildman Sport, stretched for future dual deploy, on a CTI H163. Hurray!) My younger boy had a nice C6 flight of our Solar Warrior downscale.
I, on the otherhand, was 0/2. My Hummingbird upscale powered into the ground hard enough to retire. My G80 29mm min-dia was launched and lost. Had to watch Alex's cert attempt and lost sight of the streamer. Ah, well.

And yes, crazy busy at the cidery.

Congratulations Alex!:cool:

Level 1 certification today at Bong... Woot!

Did you hear that? That was the sound of my budget sinking in the water next to the runway...

Beautiful fall day at Bong -Had a great time at the launch today - will post some pictures of my rocket "Cherry Bomb" tomorrow.

For now - Here's a nice picture of some rocket folk having fun.

Thanks again for the Candy, Gus!

Thank-you Scott, what a beautiful day to be amongst old friends, new friends and, fly with an outstanding group at Bong! Alot of you heard me talking about the starter finally going out on my pickup at 30 minutes after midnight on Friday night as i prepared to take off :rant:...necessitating a reload of ALL MY STUFF into the Camaro...
It fit but, there was more than a little foul language down on the Tree Farm at that zero hour...I guess 300,000 miles on a starter in a diesel pickup was pretty good considering the last 16 years.:rolleyes: Lucky me...

I was able to get some great video from onboard the rocket of the entire flight up to 7116' but, "He who is an analog person in a digital world" cannot for some reason get it to post to his You-Tube account. It's still in the laptop for future reference though!

I wanted to thank several people for their help and, coming by just to talk...
Manny, thank you for all your help and, just being there buddy!
Chuck S, Chuck H, Jason, Steve, Eric, Bill B....sorry we didn't get too much time to talk but, i really appreciate the time we get!

To all the new faces i had a chance to meet, i hope we can do it again at MWP12 right around the corner...There were some guys next to me that had the most AWESOME V-2 you've ever seen!:D

Obviously thanks to TWA for putting on a great show and, a VERY special thanks to Preston Nobile and, Sather Ranum who invited me into their homes on this trip for not only a place to rest but, some great food and, memories. THANK-YOU!
(Oh...and, Sather....i'm sorry i left my Altimeter bay and, electronics in your dining room:facepalm:*Duh!*....I KNOW i'll get everything back very soon....Hard to concentrate when your pushing food in my direction CONSTANTLY!):lol:

To anyone who has any video or pictures of Chicago Fire going off on Saturday that they feel they want to post...Thank-you in advance!

I thought Mikey D had one of the most incredible flights i've seen in awhile with that M-1939 on Sat. and, Eric...MAN! That Blue "L" was wicked Dude!;)
I would have been there today but, putting together that monster out of the backside of a Camaro was no fun and, i really missed my talilgate workbench...

I'll be back next year, sometime for sure.
Thank-you ALL again!:wink: Now lets all get ready to rip the sky a new one at Princeton shortly!

Cz? Good job on the L-1, it only gets more fun and, exciting (and, expensive....) from this day forward!

It would be very selfish of me not to thank my good friends Tim and, Jackie Lehr for the FREE Steak dinner on Saturday...
That was the BEST sweet corn I've had in a long time.:p

Humbly submitted...*Burp*:eek:

Thank-you Scott, what a beautiful day to be amongst old friends, new friends and, fly with an outstanding group at Bong! Alot of you heard me talking about the starter finally going out on my pickup at 30 minutes after midnight on Friday night as i prepared to take off :rant:...necessitating a reload of ALL MY STUFF into the Camaro...
It fit but, there was more than a little foul language down on the Tree Farm at that zero hour...I guess 300,000 miles on a starter in a diesel pickup was pretty good considering the last 16 years.:rolleyes: Lucky me...

I was able to get some great video from onboard the rocket of the entire flight up to 7116' but, "He who is an analog person in a digital world" cannot for some reason get it to post to his You-Tube account. It's still in the laptop for future reference though!

I wanted to thank several people for their help and, coming by just to talk...
Manny, thank you for all your help and, just being there buddy!
Chuck S, Chuck H, Jason, Steve, Eric, Bill B....sorry we didn't get too much time to talk but, i really appreciate the time we get!

To all the new faces i had a chance to meet, i hope we can do it again at MWP12 right around the corner...There were some guys next to me that had the most AWESOME V-2 you've ever seen!:D

Obviously thanks to TWA for putting on a great show and, a VERY special thanks to Preston Nobile and, Sather Ranum who invited me into their homes on this trip for not only a place to rest but, some great food and, memories. THANK-YOU!
(Oh...and, Sather....i'm sorry i left my Altimeter bay and, electronics in your dining room:facepalm:*Duh!*....I KNOW i'll get everything back very soon....Hard to concentrate when your pushing food in my direction CONSTANTLY!):lol:

To anyone who has any video or pictures of Chicago Fire going off on Saturday that they feel they want to post...Thank-you in advance!

I thought Mikey D had one of the most incredible flights i've seen in awhile with that M-1939 on Sat. and, Eric...MAN! That Blue "L" was wicked Dude!;)
I would have been there today but, putting together that monster out of the backside of a Camaro was no fun and, i really missed my talilgate workbench...

I'll be back next year, sometime for sure.
Thank-you ALL again!:wink: Now lets all get ready to rip the sky a new one at Princeton shortly!

Cz? Good job on the L-1, it only gets more fun and, exciting (and, expensive....) from this day forward!

Gus,

It was a pleasure as always my friend! Thanks for sharing Chicago Fire with the Bong-lings! M2200 skid...best 3" load EVER! Love it; and thanks for showing us the GusterVision onboard vid!

Thanks for the kudos on the motor! Both 2550 loads worked well this weekend...they were both tests for bigger things to come at MWP!

...by the way, I got photos of your flight which I'll post here shortly.

-Eric-

Hey dudes and dudettes! What a fantastic weekend for flying rockets at Bong! Thank you so much to Frank, Dan, Bob, Peg, Carol, Randy, Preston, and any other TWA compadres for putting on a fanstastic launch once again! Thank you to Tim and Jackie for putting on a fantastic meal for the hungry Wildman customers...and thanks for all the awesome custom stuff!!! Hey Tim, I did eat: corn, steak, chips, cookie, and several bottles of water...it just took me several hours to do so!

Before getting started, I want to mention that I missed photographing a lot of really good flights, and I missed visiting with many friends while there....got to see many of you, but missed several as well. Rex, I will catch up with you at MWP! Anyway, the family was on a bit of a long weekend vacation, so I was late to the field, was missing the infamous rocket shirt, and the day just ended up being a tremendous flurry of activity. I had several motors that *needed* to be burned, plus the late start, plus the rockets the kids *had to fly*, it just ended up crazy! Thanks to all for understanding, helping, and for a great day of flying.

Okay, so I could only sell one day of flying to the wife on her birthday weekend, so the following is from Saturday only. I continue to fight with the camera, sometimes it's stellar and other times not so much. I'm relearning what I thought I already knew:eyepop:. Enough babble.

Several months back, a gentleman approached me at Bong and asked me if I recognized him...why yes I did. It was Dr. Paul Yarnold, one of the original Bonglings that had moved south for warmer climates and deep sea fishing! Well, Paul is back in town, and this month he even flew rockets! As we unpacked the truck, he flew this Lil Nuke-esque rocket.

498_zps6fa6743a.jpg

At apogee, the nose barely popped and we thought she was headed for a hard landing on the gravel. To our surprise, it was a dual deploy flight and a main blossomed a few hundred feet up!

500_zps54b055e9.jpg

Before the Minie Magg drag race at noon, Tom C (my Dad) flew his 2.6" IQSY Tomahawk on a new CTI 29-5G H53 Mellow. I really like these Mellow motors. Not much in the way of a flame, but a nice hissing sound and really long burns. Made for a majestic flight of the IQSY!

509_zps24c527b1.jpg

...and then the Malfunction Junction Madman placed the Madcow Frenzy XL on the far pad with the famous AMW M2200 Skidmark. Gus's pretty bird roared to great heights with onboard video that he shared with eager onlookers onsite!

512_zps67caa461.jpg

514_zps7ec3b459.jpg

Then on to the annual Great Midwest Minie Magg Race. Folks have been drag racing Maggs at the Bong since the beginning of time, well at least since the early 90's. This year, the contest was land closest to the pads without hitting the water, or something like that. There were also prizes for some splash downs, but not all, but I'm not sure how that all worked. Anyway, prizes went to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places. Thank you to the prize donors and congrats to the winners!!!!

First salvo: there they are, and there are 6...really there are.

521_zpsf4b43f91.jpg

and there they go! CTI motors lit first:

523_zps6ef4e889.jpg

Aerotech White Lightnings lit later:

524_zpsaefdef48.jpg

Al Casper on the right had a good line off the pad; pretty sure he won first place! The Magg on the left took a left hand turn off the rail which caused a long walk, landing just shy of the corn.

525_zpsa3b8f43a.jpg

Salvo #2: Cayemberg, Pauling, Griffin, Cayemberg. (and little Nobile too).

530_zps13b336ae.jpg

FrankenMagg takes the early lead.

532_zps511029c4.jpg

TomC's Red Magg leaves alongside Braden's Red Fat Boy...kind of a funny looking Magg!

533_zpsf355ac39.jpg

One of the Maggs came in hot, I thought it was FrankenMagg until Grif announced it was his. Only then did I find Frank in the air under yellar chute! Hey Jason, if you have a scrap of the ta ta Magg, I'll find a way to add it to the FrankenMagg...that would be 7 or 8 crashed Maggs.

535_zpse47d2338.jpg

...to be continued...

If anyone comes across a 29mm min diameter rocket with a long mylar streamer, let me know. Lost sight of it when I turned to watch my Boyo's flight.

With the Maggs out of the way, it was time to test some motors. JoeL and I are teaming up for a screaming blue flight at MWP12. But before doing so, I wanted to make sure the motor would work! The 54-2550 cased full K/ baby L works out to be about an L1450. "Sconnie Blue" doesn't always produce a lot of show (colorful effects), but is always good for lots of go! Today's victim was No Thunder, which is a 5.5" cardboard rocket with foam fins, monokote covered and very light.

536_zps821f1278.jpg

This thing scooted out in a hurry. Ignition, lots of noise, a blur, and gone. Like it!

542_zps7861fb0f.jpg

Under chute after puking dog barf from the backup charge:

546_zps4e5669bb.jpg

Landing just off the runway. Note to self...take note of landing location so you don't wander aimlessly through the fields looking for a rocket that landed just off the runway.:facepalm: Scott readies his rocket on the pad; Hi Scott:D. I think the motor failed Scott if I remember correctly.

549_zps271e7c59.jpg

Jim Z flew a Drago on a G75 Metalstorm. I recognize that rocket!

552_zpsaee754c5.jpg

Three wild children flew their Wild Child(ren) on a variety of CTI G motors. The two on the left went first.

553_zps2ab4095a.jpg

The only non-Wild Child rocket on the rack was Kevin C's Maxi Magg on the venerable Aerotech K550W. Love that motor!

555_zpsd77e2d5c.jpg

556_zpsbbab29a2.jpg

Brandon and Braden teamed up to fly an Estes Ascender on an Estes F15-6 for a majestically stable boost....

561_zpsf820a84d.jpg

...which landed by Hot Tub; and subsequently was recovered/returned by Hot Tub! Thanks Jason!!!

564_zps329ed756.jpg

Al Casper stuck with White Lightning in his Proton 2.5 for a great flight!

566_zpsda2d0307.jpg

Dad (TomC) finally:wink: got Wilson ready with a Sconnie K1025 Sparky Fast. My first few iterations of sparky propellant were attempts at cloning the look and feel of one of the original sparkies, APS Spitfire, which burned really slow, had dense black smoke, and a sporadic pulsing of flame in conjuction with the inevitable sparks and resulting sound...that's a mouthful. This was the first release into the wild of a faster sparky, designed to emulate the look and feel of AMW Skidmark. Had to test this out in a 54-2550 before burning a 75-7600 and 98-2G versions at MWP12. Worked well; I like it! Pretty loud for a "little K motor".

570_zps83a26dc7.jpg

571_zpse41e33fd.jpg

573_zpsbb7b5727.jpg

572_zps05d3ba6b.jpg

and it even recovered quite well. Good show, old man!

582_zpsfc218628.jpg

...to be continued...

So, I built this Loc Big Cletus quite a while ago. It was extended a bit so it would be the correct length for an upscale Goblin. The rocket was covered in Ultracote and peppered with Stickershock23 decals, and finally got around to flying at Bong on Saturday. Here she is with Preston's V-Max powered jobber in the background.

586_zpsaaa25442.jpg

First flight motor choice was a Loki J1001 Blue (a short lived gem) flanked by a pair of AMW by CTI I315 Skidmarks (another short lived gem). The 1001 Blue was to kick the Goblin off the pad and burnout at T+0.7 seconds, coast for 1.8 seconds, then light the Skidmark sustainer/airstarts for a boost in momentum. It did just that; I'm hoping ChuckH will post video here soon! Loki Blue is another "lotsa go, not lotsa show" motor. Nevertheless, here's a photo with the core motor burning:

592_zps12fcac5d.jpg

The Goblin landed about 200' South of where we were standing, making for an easy recovery...when I finally remembered to go and pick it up!:facepalm:

597_zps1c04a6f0.jpg

Like Der Griffmeister stated above, TWA launches 'em all, big or small! Where would we be without some enthusiastic young rocketeers in our midst? They're the future of rocketry, pay attention to them and help them out! Or they might wander off and fall into the icky bong water:rolleyes::facepalm:

There was a boy from Sheboygan that was on hand, Jacob might have been his name, that Randy, Carol, Dan, and others were helping out with his first rocket flights. Here Dan is helping get their rocket off the ground in grand fashion!

588_zps45836d2d.jpg

This doesn't happen often, they look like they like each other! Boys and their Jart!

610_zps1a6e46e9.jpg

On a V F40-6 Smoky Sam; little bit "wobbly-bobbly" off the pad, I'm thinking 'cause a tracker was in there on top of the motor, shifting the CG back into the iffy range.

612_zps376843c3.jpg

Steve-O Lumberjack Hot Tub II P. very kindly walked out to recover this one. What a great group of friends, and a great day of flying! Thanks all for the fun day at the field!!!

While we out recovering the Goblin (sorry, didn't have camera), Mike 505 flew his all glass rocket on our favorite full M that's really a baby N, the fabulous Aerotech M1939W. Beautiful straight boost, but she kicked the main at apogee and drifted into a pond to the North. When we were leaving, Mike was coming back in for a life jacket...he found the rocket but needed better swimming gear. Hopefully he got it back!

See you at MWP12!!!!

-Eric-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back