How to paint my Batray?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
OK, TRF, what do you think? I'm trying to mimic the old Adam West Batmobile. So far, I've got a basic idea, and I'm looking for feedback on the design and on how to color the fins. I'm open to other ideas, too. I just need to know what I want to do before the final coat of primer...

1411488165913.jpg

1411488178219.jpg

1411488189695.jpg

my vote is for the first picture... or have the pinstripe just run along the outside edges of the fins...

the other option is to just buy two more batrays, and then do all 3! :)

Number 1 is best. I agree with an earlier post that if the red pinstripe followed the edge of the fin, that would be awsome! It would also be much closer to the Batmobile design where the red is used to highlight edges. A little ring of silver right at the tail might be cool. And if you can do the bat insignia outlined in white, it would be perfect. Of course, now I've asked you to do a much more complicated design! Number 1 is very nice as is.

If you're going for the Adam West Batman look, then #1 for sure. I never could figure out whey they opted to put orange on the Batmobile, but since they did....

I got a chance to meet and work with Adam West on a low budget direct-to-video movie called Maxim Xul. He was hilarious, friendly, and down to earth. He never got upset by Batman references or jokes.

In fact, there is a scene in the movie where he, the college professor who knows a little too much about ancient Babylonian deities, has to answer the phone in the foyer of his stately house. The script called for him to pick up the receiver and say "Marduc," his character's name. Instead, on the first take, he picked up the receiver and said, "Yes, Commissioner?" Everyone fell out.

BTW, he and I have same birthday, September 19. :wink:

I think I like 2 better. But maybe a combination of 1 and 3?

batrayretouch.jpg

(please excuse my piss-poor retouching. it was a quick mockup done ms-paint on a coffee break, but I hope it gets the idea across)

You could always go with my Batman Adam West costume look....

Benj-Batman.jpg

For those more partial to Superman...

Benj-Superman.jpg

You could always go with my Batman Adam West costume look....

View attachment 185152

When I did my Hyper-Bat (my fourth rocket ever), I did it in solid flat black. No decals, no highlights. It's great!...

but for your rocket, I was going to suggest a combination of photos #2 and #3. That is, I'd alternate the color fins so that one is red, one is gray and one is black. Just my thought here, that it would make it more visible, and evoke more of the 1950's-60's batman...

I love the ideas! I think I definitely like outlining the fins in red and eliminate the stripe. Remember, though, the fins have holes in the middle...
Chrome accents were definitely part of the Batmobile, so a silver NC tip will probably happen, as well as maybe a silver ring around the bottom. It'll take s little work to mock up in OR, but I'll get it posted later.

Number 1 is best. I agree with an earlier post that if the red pinstripe followed the edge of the fin, that would be awsome! It would also be much closer to the Batmobile design where the red is used to highlight edges. A little ring of silver right at the tail might be cool. And if you can do the bat insignia outlined in white, it would be perfect. Of course, now I've asked you to do a much more complicated design! Number 1 is very nice as is.

I'm up for more work. Going to make this one super nice, so I'm willing to put in the effort.
Any ideas on where I can get the bat insignia? I don't think my painting skills are up to that task

I left the fin edges flat, painting them bright yellow, along with the circles in the fins. Then I masked them off and painted the rocket a dark blue. After removing the masking it makes the fins very distinctive.

I love the ideas! I think I definitely like outlining the fins in red and eliminate the stripe. Remember, though, the fins have holes in the middle...
Chrome accents were definitely part of the Batmobile, so a silver NC tip will probably happen, as well as maybe a silver ring around the bottom. It'll take s little work to mock up in OR, but I'll get it posted later.

Oh, forgot about the holes in the middle of the batray fins. I guess you could paint silver rings around them? to invoke the feeling of the batmobile's chrome wheel hubs?

I'm up for more work. Going to make this one super nice, so I'm willing to put in the effort.
Any ideas on where I can get the bat insignia? I don't think my painting skills are up to that task

Talk to stickershock about some custom vinyl?

I like that - but what about the holes in the fins?

I'm not sure... I'm thinking that I don't want to emphasize them by painting rings around then, but I could easily mask the inside of the circle and leave it red OR, I could make them silver accents, like the tip and base.

I left the fin edges flat, painting them bright yellow, along with the circles in the fins. Then I masked them off and painted the rocket a dark blue. After removing the masking it makes the fins very distinctive.

Pictures? I left the edges flat, too.

I think #1 is closest to original Adam West Batmobile..black with red pinstripe

That being said I almost like #2 better because the fins remind me of the larger red logo on the doors .

Glad I could muddy this up some more !

Great concept..let us know when it flies and on what motors .

Kenny

I think #1 is closest to original Adam West Batmobile..black with red pinstripe

That being said I almost like #2 better because the fins remind me of the larger red logo on the doors .

Glad I could muddy this up some more !

Great concept..let us know when it flies and on what motors .

Kenny

Plan is to fly at MWP on an I180SK for my L1... Of course, that depends on that motor being available...
Thanks, and pictures will definitely be posted.

Plan is to fly at MWP on an I180SK for my L1... Of course, that depends on that motor being available...
Thanks, and pictures will definitely be posted.

I would suggest pre-ordering that motor( as well as others you may think you need) for pickup at MWP from Tim. His trailer gets pretty empty looking on a number of motors at MWP ( especially skids).

On the back, around the tube end, between the root edges of the fins -

batmobile-3.jpg

Put that silver ring on.
Remember the fire coming out of it when they would drive out of the Batcave?

I've also done a Batrok with the Batman costume colors -

Batrok.jpg

The yellow band was supposed to be the utility belt.

Last edited:
I changed my mind.. it should be pink with glitter. How many HPR rockets look like a princess barfed on them?! You could be the only one!

What about this?

I think that looks great! I'm not familiar with the kit, but if it has holes in the fins, I'd be tempted to outline those in red as well.

Here is the logo you need, and I would probably recommend to have someone print the red and white on a vinyl sticker rather than mask and paint it:

12312218004314.jpg

I got it from here:

https://www.batman-online.com/gallery/2151/1966-batmobile-door-logo-

Here's a link to the original image:

https://www.batman-online.com/images/12312218004314.jpg

Thanks, everyone for the help! I definitely have the scheme in mind... I'm not sure I want to outline the fins so heavily, since masking that will be difficult... I may just mask the edges of the fins and circles, but the idea is definitely this... Now, to get in touch with StickerShock and see what a custom sticker will cost...
Batray Image 11.jpg

Here's a crazy idea. Does anyone make a clear external camera bay? If so, you could put that on the simulate the windshield/cab.

Back