BRB 900 transmitter upside down?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Any reason why I shouldn't mount my BRB900 transmitter upside down? (meaning packed in the nosecone such that the antenna is pointing down). For that matter, is there any reason why it SHOULD be pointed up?

Here's my thinking: IF the transmitter works better pointed up, then it makes sense for me to point it down. Why? Because on the descent under 'chute, my nose cone is actually hanging upside down. This is the time that I REALLY want to be getting the strongest signal back to my receiver. So, if I mount it in the nosecone upside down, it will really be right side up during the critical time. Yes?

I think I already know the answer to this question - and that is that it doesn't matter. However, I figured it would be better to verify this with those of you who know these things better than I do.

So, what do you think?

s6

Up or down doesn't matter, it still puts out vertically polarized signal as long as the rocket itself is vertical. Once it lands it will be horizontally polarized.
The attenuation between the 2 can make df'ng the unit easy.
The transmitter itself won't care which way the antenna points... ;)

Any reason why I shouldn't mount my BRB900 transmitter upside down? (meaning packed in the nosecone such that the antenna is pointing down). For that matter, is there any reason why it SHOULD be pointed up?

Here's my thinking: IF the transmitter works better pointed up, then it makes sense for me to point it down. Why? Because on the descent under 'chute, my nose cone is actually hanging upside down. This is the time that I REALLY want to be getting the strongest signal back to my receiver. So, if I mount it in the nosecone upside down, it will really be right side up during the critical time. Yes?

I think I already know the answer to this question - and that is that it doesn't matter. However, I figured it would be better to verify this with those of you who know these things better than I do.

So, what do you think?

s6

Are you mounting the unit on a board, or bubble wrapping and throwing it inside the nosecone? If the unit is loose, I would give consideration to taking care of the antenna under acceleration. You would not want the antenna to slam into a bullhead at liftoff.

If you have the "Smart" version of the BRB900 mounting it upside down will prevent it from recording data because the unit has a G switch that starts the recording. Otherwise it should work fine.

If you have the "Smart" version of the BRB900 mounting it upside down will prevent it from recording data because the unit has a G switch that starts the recording. Otherwise it should work fine.

The older BRB 900 according to the website had a G switch but the newer ones don't. I guess the new units doesn't matter what position it's in. Kurt

Back